Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Thirty days in (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812758-thirty-days.html)

susan41 09-22-2013 03:46 PM

Thirty days in

And I really have been craving fried anything, chicken, pork chops, round steak etc.

So I bought some almond flour and I just fried pork chops in butter coated in almond flour salt pepper and a little garlic powder.

Delish for the most part, but a few questions if anyone else has experience with almond flour.

It stuck to the skillet, maybe it's the butter and I should have used oil?

It was a little mealy... Would have been in fried food heaven if it had coated and stuck better, any tips.

princessmommy 09-22-2013 04:08 PM

I've never fried with Almond flour. I usually use crushed pork rines. Works Great!

snowangel9 09-22-2013 05:12 PM

Hey, Susan... Have you tried Parmesan cheese? I use the powdered kind. I mix that with almond flour to fry with. Did you use an egg wash too? I think that sticking is just part of the game. These coatings need more fat to not stick, IMHO..

I did make some fried eggplant last month (yummy!) & I just kept adding oil as it needed. Hope it works for you. I love fried foods but I'm mostly too lazy to do it! :D

Michelle765 09-22-2013 05:24 PM

Egg wash perhaps? Good enough for Chopped...

I watch Chopped and that's what they do even if they crust in pork rinds.

susan41 09-22-2013 06:08 PM

I'm def gonna try an egg wash next round of fried something I do, also I think I totally could have used the butter/what stuck to the pan to make "gravy" using some watered down hwc. Any experience with that y'all?

Mistizoom 09-22-2013 06:23 PM

I do pan fry with almond flour sometimes. I do use beaten egg thinned with a little water or sometimes HWC (keeps it thicker), then coat with almond flour and fry in a generous amout of olive oil. It works well usually, though sometimes doing it this way the coating flakes off (never sticks to the pan though), so you have to turn the items only once and turn them very carefully.

Charski 09-22-2013 07:54 PM

Half almond flour and half Parm cheese, or half finely-ground pork rinds and half Parm cheese, or 1/3 of each - I've had great luck with these.

The tricks that I have learned: use some beaten eggwhite, not the whole egg; press the meat very firmly into the "flour" mixture, then put it on a rack over a plate and chill for a good 20 minutes, up to an hour; get the pan hot, add your fat (I don't use all butter, it burns to easily - try half butter and half oil, or bacon fat) and wait til it is just under the smoking point (the oil will shimmer in the pan) and then put in your meat, not crowding it, which causes steaming and loosening of the crust; do NOT move the meat for at a least a couple minutes, so the crust can build and really adhere to the meat.

Those things should bring you success! :)

Romy 09-23-2013 06:08 AM

Try to coat it ahead of time and let it stay in the fridge for a while, the coating will stick better than when you do it fresh and fry. Also for coated food I fry in a deep fryer so the food does not touch the pan. If I don't feel like using my big deep fryer, I put enough oil in a pot and use a small mesh strainer as the basket. Then I save the oil for another time. They re-use the oil in restaurants, so why not re use it at home.

millergirl1976 09-23-2013 03:39 PM

Dont be afraid- try the pork rinds. I know it sounds kind of gross and scary, but they are delicious. I just made oven-fried chicken last week that was absolutely delightful.

rosethorns 09-23-2013 07:22 PM

I second the pork rinds.

jmc305 09-24-2013 07:37 PM

I like garbanzo bean/chickpea flour. Yeah, I know, not technically low carb but it's wheat and gluten free and used in such small amounts, I don't think it hurts anything. It fries up beautifully.

I have never had much luck with pork rinds or parmesan. Seems too soggy to me, and like it soaks up all the grease. Where is the crunch?

millergirl1976 09-25-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16617937)
I have never had much luck with pork rinds or parmesan. Seems too soggy to me, and like it soaks up all the grease. Where is the crunch?

I havent tried frying in oil with the parm/pork rind coating. I have onyl used it for oven frying.

lighterbeing 10-19-2013 02:27 PM

I roll mine in mayo then coat with parmesan or pork rinds and parm then bake until crispy. Just as good as fried to me, less work.