Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ldyj
What is BTF mix??

I have truly searched and searched and can't anything about this except the name BTF. I know the info is there, I just can't find it!
Thanks for the help. . .
J
ldyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Originally called Fantastic Flour Mix
See the thread attached.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Definitely use the Big Batch sticky thread at the top of the LC Recipe Help and Suggestions page. It's shorter and more consolidated than the original Fantastic Flour Mix thread.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's still crazy complicated. seems everyone has a different mix, but with the same name? I even bought the stuff to make it and never have because it's just exhausting trying to figure out which to use!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's still crazy complicated. seems everyone has a different mix, but with the same name? I even bought the stuff to make it and never have because it's just exhausting trying to figure out which to use!
Honestly, it is not complicated. Think of this basic mix as a low carb version of Bisquick, with which you can create various things from one mix by adding or tweaking this or that.

The basic mix is the first post here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html. Now, you can increase all the ingredients to make more mix to keep on hand, so you don't have to make a batch every time you need this mix, but that's totally up to you.

People are doing a lot of different things with this mix, and they are sometimes tweaking the basic recipe to make it fit certain applications better, such as turning it into pie crust or making pancakes with it. And many people who have tweaked it or done certain things with it have been kind enough to share how they did it. That's pretty much what the remainder of that thread is - the recipes to do various things with the same mix. I hope that helps clarify things.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Fantastic Flour Mix/BTF Mix (better than flour) - original recipe

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
--------------------

It's not really that difficult. Some people don't like coconut flour as much as others so for the coconut flour they use half the amount and add in almond flour for the other half. For the vanilla protein powder - some wanted to make a savory version so they just use Unflavored protein powder. Then, if they want vanilla flavoring, just add in vanilla. Some people use pea protein powder for the vanilla protein powder.

I think those are really the only 2 things that are changed up for the 'original basic recipe', the coconut flour (or combination) and whatever protein powder of choice. Although, some use their sweetener of choice, or even leave that out and add in later, depending on what they're making.

It's a very versatile recipe.

Reading the big batch board, the various posts with "notes" are very important - that's where all the other people's ideas came from. It's just a consolidated version of the original humongous thread. Much easier to navigate than the original thread.

Last edited by watcher513; 09-21-2013 at 12:09 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ldyj
Thanks for the info, everyone!! I really appreciate it. . .
ldyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Quote:
I bought the stuff, made a large batch, but the stuff reeks so strongly of coconut from the coconut flour I don't bother using it. :/ One of these days I'll have to research brands and see if people are using a specific brand to avoid the problem.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
RR try the first recipe from Ouiziod. It is awesome and you can make a lot of foods from this flour. You will be amazed. It will be the first cake that you will love since you started low carb, then if you want to venture into the others recipes you can.

I'll allergic but I liked it so much. I will always give it praises. Jen's GF mix also. Great stuff. Its another one that you can make a lot of foods from.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Perdita, I use Honeyville coconut flour. Although it has a coconut smell, it does not bake up with any coconut flavor in the BTF mix or Maria's sub rolls. This is really important, because DH dislikes coconut. He can not pick up the coconut flavor in anything I've made.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote