Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Even my Dad who has diabetes his doctor told him never to eat anything white. No potatoes, rice, flour, bread, etc.

No one says you have to eat low carb. But choose what works for you. I am just sharing what happens to your body based on the glycemic index.

Hugs
my doctor says i have to eat low carb and i want to because i don't want diabetes
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Is there a reason you choose to be a pescatarian? If you didn't limit yourself to fish as your only meat there are many other options. And I agree with SkeeterN on the fruits. Oranges are not low carb and they won't help you avoid diabetes.
my doctor told me to follow the glycemic load diet and it says you can have apples and oranges.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,734
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
my doctor told me to follow the glycemic load diet and it says you can have apples and oranges.
Ok, that's fine if you want to try the glycemic load diet, but I personally do not think it is the best diet to avoid diabetes. You might check out Dr. Richard Bernstein's work.

Is there a particular reason you are a pescatarian?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Ok, that's fine if you want to try the glycemic load diet, but I personally do not think it is the best diet to avoid diabetes. You might check out Dr. Richard Bernstein's work.

Is there a particular reason you are a pescatarian?
Personal choice i made about 10 years ago.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,734
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Personal choice i made about 10 years ago.
Could you make a different personal choice now?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Could you make a different personal choice now?
I could but i am not going to just because you(i don't even know u) thinks i should. I just came here looking for support and new recopies and now i feel like i am doing nothing wrong and that my doctor is wrong which i don't believe, i am going to stop posting now. I don't feel welcome here anymore.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,734
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
I could but i am not going to just because you(i don't even know u) thinks i should. I just came here looking for support and new recopies and now i feel like i am doing nothing wrong and that my doctor is wrong which i don't believe, i am going to stop posting now. I don't feel welcome here anymore.
Sorry you feel that way. It was just a question to see if you would be open to other protein sources. If not, you are right, you are much more limited than most of us. In addition, unfortunately doctors know very little about nutrition and most of us here have learned not to blindly trust their nutrition advice. Sorry you don't feel welcome but many people here have been in your shoes health-wise and have found low carb is the best way to prevent diabetes. I am insulin-resistant and my fasting insulin was cut in half after going low carb, so I know it works.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
I could but i am not going to just because you(i don't even know u) thinks i should. I just came here looking for support and new recopies and now i feel like i am doing nothing wrong and that my doctor is wrong which i don't believe, i am going to stop posting now. I don't feel welcome here anymore.
I am sorry you feel this way. Your very welcome. But if you want to do low carb then please get a book and read about what is and what isn't low carb.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 340
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I hope we can be open and gentle when people are new to this. The last thing we want to do is scare people away.

Please wait, Rachinator - I believe what Skeeter is trying to convey is that generally, high sugar fruits are not considered to have a low impact on blood sugar. Your plan may be more generous, and that's OK for now. It's up to each of us to find what works and what doesn't. Do you test your blood sugar at this time?
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I hope we can be open and gentle when people are new to this. The last thing we want to do is scare people away.

Please wait, Rachinator - I believe what Skeeter is trying to convey is that generally, high sugar fruits are not considered to have a low impact on blood sugar. Your plan may be more generous, and that's OK for now. It's up to each of us to find what works and what doesn't. Do you test your blood sugar at this time?
No i don't test it. My doctor said i am pre diabetic, my insulin levels were higher than they should be but i am not a diabetic. She gave me pills and sent me home with a piece of paper saying i need to eat low carb and follow the glycemic load diet by rob thompson. The medication is Metformin. Eating low carb (following the book by Rob Thompson) exercise and the medicine i have lost almost 20 pounds and I felt like i was on the right track. I am now even more confused than ever and don't know what to do because my next appointment isn't for another month and a half.
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 340
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
No i don't test it. My doctor said i am pre diabetic, my insulin levels were higher than they should be but i am not a diabetic. She gave me pills and sent me home with a piece of paper saying i need to eat low carb and follow the glycemic load diet by rob thompson. The medication is Metformin. Eating low carb (following the book by Rob Thompson) exercise and the medicine i have lost almost 20 pounds and I felt like i was on the right track. I am now even more confused than ever and don't know what to do because my next appointment isn't for another month and a half.
OK, thank you for letting us know.

I think you should do what is working for you, Rachinator. I would follow your Dr.'s orders for now, unless you come to a point where you don't feel it is working for you.

But if you do find yourself in a position where you aren't sure it is working for you, or you just want to confirm that this sounds right for you, don't be afraid to delve into some reading on the various low glycemic or low carb information/diets out there. It's just my thing, but I always feel like the more I know, the more empowered I am to be in control of my health.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I am certainly sorry if I hurt your feelings and made you feel unwelcome. Never was my intention.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I second what Cleochatra says. Don't look for recipes per se, but look at what you like to eat and go from there.

I eat all sorts of meat, but I do like fish, and I know that there are Lots of variety of fish texture, quality, ways to cook it, ways to eat it raw ( sashimi!), and vegetables and fruits are only limited by your own limitations. Now, What veggies do you like? Do you like Soup? Do you cook in oil? Do you eat nuts? What about dairy, you mentioned Yogurt... I converted a recipe for a cheesecake like dessert that calls for cream cheese, drained yogurt, a blend of sweeteners, and fresh fruit, with an crumbled nut crust on the bottom. I like it better than the original.

Look more at what you CAN eat and what you WANT to eat, to guide you to looking at "recipes". all a recipe is is a dish that someone put together and they wrote down what they did. A recipe for baked fish could just be: fish, butter, dry seasoning, bake. it's one of my favorite's to make baked fish with smokey dried red bell pepper flakes, paprika and curry powder.

Make an orange Julius, that's oranges and yogurt, already on the menu. Just know that baked goods are the hardest to low carb and get the same texture/taste. One thing you will have to do is adjust your expectations of what the finished product should taste like. It WON'T taste exactly like the high carb version, but it can still be good tasting.
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I second what Cleochatra says. Don't look for recipes per se, but look at what you like to eat and go from there.

I eat all sorts of meat, but I do like fish, and I know that there are Lots of variety of fish texture, quality, ways to cook it, ways to eat it raw ( sashimi!), and vegetables and fruits are only limited by your own limitations. Now, What veggies do you like? Do you like Soup? Do you cook in oil? Do you eat nuts? What about dairy, you mentioned Yogurt... I converted a recipe for a cheesecake like dessert that calls for cream cheese, drained yogurt, a blend of sweeteners, and fresh fruit, with an crumbled nut crust on the bottom. I like it better than the original.

Look more at what you CAN eat and what you WANT to eat, to guide you to looking at "recipes". all a recipe is is a dish that someone put together and they wrote down what they did. A recipe for baked fish could just be: fish, butter, dry seasoning, bake. it's one of my favorite's to make baked fish with smokey dried red bell pepper flakes, paprika and curry powder.

Make an orange Julius, that's oranges and yogurt, already on the menu. Just know that baked goods are the hardest to low carb and get the same texture/taste. One thing you will have to do is adjust your expectations of what the finished product should taste like. It WON'T taste exactly like the high carb version, but it can still be good tasting.
I like carrots, zucchini squash celery eggplant broccoli cauliflower mushrooms tomatoes lettuce....LOL a lot. People in this thread have been telling me oranges are bad....
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
I like carrots, zucchini squash celery eggplant broccoli cauliflower mushrooms tomatoes lettuce....LOL a lot. People in this thread have been telling me oranges are bad....
Oranges aren't bad perse, but they are not considered low carb and therefore are used sparingly by most folks who claim low carb diet. However, in the maintenance phase of Atkins, and many other low carb diets, oranges are an acceptable fruit in moderation.

The other thing is that some fruits, more than others, have a quicker effect on blood sugar, oranges are one of the quicker ones. Bananas, mango, nectarines, any syrupy fruit will make the blood sugar rise more quickly than berries, for example. But if you are following the idea of glycemic load, you know that you can add fats to the meal that you eat the oranges and it will slow down the sugar spike. It won't make it lower, it will just make it slower. Oranges are kinda in the middle.

Do you like Bell peppers? I have found that a nice fresh crisp bell pepper can be as yummy and satisfying as an apple some days.

And What about the other sweet fruits and berries, like blue berries, raspberries, black berries, cherries, pear, grapefruit,figs lets say. Mmm, figs!

It seems like dairy is on the menu, and you like eggplant, ever thought of making eggplant parmesan sans meat? It's like the regular recipe except you dredge the eggplant in parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs, and you bake it, then top it with a nice savory tomato sauce and fresh parmesan flakes. Just a suggestion.

Cauliflower can be boiled, baked, broiled with spices, it can also be mashed with cream cheese and cheddar, chopped and stirfried like rice or sauced like risotto.

Mushrooms go with everything! Soups, stirfries, salads, Find an asian food store and try some of the different kinds.

Don't forget the value of stir fry for zukes and squash. Look into some different seasonings to shake things up.

Now , if you do eat nuts, you might try to make a simple almond flour cookie recipe. But warning, almond flour cookies can sometimes be dry, and most cookie recipes call for egg, which I'm not sure is on the menu, is it?
Quote:
Easiest Almond Cookies

Makes: 12 cookies

ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 egg
1 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
sweetener to taste, stevia, splenda, etc, I dunno start with 1/2 cup?
1/4 tsp almond extract (alcohol free) or vanilla
Directions:
Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Add Egg, Oil and extract
Roll batter into small balls and set out on parchment paper.
Flatten the cookie with your hand or a fork.
Bake at 325° F for 10-12 minutes or until firm.
Sorry, everyone has different tastes, If you don't mind tasting the dough with raw egg, you could mix it with 1/2 cup and add more if you think it should be sweeter, I tend to use less than some others, I'm weird.

Anyhow, use your fruits to make desserts, Lots of stuff can be done with dairy:yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, savory cheeses like gouda, and havarti. Use what you like and try variations, make baked dishes, soups, stir fries, party raw platters with different dips.

You have so many more choices than you think once you look at all that you can let yourself enjoy.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Oranges aren't bad perse, but they are not considered low carb and therefore are used sparingly by most folks who claim low carb diet. However, in the maintenance phase of Atkins, and many other low carb diets, oranges are an acceptable fruit in moderation.

The other thing is that some fruits, more than others, have a quicker effect on blood sugar, oranges are one of the quicker ones. Bananas, mango, nectarines, any syrupy fruit will make the blood sugar rise more quickly than berries, for example. But if you are following the idea of glycemic load, you know that you can add fats to the meal that you eat the oranges and it will slow down the sugar spike. It won't make it lower, it will just make it slower. Oranges are kinda in the middle.

Do you like Bell peppers? I have found that a nice fresh crisp bell pepper can be as yummy and satisfying as an apple some days.

And What about the other sweet fruits and berries, like blue berries, raspberries, black berries, cherries, pear, grapefruit,figs lets say. Mmm, figs!

It seems like dairy is on the menu, and you like eggplant, ever thought of making eggplant parmesan sans meat? It's like the regular recipe except you dredge the eggplant in parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs, and you bake it, then top it with a nice savory tomato sauce and fresh parmesan flakes. Just a suggestion.

Cauliflower can be boiled, baked, broiled with spices, it can also be mashed with cream cheese and cheddar, chopped and stirfried like rice or sauced like risotto.

Mushrooms go with everything! Soups, stirfries, salads, Find an asian food store and try some of the different kinds.

Don't forget the value of stir fry for zukes and squash. Look into some different seasonings to shake things up.

Now , if you do eat nuts, you might try to make a simple almond flour cookie recipe. But warning, almond flour cookies can sometimes be dry, and most cookie recipes call for egg, which I'm not sure is on the menu, is it?

Sorry, everyone has different tastes, If you don't mind tasting the dough with raw egg, you could mix it with 1/2 cup and add more if you think it should be sweeter, I tend to use less than some others, I'm weird.

Anyhow, use your fruits to make desserts, Lots of stuff can be done with dairy:yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, savory cheeses like gouda, and havarti. Use what you like and try variations, make baked dishes, soups, stir fries, party raw platters with different dips.

You have so many more choices than you think once you look at all that you can let yourself enjoy.
WoW! thanks for all the tips! ya eggs are on the menu, getting sick of them every morning though. And yes i love eggplant parm Thanks so much!
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 45
Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I was surprised when my DIL lived with me, that she ate the same things for breakfast as the rest of the meals in a day. She is Korean and that helped me see that we tend to think there are only certain things we can eat for breakfast. Eggs, cereal etc. Try eating the things you eat for the other meals for breakfast. I make a tuna patty with tuna, egg, chopped celery , sliced green onion, chopped fresh basil, and a tablespoon of almond flour. Bake it or fry it in coconut oil till it is browned and crispy. Serve it with a lovely garlic aioli or any mayo based sauce, like tartar sauce. A great breakfast!
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #48
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
WoW! thanks for all the tips! ya eggs are on the menu, getting sick of them every morning though. And yes i love eggplant parm Thanks so much!
You are surely welcome. I hardly ever eat eggs for breakfast anymore. In fact I'd prefer to have eggs for lunch or dinner. I dunno, I never really cared for breakfast food at breakfast. Some other things to do with eggs though:

Make Oopsie rolls. Most folks use them for buns, but I like to make cream cheese and fruit danishes with them. Lots of fat from the cheese, and protein from the egg and sweetness from the fruit or jam

Stuffed eggs

pickled eggs are fun in the afternoon for a snack, and they are pink/purple if you use beet juice!

I sometimes make a egg filled cheese burrito: I sprinkle a layer of cheddar into a flat skillet and heat it till it melts completely and begins to fry, then I crack an egg, separate it and whip the white and pour that on top of the frying cheddar, after it turns white, I put other ingredients into the center ( mushroom, pepper, sometimes just a thin strip of cream cheese) then I carefully place the yolk back into the center and use my spatula to curve up the edges of the fried cheese/eggwhite shell over the center. It's a crunchy cheese shell burrito with a golden ( messy) surprise in the center.

i eat pretty much anything but breakfast food for breakfast.... Eat what you like, Kimchi and Tilapia, tomato soup, sardines with mustard, butter fried zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and plum tomatoes. It's up to you.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,393
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Great tips metqa!

First welcome to the forum!

I'm going to tell you what I have learned on my low carb journey. I have some info on type 2 diabetes. There's no such thing as pre diabetic, your blood sugar numbers are normal or they're not. Normal blood sugar runs between 70-100, and anything over 135-140 can cause damage to your body.

I've had type 2 diabetes for close to 15 yrs and control it by diet and by taking metformin and glyburide. My A1C is at 5 which is a normal level for anyone. Most doctors unless they're really up to date on the new information don't expect their type 2 patients to be at a normal level. Their acceptable numbers are too high.

Now as far as recipes and eating to control your diabetes, I can tell you without a doubt that most fruits except tart apples and berries have way too much sugar for a diabetic. Trust me when I say this, tart apples and berries should be the only fruit you are eating. I say should be but that's not for me to tell you what to eat.

You are learning to cook and bake all over again, it takes time and patience, just like when you first learned to cook from scratch. When I first started eating to control my blood sugars I made some really yucky sweets and desserts, and meals. I had to learn how low carb flour substitutes like almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein, oat fiber etc., worked in recipes and figure out what to replace my pasta and rice addiction with. Cauliflower rice is awesome and zucchini noodles make a great pasta sub for me.

The only way you're going to find great recipes is through trial and error. What one person raves about another hates, but there are loads of recipes out there at this point in time that are amazing!

The best advice I can give you is to tell you to pick a recipe, make sure it has ingredients that you like and if you have any questions about any recipe, this is a great place to ask. So many people here are so helpful.

I recently made an eggplant Parmesan nobody could tell it was low carb. I use zucchini noodles in place of pasta and I eat lots of salads, not because I have to but because I want to! I have two or 3 bread recipes from this forum that I use for sandwiches, pizza, garlic bread, rolls, And it makes great toast or French toast.
If you like cabbage, broccoli, carrots and peppers you can make a delicious stir fry. I make fish chowder and use daikon radish in place of the potatoes, same with butternut squash soup. There's so many delicious low carb dishes that will keep your blood sugars at an acceptable level.

I recently made chocolate peanut butter fudge brownies that everyone went crazy over. Almond flour doughnuts and a butter cake. You do need to find the sweetener blend that works for you! I use erythritol or xylitol with Splenda or stevia extract. It's the best combination I've found. Swerve is a sweetener that has erythritol and is made for baking.

Once you learn to cook and bake low carb you will never worry about how to stay on your eating plan.

Nobody here would intentionally offend you, I think when you're first learning and ask questions you get a lot of personal advice that you may not understand or agree with. Take what you want and forget the rest.

Good luck on your journey, try not to overwhelm yourself and remember all of us here have had to learn what works for them. It's not a one size fits all because everyone is different.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,060
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hello and Welcome

you are a newbie We love

Skeeter is someone you will love. Everyone here is helpful and supportive.
I say, stick around. You will be happy that you did

Last edited by Barbo; 09-24-2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: er
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #51
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
[...] It's not a one size fits all because everyone is different.
Plus all the stuff above that last bit!

GINAAAAAA!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,393
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thank you Metqa!

I love this forum, I tell everyone I know about it because it's been such a huge help for me. Even though I don't personally know anyone here I feel like I know a lot of you just from sharing information and I couldn't thank everyone enough for all the great recipes, tips and support.

I look back at when I first started out low carbing and the frustration of learning to create good food and I can't believe how much my eating habits have changed(for the better)and the best part..I never feel deprived!

Ok, I'm all done with the mushy stuff lol

I guess the biggest and best thing is, I never feel alone on this low carb journey.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,223
Gallery: watcher513
Every body reacts different to different foods. Perfect example is oranges. My best friend used to drink orange juice often. Loves oranges. She became diabetic around 7 years ago, 2 months before my hubby was dx'd Type 2 Diabetic. Anyway, she and I were in the grocery store one day way back when and they were giving out samples of OJ. So we took some, it was like 2 ounces or so, not much, one of those little sample cups. A little later she started feeling really weird. She took her blood glucose and it was way up, in the 300-400's - that quick. That was the day she found out she can't eat oranges or drink OJ, which believe me, really bummed her out. Lemons have no affect on her at all. The good thing is, she can use the DaVinci Orange.

This is also the person with diabetes that's in such good control foodwise 7 years after being diagnosed, at the age of 54 now, that her last A1c a month ago was 4.2, down from 4.7 the year before. 4.2!! She amazes me.

Not everyone reacts like that, but many more do. The only way to find out is to test with a blood glucose monitor.
__________________
Terry

Last edited by watcher513; 09-25-2013 at 05:08 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member
 
miboje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 340
Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I just wanted to add a couple suggestions for recipe sources. Since you only do fish, how about low carb vegetarian recipes?
How about cauliflower fried rice with shrimp? OMG...my whole family loves this!! Yum! Last night, we had Tuna Casserole. LindaSue's website, Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes, offers up great recipes, and most have pics. It's worth your time to sort through her categories and recipes to find what works for you. Sometimes a recipe that includes meat can be just as good without the meat. When I was vegetarian, I could sometimes replace red meat with mushrooms in a recipe.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!
 
millergirl1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,842
Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
You all are amazing. Patient, and kind, and wise.

That's all.

millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,114
Gallery: Dottie
The deal is, if you make a meal of nothing but fruit, your blood sugar is going to spike then drop off really fast making you feel like crap. Sleepy, cranky crap, but still crap

A lot of the glycemic load/index plans tell you to eat a ratio of fats, protein and carbs together to help "blunt" the effect the carbs have on your blood sugar.

Do you eat eggs, at all? They're a good protein/fat choice and are really versatile Quiches (eggs, veggies, cheese, no crust) are a real low-carb lifesaver.
Stir fries (shrimp, fish, crab can work well -real crab, not the imitation stuff that's packed with sugar).
You can "rice" cauliflower and make soups, stir fries, casseroles, curries (also really good with fish, veggies, coconut milk, curry spices).
There are a lot of great variations that will help you get through the food boredom AND keep your blood sugar stable.
__________________
https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx <--FDA tracking tools
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ <--FDA nutritional counts

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,114
Gallery: Dottie
BTW I usually love doctors, but they are not schooled in nutrition.
Example, my aunt is a diabetic. Her doctor always told her she can eat whatever she wants(as long as it was low fat!) and just adjust her insulin.
Forward 8 years of her doing that and she's in a permanent nursing home on every other day dialysis and is missing most of one of her feet through amputation and her site is almost gone.
So please DO listen to your doctor, but also be proactive and research for yourself because they are not diet specialists
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I made crustless chocolate chip cheescake today...i don't like the crust unless its chocolate or nut crust anyway...
2 8oz pkg cream cheese softened
12 ounces sour cream
2 ounces melted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup powdered erythritol (truvia is brand name in store) I powder it in drink blender or coffee grinder.
1/2 cup equivalent liquid splenda or davinci syrup...the sugar free coffee syrups work great for this

mix all this together until no lumps...I don't even do it in order and it always works.
pour into pan and bake at 325 for 30 minutes...it won't look done but it is. just let it cool in oven with door cracked open.

To make sure you get the best cheesecake you should bake it in a water bath...sounds hard but is sooo easy....fill a bigger baking pan about 1/4 full of water and place whatever you are baking your cheese cake in inside the bigger pan...put in oven and bake.

This will stop the cheesecake from cracking and it will be so creamy...yum...you should do this for every cheesecake recipe in my opinion.

I add sugar free choclate chips to the top of mine before baking.

good luck.


The people here are very helpful. It sounds as if you have had great success so far...I know your doc recommended a book ...maybe you should ask him if some of the books mentioned here could be of help also.
A lot of times a doctor reccommends something they think is doable just to get people started...but it could never hurt to learn more.

Best wishes to you on your struggle to prevent diabetes.
__________________
Control breeds Confidence.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #59
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,114
Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
I could but i am not going to just because you(i don't even know u) thinks i should. I just came here looking for support and new recopies and now i feel like i am doing nothing wrong and that my doctor is wrong which i don't believe, i am going to stop posting now. I don't feel welcome here anymore.
Please don't feel that way
"we" learn by asking you questions, it helps the helpers figure out what you might like.
Honestly, and you can laugh at this comparison, but saying you're doing low-carb and eating fruit alone as a meal would probably be about the same as going to a vegetarian site and saying you eat beef
Most of "us" who say that's a bad idea have had some personal experience with that type of reaction, and trying to help you learn from "our" mistakes.
Sometimes it doesn't come across as helpful on the screen as it is in our heads
So please don't take it personally
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #60
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Please don't feel that way
"we" learn by asking you questions, it helps the helpers figure out what you might like.
Honestly, and you can laugh at this comparison, but saying you're doing low-carb and eating fruit alone as a meal would probably be about the same as going to a vegetarian site and saying you eat beef
Most of "us" who say that's a bad idea have had some personal experience with that type of reaction, and trying to help you learn from "our" mistakes.
Sometimes it doesn't come across as helpful on the screen as it is in our heads
So please don't take it personally
What delicious Dottie speaks is truth.

A lot of us have full-time jobs, are attending college or have families (or all three, like me), so what might be mistaken as shortness or an 'attitude' is really just an attempt to be brief for the sake of time management.

Ignore any pejorative micro messages you think you're seeing and focus on the content/message. The tone really can be easily misconstrued in an online format.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.