Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Does anyone have a good "recipe" for combining erythritol and stevia for baking?

I like to use a mixture of erythritol and NuNaturals pure stevia powder for baking but getting the right combination can be really, really tricky!

Baking season is upon us and I'm so tired of ruining expensive recipes just because the sweetness is not right.

Does anyone have a good recipe or a guideline they use for mastering this problem?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
I like to use a mixture of stevia and sucralose drops and granulated erythritol. I know that is not exactly what you are after but I find this trio works way better than any of the other two combined (and I have tried them combined every which way ).

For 1/2 cup sweetening equiv:
1/4 cup erythritol
20 drops liquid Stevia
8 drops EZSweets (liquid sucralose)

I have used this combo in cookies, muffins and candies (PB fudge and chocolate almond bark).

I look forward to seeing what other folks suggest.
Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Thanks Gabby, I appreciate it but I have been Splenda free for years now. I only want to use the erythritol and stevia
Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
I totally get it. That's why I am interested in the responses, too. I think Splenda has health concerns that the other sweeteners don't have. Unfortunately, my tastebuds are kind of running the show right now (up to a point- they are not allowed SUGAR! )

Let' see what the others have to say.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm not any help. Sorry. I use the combo you are talking about, but I don't know the measurements. I've always used Nu Natural's. I guess I do it without thinking about it and to my taste.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I think Maria's web site has measurements for this...I gently use one cup erythritol and 1/4 tsp Stevia powder together and get great results.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Dreamy, have you tried the NuNaturals No Carbs blend? It's erythritol and stevia already! It's VERY concentrated, comes in 3.5 ounce plastic bottle, or you can buy packets, or compressed tablets, nice for drinks.

It's mostly what I use now. Took a little bit of trial and error to get the amounts right, but for me, it seems that about 1/2 teaspoon of the No Carbs blend = about 1/2 cup sugar.

If you want some of the bulking that E can provide in granulated form, what I've done is use the amount called for in sugar (i.e., if it calls for 1 cup sugar, I use 1 cup granulated E) and then add 1/4 tsp. of the NuNaturals powder. Since the E is about 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, that seems to give the right ratio for my purposes.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 09-27-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Dreamy, have you tried the NuNaturals No Carbs blend? It's erythritol and stevia already! It's VERY concentrated, comes in 3.5 ounce plastic bottle, or you can buy packets, or compressed tablets, nice for drinks.

It's mostly what I use now. Took a little bit of trial and error to get the amounts right, but for me, it seems that about 1/2 teaspoon of the No Carbs blend = about 1/2 cup sugar.

If you want some of the bulking that E can provide in granulated form, what I've done is use the amount called for in sugar (i.e., if it calls for 1 cup sugar, I use 1 cup granulated E) and then add 1/4 tsp. of the NuNaturals powder. Since the E is about 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, that seems to give the right ratio for my purposes.
Hi Charski I do use the NuNaturals No Carbs blend for my yogurt. Funny that it never even occurred to me to use it for baking. I only have it in the packets. I will have to to get a bottle of it so it would be easier to measure for baking purposes. So about 1 teaspoon = 1 cup of sugar. That seems very doable and easy. I will have to try that.

I will also have to keep in mind the blending of 1 cup of E and 1/4 tsp of NuNaturals. Thanks Charski and Iterry!

I wonder if it's cheaper to use the NuNaturals No carb blend or the E&S for baking. I will have to do some cost comparison.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #9

I DO know one thing. Using 1 teaspoon of the NuNaturals no carb blend to equal 1 cup of sugar would be SO MUCH easier than measuring out a cup of erythritol, then grinding it up to powder it and then adding stevia and praying that it turns out OK!!! And take up a lot less space in the cabinet! Win/win!!!

It makes me want to bake something just so I can try it to see if it works. I'm excited LOL!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
LOL! Well keep in mind - everyone's tastes are different - so you might want to start with less, taste, see if it needs more. I tend to like things on the sweet side!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Homemade “Truvia” Sweetener

Makes 1/4 cup sweetener substitute

1/8 teaspoon good tasting stevia extract (I use NuNaturals pure white stevia extract)
1/4 cup erythritol

Add ingredients to plastic baggie. Shake baggie well to mix sweeteners. To replace 1 cup of Truvia, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pure stevia extract with 1 cup erythritol. Enjoy!
——————————————–

This is from Lauren of healthy indugences.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
Homemade “Truvia” Sweetener

Makes 1/4 cup sweetener substitute

1/8 teaspoon good tasting stevia extract (I use NuNaturals pure white stevia extract)
1/4 cup erythritol

Add ingredients to plastic baggie. Shake baggie well to mix sweeteners. To replace 1 cup of Truvia, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pure stevia extract with 1 cup erythritol. Enjoy!
——————————————–

This is from Lauren of healthy indugences.
This is the ratio I used as well. I like it a lot and it tastes even better than brand name Truvia. I make it in one cup portions.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 09-27-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #13

Thanks, thanks and thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I tend to like things on the sweet side!
Me toooooooooooo!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #15

Charski, Lauren makes hers even sweeter than yours

Charski - 1 cup Erythritol + 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia

Lauren - 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia

Good to know, will have to experiment!

But the no carbs blend, if I can get that to work.....SOOOO nice and easy!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UriahSeth
So are we saying that 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar? I want to make a blend that sits in my cabinet for everyone to use like sugar..
UriahSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahSeth View Post
So are we saying that 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar? I want to make a blend that sits in my cabinet for everyone to use like sugar..
It works for me that way, though the NuNaturals changed their formula I think. You may need to buy another brand. It needs to be 100% pure stevia powder with no fillers. Lauren on Healthy Indulgences now recommends the Mood & Mind brand. I still have plenty left of the old NuNaturals though.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
I think you're right about NuNaturals changing their formula. I just bought a bunch of different stevia blends. The pure stevia powder is not as sweet as my previous bottle and it tastes different.

I was really disappointed since I now have about 2 years supply!

I noticed (after placing and receiving my order) Lauren was using Mood & Mind brand. Now I know why.

Last edited by Dutzie; 11-18-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote