Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Low Carb Recipes Nasty

Every low carb recepie i have tried is nasty or even just the recipe/picture looks nasty and i don't wanna cook it. I have been on low carb for almost two months and have lost almost 20 pounds but i am getting sick of fish and fruit/veggies. i wanna start experimenting with cookies etc. but ugh, nasty. Does anyone suggest a way to make a normal recipe low carb by just swapping certain ingredients out?
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,220
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Welcome to LowCarbFriends, Rachinator87 and congrats on losing 20# in your first 2 months. Wow, that's a pretty broad statement to make about low-carb food in general. Clearly you haven't found the RIGHT websites with the GORGEOUS pictures I'm looking at everyday on my fav low-carb sites. I'll agree, I've seen some pretty unappetizing LC pics; and have cooked some pretty not-so-good LC recipes, but man, oh, man, have I ever seen and tried some GREAT ones. Created a few myself in the last 4 years of LC'ing.

Since it sounds like you're looking for easy, you might take a look at this 3-ingredient recipe thread: 3 ingredient recipes . I pride myself on creating recipes that are easy, as I'm a lazy cook. Check out my website sometime. You can count on 1 hand the number of recipes there that are a bit more involved and take more than 20-30 minutes to throw together.

Learning to just substitute out this ingredient for that ingredient isn't so black-and-white, particularly when it come to LC baking. That is almost a science unto itself that has taken most of us kitchen experimentors a LOT of man hours in the kitchen. So I would recommend relying on the recipes others have created, tested, and that have been shared on forums, with user feedback.

Anyway, best wishes in finding just what you are looking for in LC foods. This place has lots of GREAT cooks posting recipes regularly that rival their higher-carb counterparts. Stick around and spend a little time browsing here.
__________________
Peggy
My recipe website: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/
My Facebook recipe page: http://www.facebook.com/buttonilowcarbrecipes

Last edited by buttoni; 09-22-2013 at 03:45 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,475
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Have you tried any of the recipes on THIS site? Because there are TONS of good to excellent recipes here. Look for those with lots of responses. There are ones for cookies, cakes, cupcakes, Danish, cheesecakes, brownies. If you can't find something you like here - um, not sure WHAT to say about THAT!

Congrats on the 20# lost.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelby'snana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: middle of nowhere, Tx
Posts: 5,815
Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I agree.....there are some GREAT LC cooks and recipes out there !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,585
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow that's a shame you feel that way. It takes alot to change a recipe.

We have some major cooks here. Wow

Congrats on 20 lbs.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 38,366
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Gosh..that is not my experience here..So sorry..Most of my friends want to have a copy of the recipes I've made for them.

However, you have to pick and choose..CarbQuick is hard to work with, but almond flour, etc..gives a nice flavor.

Hope you have more success..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Rachinator, you need a good cookbook or two, without overtly talking about the Low-Carbing Among Friends books. I have a great Gluten-Free Low-Carb Bake mix that you can substitute in all your regular cookie recipes and other baking recipes. I have one that uses xanthan gum, but lately I'm using the same bake mix (version 2) with gelatin in the recipes instead (healthier, I think - actually gelatin is really good for one's health and joints, etc.). I believe I posted one of the bake mixes in the Gluten-Free room in the sticky over there.

There is also a popular bake mix (better than flour mix) on this forum that is fairly high in fiber, but if you like that, it's another alternative, and it is super low-carb.

Low-carb baking definitely requires a little bit of a learning curve, however, you just need to find your favorite peeps on here (people like Peggy, Carolyn, Barbo, Char, Dottie and many others have excellent TNT recipes) or on blogs or on Facebook that you feel comfortable with and feel you can trust their recipes. Low-carb baking should be as good as regular baking. There is a slight difference and if you are still craving sugary, white flour desserts, the low-carb baking is not quite the same. However, you get used to it and in my opinion it is typically just as good, if not better in many cases. Certainly they are much healthier baked goods and if your baking is not up to par at the moment, it soon will be. Hang in there!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 09-22-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,652
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
not sure, you all may be missing the point. if rachinator87 doesn't like the sound or pictures on ANY of the low carb recipes she has looked at, that's pretty serious!

rachinator87, do you think you might have a prejudice toward these things that keeps you from seeing them in a positive light? It's true that there are lots of good recipes on this site, but seeing them as appealing is more about your mind than the recipe.

if you are talking about cookies, there are ways to make a high carb recipe low carb by swapping out ingredients, and that is what you are looking at and dismissing, so it's hard to advise you. the substitutions needed to make a GOOD low carb baked product are more extensive than you might like. for example, more eggs are often used to make up for the different properties of the low carb "flour" mixtures vs. wheat flour.

maybe you need to start slowly and make very small batches of things until you find something you enjoy.
__________________
Often I don't come back to read threads where I've posted. If you want me to see something, please send me a private message. Thanks!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bar10der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: forsaken desert
Posts: 13,333
Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Every low carb recepie i have tried is nasty or even just the recipe/picture looks nasty and i don't wanna cook it. I have been on low carb for almost two months and have lost almost 20 pounds but i am getting sick of fish and fruit/veggies. i wanna start experimenting with cookies etc. but ugh, nasty. Does anyone suggest a way to make a normal recipe low carb by just swapping certain ingredients out?
on your 20# loss!

However, are you ONLY eating fish for protein? Would you care to enlighten us on your meal menus?

What kind of sweets/cookies do you want?

ETA: This is your first post and you have not come back to check on any responses/suggestions?????

Last edited by Bar10der; 09-23-2013 at 12:21 AM..
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 337
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Every low carb recepie i have tried is nasty or even just the recipe/picture looks nasty and i don't wanna cook it. I have been on low carb for almost two months and have lost almost 20 pounds but i am getting sick of fish and fruit/veggies. i wanna start experimenting with cookies etc. but ugh, nasty. Does anyone suggest a way to make a normal recipe low carb by just swapping certain ingredients out?
First of all -- Wow! Congtats on your 20 lb. weight loss! Woot! Woot!
I admit I have tried some LC recipes that were simply inedible and a waste of ingredients, but I'd say that was the exception rather than the norm. I have also looked at tons of LC food pics, and I can't say that any really looked nasty to me. Where are these pics, if I may ask?

As for just swapping out HC ingredients for LC in baking, well, it's often much more complicated than that. Things don't always behave the same way, if that makes sense. You are best to locate and follow recipes that have already been tried and proven. Now, once you have built up quite a bit of experience with said LC baking ingredients, then you could try your hand at swapping things out. But, and this is a big BUT, there is a LC recipe for nearly every baked good at this point.

If you are tired of fish, then simply swap out your protein. I don't believe we are required to only eat fish. You have a plethora of options, and not every meal must include any protein whatsoever. I mean, there are vegetarians who do low carb.

It sounds to me like you are ready to branch out, but you haven't quite found excellent resources for recipes to do so. Once you can come back and provide us with more information, I believe we can help you. If you don't come back, then we are going to assume you just came to vent rather than find solutions. We hope you come back so we can help you.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
Jaycey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK & Majorca
Posts: 42
Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I admit I have tried some LC recipes that were simply inedible and a waste of ingredients, but I'd say that was the exception rather than the norm.
Me too, oh yes - but you have to carry on, grimly determined! It's very easy to screw up any baking recipe, low carb or not - but good cooks don't just toss the baking trays out of the window and head for the nearest supermarket, they keep on going until they've made something good (often another recipe tweaked by themselves) - then you get such a sense of achievement!

I've had disasters, I think we all have, but it's another learning experience and you can then tick off the types of recipes that appeal to you and those that don't. (I recently made an LC 'cornbread' but substituted sesame flour for the almond as an experiment - yikes! It was SO sesame-tasting I couldn't eat it! Determined not to waste my ingredients, I pushed the whole lot through a mincer, mixed it with grated cheese, and used it as a topping for a savoury bake. Success! It didn't work as a bread, but worked as a tasty savoury topping - however, I shan't be making that particular 'cornbread' again, lol.)

If you keep bashing away at the recipes, I think favourites will emerge - those are the ones you'll do again and again. I now have one favourite flatbread recipe - I try others but I always return to that one. It's spreadable, toastable, fryable and tasty. It does for me!
Jaycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,420
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Every low carb recepie i have tried is nasty or even just the recipe/picture looks nasty and i don't wanna cook it. I have been on low carb for almost two months and have lost almost 20 pounds but i am getting sick of fish and fruit/veggies. i wanna start experimenting with cookies etc. but ugh, nasty. Does anyone suggest a way to make a normal recipe low carb by just swapping certain ingredients out?
So...what recipes have you tried?


Remember, nothing that is LC is going to taste like the high carb original--you will have to let your taste buds learn to accept LC sweets.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,585
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Low carb is not just fish, fruit , veggies. We have tried very hard to make foods that are better for us.There are so many recipes to start with. Why don't you gives us an idea what you are craving. Then we can help.

A big red steak w/ compound butter sounds really good.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,375
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Reading your post...let's start out with what do you like? If you were eating as you ate before low carb? Just remember that it takes a while to retrain your taste buds. If what you usually ate were fast food types of dishes, pizza, burgers, taco's etc. You can do this on low carb but often it does require effort on your part to cook them.

I must agree also that I eat very well on low carb. So much so that my daughter who doesn't do low carb loves what I make. I eat pizza making the crust from the first Low carbing among friends cook book (Jennifer Pizza crust) However, I am reading rave reviews about the "Fat head pizza crust" If you look down the posts you will see where I posted about it. That one looks easy peasy!! Almond flour + cream cheese and shredded cheese (it calls for Mozzarella but you can use cheddar in a crust like this) Broaden your minds and step out from what you usually eat. tell us what you have made that you really hate.
Also you cannot eat breaded fish or anything with flour, sugar, rice, pasta etc but there are some amazing dishes if you give them a chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post

Low carb is not just fish, fruit , veggies. We have tried very hard to make foods that are better for us.There are so many recipes to start with. Why don't you gives us an idea what you are craving. Then we can help.

A big red steak w/ compound butter sounds really good.
This is very true. Have you read any of the low carb cook books? It isn't at all about eating just fish and induction you don't eat fruit for the first two weeks anyway and even after only berries not apples or bananas, veggies also are limited as you do not eat peas, carrots, potatoes, corn etc.
__________________
~~Anita~~
Celebrated Atkins for 10+ years!
Read how low carb saved my life
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 09-23-2013 at 09:00 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Every low carb recepie i have tried is nasty or even just the recipe/picture looks nasty and i don't wanna cook it. I have been on low carb for almost two months and have lost almost 20 pounds but i am getting sick of fish and fruit/veggies. i wanna start experimenting with cookies etc. but ugh, nasty. Does anyone suggest a way to make a normal recipe low carb by just swapping certain ingredients out?
Hi! Simple advice: Don't make recipes. Go for good old bacon and eggs, salads, and the kinds of things Atkins initially recommended for the most part, sans the food replacements people typically miss (like bread?). Eat simply. Who says you need recipes to be healthy?

Once your tastes have changed, your expectations of what foods make you feel terrific will, too. At that point, maybe a recipe here or there might fit your needs. Still, if not, that's no big. Millions of people thrived on Atkins pre-substitutions and fared perfectly well on burgers topped with lettuce and mayonnaise.
__________________
Jamie

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Well the reason i said fish fruits and veggies was just a generality. I am a pescatarian so no meat just fish. I tried a stuffed mushroom recipe i really really liked. I eat alot of yogurt with fruit. I also do a meal of oranges and other times a meal of apples. I tried a LC cheesecake for me and my boyfriend (who eats normally) but we both didn't like it. Maybe i just need to find the right Artificial sweetener. I haven't read or bought any LC cookbooks, I am just looking at LC blogs. Sorry I am not responding back fast enough, I am a very busy entrepreneur and own my own business.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Low Carb baking mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Rachinator, you need a good cookbook or two, without overtly talking about the Low-Carbing Among Friends books. I have a great Gluten-Free Low-Carb Bake mix that you can substitute in all your regular cookie recipes and other baking recipes. I have one that uses xanthan gum, but lately I'm using the same bake mix (version 2) with gelatin in the recipes instead (healthier, I think - actually gelatin is really good for one's health and joints, etc.). I believe I posted one of the bake mixes in the Gluten-Free room in the sticky over there.

There is also a popular bake mix (better than flour mix) on this forum that is fairly high in fiber, but if you like that, it's another alternative, and it is super low-carb.

Low-carb baking definitely requires a little bit of a learning curve, however, you just need to find your favorite peeps on here (people like Peggy, Carolyn, Barbo, Char, Dottie and many others have excellent TNT recipes) or on blogs or on Facebook that you feel comfortable with and feel you can trust their recipes. Low-carb baking should be as good as regular baking. There is a slight difference and if you are still craving sugary, white flour desserts, the low-carb baking is not quite the same. However, you get used to it and in my opinion it is typically just as good, if not better in many cases. Certainly they are much healthier baked goods and if your baking is not up to par at the moment, it soon will be. Hang in there!
What is the name of that mix? I have been looking on amazon but scared to take the jump.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
It's called the Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix, but since you are a pescatarian, you probably don't want to be using gelatin? I don't know how strict you are. The other bake mix uses xanthan gum - called Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1 and Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2. You won't find the bake mixes on Amazon, just in our cookbooks and on here and on my blog (see my siggie).

You can find the first bake mix right here on lowcarbfriends.com in the gluten-free room in the sticky. Hope that helps.

It's a great mix to substitute for flour in your favorite recipes. Just read the instructions carefully first. I've had great success and so have others as I've had dozens of emails and comments on my blog and on the team's Facebook. I'd suggest first trying some of my recipes using the bake mix to get a feel for it.

You'll get there! I can totally relate to needing to be able to bake like before. Another person I highly recommend you check out is Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food - her hobby is baking and it shows!

Yes, I think you need to find a sweetener (or typically two for the synergy) that you're happy with. I cannot have stevia as it tastes bitter to me, so I mix erythritol and EZ-Sweetz (both also available on Netrition.com). I've used sucralose for over 20 years in great quantities without problems and my children grew up on it. However, I recognize that the campaign to destroy sucralose has been very effective and many, if not most, people are afraid of it....so find something that you like, you are comfortable with and tastes good to you. If your sweetener does not taste good to you, your baking will be off. That may be key, as you already mentioned. Some people like Swerve or Just Like Sugar, etc. Even Whey Low is what some people use....I don't think it is low-carb enough, but it is apparently low glycemic.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,269
Gallery: helenback
oops.. just saw that you are a pescatarian.. my response.. made no sense.. so I eliminated it.

Last edited by helenback; 09-23-2013 at 07:53 PM..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Maybe i just need to find the right Artificial sweetener.
Aha! We are like twins.

I'm a super taster and there are a lot of sweeteners out there I seriously can't stand. They either taste like chemicals, they spike my blood sugar, or they plain bite.

That said, the sweetener I have had the best luck with was a 50/50 mix of xylitol and Splenda. That seems to deliver the best, most "real" sweet.

You're going to find over time that the most realistic results will come from combinations of sweeteners rather than one.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 337
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Well the reason i said fish fruits and veggies was just a generality. I am a pescatarian so no meat just fish. I tried a stuffed mushroom recipe i really really liked. I eat alot of yogurt with fruit. I also do a meal of oranges and other times a meal of apples. I tried a LC cheesecake for me and my boyfriend (who eats normally) but we both didn't like it. Maybe i just need to find the right Artificial sweetener. I haven't read or bought any LC cookbooks, I am just looking at LC blogs. Sorry I am not responding back fast enough, I am a very busy entrepreneur and own my own business.
Ohhh....thanks for clarifying that. So if you are eating meals of apples and oranges, which variation of LC are you doing?

Can you tell us about this cheesecake recipe you tried? Maybe we can offer suggestions.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Ohhh....thanks for clarifying that. So if you are eating meals of apples and oranges, which variation of LC are you doing?

Can you tell us about this cheesecake recipe you tried? Maybe we can offer suggestions.
My doctor told me i need to do the Glycemic load diet. I am pre diabetic and I am trying very hard to be healthy now so i don't get diabetes. this is the recipe i tried Low-Carb Cheesecake - Sugar-Free Cheesecake Recipe
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,375
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
If you go to youtube and type in Dr. James Carlson sugar is sugar he has numerous video's. He is a molecular biologist as well as a regular MD. He wrote a book called GENOCIDE! HOW YOUR DOCTOR’S DIETARY
IGNORANCE WILL KILL YOU !!!!

He explains in detail what happens to us when we eat sugar. He said it doesn't matter whether it the sugar in an apple or orange compared to the sugar in a candy bar. That our body cannot distinguish the difference between the sugars. He says, "Sugar is Sugar is Sugar"

So eating oranges, grapes and apples really hits your blood stream fast as if your eating a candy bar. If you have lost all the weight you need you can eat these but only in moderation. Google glycemic index. Everyone's pancreas secretes insulin when we eat carbs be it in sugar or other foods. How much insulin it the pancreas shoots out depends on the sugar content of our foods. A potato and other high carb foods actually turn into sugar in our bodies. Which is why diabetics find that a low carb diet really helps them control their blood sugar levels. This works for anyone trying to eat healthy and avoid diabetes.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 09-24-2013 at 09:58 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
If you go to youtube and type in Dr. James Carlson sugar is sugar he has numerous video's. He is a molecular biologist as well as a regular MD. He wrote a book called GENOCIDE! HOW YOUR DOCTOR’S DIETARY
IGNORANCE WILL KILL YOU !!!!

He explains in detail what happens to us when we eat sugar. He said it doesn't matter whether it the sugar in an apple or orange compared to the sugar in a candy bar. That our body cannot distinguish the difference between the sugars. He says, "Sugar is Sugar is Sugar"

So eating oranges, grapes and apples really hits your blood stream fast as if your eating a candy bar. If you have lost all the weight you need you can eat these but only in moderation. Google glycemic index. Everyone's pancreas secretes insulin when we eat carbs be it in sugar or other foods. How much insulin it the pancreas shoots out depends on the sugar content of our foods. Which is why diabetics find that a low carb diet really helps them control their blood sugar levels. This works for anyone trying to eat healthy and avoid diabetes.
maybe i should just live off water and carrots
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,375
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
maybe i should just live off water and carrots
Hun I am not being nasty, just trying to teach you what I have learned. If you are eating this way to avoid diabetes all knowledge is power

Last edited by SkeeterN; 09-24-2013 at 10:01 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Hun I am not being nasty, just trying to teach you what I have learned. If you are eating this way to avoid diabetes all knowledge is power
I am seriously feeling frustrated, so so so many things i can't eat.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 337
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
My doctor told me i need to do the Glycemic load diet. I am pre diabetic and I am trying very hard to be healthy now so i don't get diabetes. this is the recipe i tried Low-Carb Cheesecake - Sugar-Free Cheesecake Recipe
Oh, OK. Good for you for trying to take care of your health and beat this before it escalates! Which sweetener(s) are you using?

I checked out the cheesecake recipe you linked to. A lot of us are having success with the following cheesecake recipe, and it happens to be my favorite. I make these every weekend to have all week long:
2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Soften cream cheese. I just allow mine to come to room temp. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. ( I beat this together long enough to dissolve the granular Erythritol - otherwise it will be gritty). Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min. or less. It takes mine about 14 minutes in my toaster oven. Watch them. If they start to get brown, get them out of the oven quickly. It shouldn't get brown at all. I take mine out right after they puff up.

I do mine in silicone muffin baking cups and without a crust, and I use a combination of two heaping tablespoons of Erythritol, 3 packets of a Stevia/erythritol blend from Aldi's, and a "glop" of sugar-free vanilla syrup. I add the syrup last, and do it "to taste." Like others have mentioned, combining LC sweeteners creates a more authentic sweetening effect. Combined sweeteners seem to be synergistic and create a better effect than any single one used along. I can't use Xylitol in my combination because it sends me running to the bathroom, but everyone is different.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,375
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Even my Dad who has diabetes his doctor told him never to eat anything white. No potatoes, rice, flour, bread, etc.

No one says you have to eat low carb. But choose what works for you. I am just sharing what happens to your body based on the glycemic index.

Hugs
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Oh, OK. Good for you for trying to take care of your health and beat this before it escalates! Which sweetener(s) are you using?

I checked out the cheesecake recipe you linked to. A lot of us are having success with the following cheesecake recipe, and it happens to be my favorite. I make these every weekend to have all week long:
2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Soften cream cheese. I just allow mine to come to room temp. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. ( I beat this together long enough to dissolve the granular Erythritol - otherwise it will be gritty). Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min. or less. It takes mine about 14 minutes in my toaster oven. Watch them. If they start to get brown, get them out of the oven quickly. It shouldn't get brown at all. I take mine out right after they puff up.

I do mine in silicone muffin baking cups and without a crust, and I use a combination of two heaping tablespoons of Erythritol, 3 packets of a Stevia/erythritol blend from Aldi's, and a "glop" of sugar-free vanilla syrup. I add the syrup last, and do it "to taste." Like others have mentioned, combining LC sweeteners creates a more authentic sweetening effect. Combined sweeteners seem to be synergistic and create a better effect than any single one used along. I can't use Xylitol in my combination because it sends me running to the bathroom, but everyone is different.
wow i like that recepie. RIght now i only have stevia, but i guess i need to purchase different kinds
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,564
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
I am seriously feeling frustrated, so so so many things i can't eat.
Is there a reason you choose to be a pescatarian? If you didn't limit yourself to fish as your only meat there are many other options. And I agree with SkeeterN on the fruits. Oranges are not low carb and they won't help you avoid diabetes.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.