Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
"Kitchen Sink" spaghetti carbonara

Spaghetti carbonara is my favorite dish in the world. In my opinion, it's also the best possible delivery method for bacon and eggs. I've lost the weight you see in my profile while eating a ridiculous number of servings of carbonara over the years. I've used Dreamfield quite a bit in the past, when I was more overweight and loss was easier; lately I use shirataki blend noodles, Nasoya in particular. House brand tofu fettuccine also does in a pinch.

I call it kitchen sink carbonara because I'm literally throwing in everything I've ever seen a TV chef put into spaghetti carbonara. ("Everything but the kitchen sink".) Most of these extra ingredients are absolutely not traditional ingredients for the dish. But it is unbelievably flavorful. I'm also using a pretty high ratio of bacon/eggs/parm to pasta compared to other recipes. I'm a high-appetite person and the richness of the dish is appealing to me; by all means cut it down a bit if you'd like. Meanwhile, double the recipe for two big eaters.

If you don't have any of these ingredients except bacon, eggs and Parmesan (and salt and pepper) you STILL have the stuff needed for traditional carbonara, so please google a more general recipe--even without bells and whistles this is an amazing dish for lowcarb.

3-4 oz bacon, pancetta or guanciale, chunky dice
3 egg yolks
1/4-1/2 cup grated parm (not the green can please)
1 garlic clove, minced
A glug of heavy cream (1/4c or so; optional though)
Splash of vermouth
Salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Zest of one lemon
Pasta replacement of choice, whatever amount will make a large single portion if you are a big eater, or two medium portions. (Sorry, for me this is about 1.5 bags of shirataki noodles, or 3-4 oz dry spaghetti. I can eat a lot.)

Cook the bacon (or other) in a large skillet till nicely browned but not crispy. Feel free to drain off excess fat (I usually don't unless it's grocery store bacon that leaves a LOT of grease).

While it's cooking, combine the egg yolks, cream, Parmesan and lemon zest in a bowl. It should be a thick saucy consistency.

When the bacon is cooked to your liking, add the garlic and pepper/red pepper. Give the garlic a minute or two to cook, then add a splash (even a few tbs will increase flavor) of dry vermouth (not sweet!) to pan. Let this reduce over medium heat for a bit. You don't want a lot of liquid in the pan at the end, a few tbs is fine.

What you do next depends on what pasta you are using. For Dreamfield, drain the pasta and immediately dump it while hot into the skillet with the bacon. Turn off heat. Toss to combine. Then comes the tricky part of carbonara. You want to add your egg mixture, but you want to thicken the sauce, not scramble the eggs. If you are using a very heavy pan, or were cooking over a very high heat, you might want to give it just a minute before you add the add the sauce. When you do, dump it all in at once and stir constantly to combine. If everything was hot enough, you will see it start come together very quickly into a thick delicious sauce. (If you're nervous about this step, watch a few YouTube or food network videos of chefs making carbonara.)

If you did not have enough heat, or you are using a replacement such as shirataki noodles, you may need to turn the heat on again. Use medium heat, keep stirring, and be patient. This part can take a few minutes, but eventually the sauce will thicken up like magic. (Note: I have only used tofu shirataki or Nasoya brand (the best, in my opinion), I don't know if 100% konjac noodles would ever combine properly. Either way dry out your shirataki noodles thoroughly ahead of time.)

Add more salt, pepper and red pepper to taste (the traditional dish is supposed to be peppery).

Warning: when the vermouth hits the pan with bacon and garlic, be prepared for people in your house to suddenly appear at your shoulder to find out what smells so amazing.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Skettie

yummy!
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
This sounds so delicious!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Do the shirataki pasta smell like fish to any of you? I can't even stand to open the package. I do use the dreamfields but wish I could stand the less carby pastas. I love carbonara! It was always my favorite pasta dish. Then the low fat stuff emerged and I fell for the hype. Need to get back into making this. I bet it would be good with veggies too. Would make it pasta carbonara ala primavara I guess. 8)
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
It always smells fishy before, and sometimes after, I rinse it. That said, I have never, ever detected a fishy taste.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
cselzler, that fishy smell is the preservative liquid. Rinse the noodles really well, cut them into shorter strands, and fry them in a dry frying pan for 3-5 minutes. Then add them to whatever dish you want.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
This would be yummy with spaghetti squash as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
It always smells fishy before, and sometimes after, I rinse it. That said, I have never, ever detected a fishy taste.
This! For such a strange odor, I never detect any fish taste. I do always eat these with other strong flavors, but I rinse them very well before starting whatever I am making.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Also would be excellent with zoodles - I'd dry-fry them a bit first to get them to give off their liquid, and let that cook off, before adding to the sauce though.

I LOVE carbonara and haven't made any in a LONG time - so thanks for the reminder, and love the "kitchen sink" version!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
SOUNDS DELICIOUS! I think I'll try it on shirataki tofu noodles first. Then on zoodles. Thanks!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
fishy smell

Well since I start gagging the minute I open the bag I never got to the point of draining the noodles. Maybe if there were someone else to do the open, drain, rinse part, I could get to actually try them.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Well since I start gagging the minute I open the bag I never got to the point of draining the noodles. Maybe if there were someone else to do the open, drain, rinse part, I could get to actually try them.
I hold my breath until they've been rinsing for about 10 seconds.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote