Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Does anyone have a good "recipe" for combining erythritol and stevia for baking? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812961-does-anyone-have-good-recipe-combining-erythritol-stevia-baking.html)

Dreamchaser 09-26-2013 11:55 AM

Does anyone have a good "recipe" for combining erythritol and stevia for baking?
 
I like to use a mixture of erythritol and NuNaturals pure stevia powder for baking but getting the right combination can be really, really tricky! :stars:

Baking season is upon us and I'm so tired of ruining expensive recipes just because the sweetness is not right. :sad:

Does anyone have a good recipe or a guideline they use for mastering this problem?

Gabby1 09-26-2013 12:03 PM

I like to use a mixture of stevia and sucralose drops and granulated erythritol. I know that is not exactly what you are after but I find this trio works way better than any of the other two combined (and I have tried them combined every which way :p).

For 1/2 cup sweetening equiv:
1/4 cup erythritol
20 drops liquid Stevia
8 drops EZSweets (liquid sucralose)

I have used this combo in cookies, muffins and candies (PB fudge and chocolate almond bark).

I look forward to seeing what other folks suggest.
Gabby

Dreamchaser 09-26-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks Gabby, I appreciate it but I have been Splenda free for years now. I only want to use the erythritol and stevia :)

Gabby1 09-26-2013 12:16 PM

I totally get it. That's why I am interested in the responses, too. I think Splenda has health concerns that the other sweeteners don't have. Unfortunately, my tastebuds are kind of running the show right now (up to a point- they are not allowed SUGAR! :laugh:)

Let' see what the others have to say.

rosethorns 09-26-2013 01:38 PM

I'm not any help. Sorry. I use the combo you are talking about, but I don't know the measurements. I've always used Nu Natural's. I guess I do it without thinking about it and to my taste.

lterry913 09-27-2013 07:59 AM

I think Maria's web site has measurements for this...I gently use one cup erythritol and 1/4 tsp Stevia powder together and get great results.

Charski 09-27-2013 08:14 AM

Dreamy, have you tried the NuNaturals No Carbs blend? It's erythritol and stevia already! It's VERY concentrated, comes in 3.5 ounce plastic bottle, or you can buy packets, or compressed tablets, nice for drinks.

It's mostly what I use now. Took a little bit of trial and error to get the amounts right, but for me, it seems that about 1/2 teaspoon of the No Carbs blend = about 1/2 cup sugar.

If you want some of the bulking that E can provide in granulated form, what I've done is use the amount called for in sugar (i.e., if it calls for 1 cup sugar, I use 1 cup granulated E) and then add 1/4 tsp. of the NuNaturals powder. Since the E is about 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, that seems to give the right ratio for my purposes.

Dreamchaser 09-27-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16621178)
Dreamy, have you tried the NuNaturals No Carbs blend? It's erythritol and stevia already! It's VERY concentrated, comes in 3.5 ounce plastic bottle, or you can buy packets, or compressed tablets, nice for drinks.

It's mostly what I use now. Took a little bit of trial and error to get the amounts right, but for me, it seems that about 1/2 teaspoon of the No Carbs blend = about 1/2 cup sugar.

If you want some of the bulking that E can provide in granulated form, what I've done is use the amount called for in sugar (i.e., if it calls for 1 cup sugar, I use 1 cup granulated E) and then add 1/4 tsp. of the NuNaturals powder. Since the E is about 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, that seems to give the right ratio for my purposes.

Hi Charski :) I do use the NuNaturals No Carbs blend for my yogurt. Funny that it never even occurred to me to use it for baking. I only have it in the packets. I will have to to get a bottle of it so it would be easier to measure for baking purposes. So about 1 teaspoon = 1 cup of sugar. That seems very doable and easy. I will have to try that.

I will also have to keep in mind the blending of 1 cup of E and 1/4 tsp of NuNaturals. Thanks Charski and Iterry! :clap:

I wonder if it's cheaper to use the NuNaturals No carb blend or the E&S for baking. I will have to do some cost comparison.

Thanks everyone! :up:

Dreamchaser 09-27-2013 02:28 PM

I DO know one thing. Using 1 teaspoon of the NuNaturals no carb blend to equal 1 cup of sugar would be SO MUCH easier than measuring out a cup of erythritol, then grinding it up to powder it and then adding stevia and praying that it turns out OK!!! :stars: And take up a lot less space in the cabinet! Win/win!!! :cool:

It makes me want to bake something just so I can try it to see if it works. I'm excited LOL! :jumpjoy:

Charski 09-27-2013 03:26 PM

LOL! Well keep in mind - everyone's tastes are different - so you might want to start with less, taste, see if it needs more. I tend to like things on the sweet side! :D

dmburk 09-27-2013 05:57 PM

Homemade “Truvia” Sweetener


Makes 1/4 cup sweetener substitute


1/8 teaspoon good tasting stevia extract (I use NuNaturals pure white stevia extract)
1/4 cup erythritol

Add ingredients to plastic baggie. Shake baggie well to mix sweeteners. To replace 1 cup of Truvia, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pure stevia extract with 1 cup erythritol. Enjoy!
——————————————–

This is from Lauren of healthy indugences.

Mistizoom 09-27-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmburk (Post 16621865)
Homemade “Truvia” Sweetener


Makes 1/4 cup sweetener substitute


1/8 teaspoon good tasting stevia extract (I use NuNaturals pure white stevia extract)
1/4 cup erythritol

Add ingredients to plastic baggie. Shake baggie well to mix sweeteners. To replace 1 cup of Truvia, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pure stevia extract with 1 cup erythritol. Enjoy!
——————————————–

This is from Lauren of healthy indugences.

This is the ratio I used as well. I like it a lot and it tastes even better than brand name Truvia. I make it in one cup portions.

Dreamchaser 09-27-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks, thanks and thanks! :)

Dreamchaser 09-27-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16621688)
I tend to like things on the sweet side! :D

Me toooooooooooo!

Dreamchaser 09-27-2013 07:19 PM

Charski, Lauren makes hers even sweeter than yours :)

Charski - 1 cup Erythritol + 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia

Lauren - 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia

Good to know, will have to experiment! :up:

But the no carbs blend, if I can get that to work.....SOOOO nice and easy! :high5:

UriahSeth 11-18-2013 12:01 PM

So are we saying that 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar? I want to make a blend that sits in my cabinet for everyone to use like sugar..

Mistizoom 11-18-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UriahSeth (Post 16687680)
So are we saying that 1 cup Erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar? I want to make a blend that sits in my cabinet for everyone to use like sugar..

It works for me that way, though the NuNaturals changed their formula I think. You may need to buy another brand. It needs to be 100% pure stevia powder with no fillers. Lauren on Healthy Indulgences now recommends the Mood & Mind brand. I still have plenty left of the old NuNaturals though.

Dutzie 11-18-2013 02:58 PM

I think you're right about NuNaturals changing their formula. I just bought a bunch of different stevia blends. The pure stevia powder is not as sweet as my previous bottle and it tastes different.

I was really disappointed since I now have about 2 years supply! :(

I noticed (after placing and receiving my order) Lauren was using Mood & Mind brand. Now I know why.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 AM.