Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Jamie

So proud of you, we all are

Lot's of love poured out for you
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
rachinator, As an alternative to veggies seasoned with butter and salt, I like to make mushroom sauce with mushrooms, chicken broth, a little nutmeg and heavy cream to thicken it some. (Milk is high in carbs, so I use heavy cream instead.) I use less chicken broth and cook it down kind of thick to pour over veggies. It is also good spread over fish and baked. I use more chicken broth when I want to make a soup, and add whatever cooked veggies I want.

Here's a tip... when you experiment, as in making mushroom sauce, be sure to measure everything and write it down as you go along. That way, if you come up with something great, you will be able to duplicate it from then on.

Don't know if you are interested, but here is a link for desserts that don't call for any flour.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-desserts.html

Last edited by Widget; 09-27-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Or, she could use vegetable broth also.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Or, she could use vegetable broth also.
Woops, I forgot about the no chicken thing. Should be good with vegetable broth, too. Thanks, watcher.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Suggestion - last night I had poached salmon with a creamy avocado dip - it was YUMMY! As a pescatarian, this would be ideal for you, if you like avocados. (All sorts of dip recipes around - I just bash my avocado flesh up with some cream and cream cheese, and sprinkle in some grated parmesan for flavour.) The flavours go great with the fish, and it makes a delish filling dinner.
Jaycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I have just read through this thread for the first time. I can understand the choices that people make because they don't like the way our food industry treats the animals that are mass produced for the grocery store chains.

We feel the same way and that is the major reason why we raise some of our own food and the rest of it we buy from local farmers who sell humanly raised pastured animals. But it concerned me when you said that you only eat fish. You should read this article by the Harvard School of Public Health. While fish is a healthy and important part of our diet, eating too much of the wrong kind can be very bad for you. The heavy metals that collect in fish from the contamination in our environment can cause health problems for you and birth defects in unborn children.

Please read this article. There are other responsible choices that can be made, you just need to do a little research and look around in your area for responsible farmers who can supply your needs.

Harvard School of Public Health » The Nutrition Source » Fish: Friend or Foe?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
I know that others have already stated similar, but...

My mother's an insulin dependent diabetic. On occasion she has taken her insulin, intending to eat, then got sidetracked with something on television and not eaten... We've found her too many times nearly unconscious and have had to pour orange juice in her to get her blood sugar to jump up quickly. Oranges will increase your blood sugar. Period.

Now, does that mean you can't eat oranges anymore? I don't think so. I think it means you can eat a couple segments of an orange or maybe a squeeze of a couple segments into a glass of bubbly water, etc. Limited, small amounts. My mother's blood sugar is not affected much when she adds a few bits of orange to something like beef & broccoli stir-fry, for example. Try using oranges more as you would a seasoning or flavoring.

Keep looking around. You'll find TONS of wonderful food ideas here and on many other low-carb blogs. Congratulations on how far you've come and best wishes on continued success!
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote