Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
fat head pizza crust

I keep reading and reading about this. Has anyone tried it? I make at least once a week Jennifer Eloff pizza crust in the first Low carbing among friends cookbook. Wonder if it would be all that different?

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until smooth.
3. Mix the cheese with the almond flour and egg. I also add a few dashes of parsley, fennel and oregano.
4. Flatten out the dough on the parchment paper/cookie sheet. I like to put my hand in a sandwich bag so that nothing sticks.
5. Liberally sprinkle the crust with garlic salt. Poke the dough a bit with a fork to prevent bubbles*.
6. Bake for 8 minutes, and poke any bubbles.
7. Bake for another 4-6 minutes until it is slightly brown on top.
8. Add any ingredients for your topping and then pop back into the oven to melt the cheese on top
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Nope! But it sounds good! Wouldn't that be induction friendly too? Thanks for posting though. I'll have to give it a try! I do love pizza! Have a question if you don't mind. In her new books does Jennifer use more almond flour & less 'mixes' of flour?

Last edited by snowangel9; 09-18-2013 at 06:11 PM..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I made it and it is great! It was a hit with the entire family (not LC). I have seen people use it for Sausage Rolls or individual "Hot Pockets" too You could pick it up and eat it with your hands....no fork required.
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Nope! But it sounds good! Wouldn't that be induction friendly too? Thanks for posting though. I'll have to give it a try! I do love pizza! Have a question if you don't mind. In her new books does Jennifer use more almond flour & less 'mixes' of flour?
Almond flour is not an induction-allowed food.

BUT NancyElle's Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust, the recipe for which is in the Stickies at the top of this forum, is just eggs, cheese, and seasonings. We love it and it is definitely induction-friendly.

Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust! Easiest EVER! Pics included!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
what size crust does this make? O:
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
A medium sized crust. This is very good, but you don't want to get the crust too thin.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #7

I made this but still like Jennifer Eloff's pizza crust (first Lowcarbing Among Friends book) best of all low carb crusts I have ever made
Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

sadly I was always a lover of either the yeasty, chicago-style / pizza hut crusts, or soft, doughy crusts when I was high carb! Never cripsy. I've got a 10" skillet and 6" personal sized so I am trying to figure for the 6" to test some low carb pizza recipes
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
sadly I was always a lover of either the yeasty, chicago-style / pizza hut crusts, or soft, doughy crusts when I was high carb! Never cripsy. I've got a 10" skillet and 6" personal sized so I am trying to figure for the 6" to test some low carb pizza recipes
Do you ever use Jennifer Eloff baking mixes? I think though it may be possible to use only almond flour by itself for crust since that is all that is in the Fat Head crust. Jennifer's recipe doesn't have the cream cheese which leads to a softer crust that the Fathead recipe has. I think you might be able to make half of her recipe or maybe less. But haven't tried it with almond flour alone.
Her recipe of

2/3 Splendid bake mix (either one)
1 egg (her recipe recommends 1 egg white for a crispier crust)
2 cups shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar but you can use mozzarella)

This makes a medium sized pizza with a thin crust baked 10 minutes then add toppings and bake again.

I make this weekly and sometimes add 1/2 tsp baking powder to make it puff up, then make breadsticks out of it by brushing with melted butter with garlic powder then top with lots and lots of cheese.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-16-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Do you ever use Jennifer Eloff baking mixes? I think though it may be possible to use only almond flour by itself for crust since that is all that is in the Fat Head crust. Jennifer's recipe doesn't have the cream cheese which leads to a softer crust that the Fathead recipe has. I think you might be able to make half of her recipe or maybe less. But haven't tried it with almond flour alone.
Her recipe of

2/3 Splendid bake mix (either one)
1 egg (her recipe recommends 1 egg white for a crispier crust)
2 cups shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar but you can use mozzarella)

This makes a medium sized pizza with a thin crust baked 10 minutes then add toppings and bake again.

I make this weekly and sometimes add 1/2 tsp baking powder to make it puff up, then make breadsticks out of it by brushing with melted butter with garlic powder then top with lots and lots of cheese.
Fantastic - I have tons of her splendid GF bake mix with xanthan gum I just mixed up. Just mix everything up by hand?

I'm going to definitely add baking powder, and a 1/2 T of the resistant corn starch I just received from netrition (wondering if the yeast I have would eat this stuff and make it rise even more, but I have no idea how long to knead pizza dough in my stand mixer... never kneaded anything before.)

Assuming this recipe is about enough for a 10" pizza. just leave the batter thicker and cook longer for a puffier pizza?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Fantastic - I have tons of her splendid GF bake mix with xanthan gum I just mixed up. Just mix everything up by hand?

I'm going to definitely add baking powder, and a 1/2 T of the resistant corn starch I just received from netrition (wondering if the yeast I have would eat this stuff and make it rise even more, but I have no idea how long to knead pizza dough in my stand mixer... never kneaded anything before.)

Assuming this recipe is about enough for a 10" pizza. just leave the batter thicker and cook longer for a puffier pizza?
Don't think this is anything like traditional dough in the least. It is pretty much just cheese egg and bake mix. Just mix it by hand and press it in your pizza pan. I always use non-stick reynolds aluminum foil on my pizza pan. I only put the baking powder in it if I want it to rise a bit for bread sticks. Do not think yeast would work at all and it doesn't need the resistant starch. If you want a crust like that look for Kevin PA's recipes using carbquik

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-17-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
I think this makes the best pizza crust. Cheesy Bread (kinda reminds me of Red Lobster Cheese biscuits)

It is not yeasty, but it is soft and doughy. You could try to add some "fed yeast" for flavor.

Sorry to thread jack your thread Anita, but at least it's with your thread.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I think this makes the best pizza crust. Cheesy Bread (kinda reminds me of Red Lobster Cheese biscuits)

It is not yeasty, but it is soft and doughy. You could try to add some "fed yeast" for flavor.

Sorry to thread jack your thread Anita, but at least it's with your thread.
I haven't made that in a long time. But last time I did I used 3/4 cup of Jennifer Eloff bake mix instead of all the many ingredients. It turned out perfect. I do use her original one more than the GF one as it has less carbs especially if I use Wheat Protein Isolate 8000 in place of the VWG

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-18-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

@drjlocarb: Looks great, but I don't have any VWG and don't really plan on getting any, because most of the recipes involving it are more complex, and I figure why go back to wheat right now? If I order premade stuff baked with wheat, OK, but I have stocked all GF ingredients now and it's enough to make my pantry overflow! (except for the leftover carbquik and Dixie Diner's flours).

@skeeter when you used jen eloff's bake mix, what did you omit from the original recipe?
I might just up the whey protein or add egg white protein for the WPI/VWG... they're majority protein, too?

I am going to try this: Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen: CHEESY BREAD PIZZA CRUST since I have open wine and yeast flakes looks similar
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Buttoni's grain free foccacia recipe makes a terrific pizza crust, and it is a great recipe because you can spread it thinner or stack it a little thicker if you want a deep dish. It is my go to bread, and pizza crust now. So delicious!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:
@drjlocarb: Looks great, but I don't have any VWG and don't really plan on getting any, because most of the recipes involving it are more complex, and I figure why go back to wheat right now? If I order premade stuff baked with wheat, OK, but I have stocked all GF ingredients now and it's enough to make my pantry overflow! (except for the leftover carbquik and Dixie Diner's flours).

@skeeter when you used jen eloff's bake mix, what did you omit from the original recipe?
I might just up the whey protein or add egg white protein for the WPI/VWG... they're majority protein, too?

I am going to try this: Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen: CHEESY BREAD PIZZA CRUST since I have open wine and yeast flakes looks similar
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 of a scoop of unsweetened whey protein powder
1 tsp vital wheat gluten (optional)
1/4 tsp xanthum gum (optional)
Everything above was omitted and I used 3/4 cup Jennifer Eloff Splendid bake mix instead which is kinda what these ingredients are anyway. But her Gluten free one would work perfect. If you think 3/4 is too much (I am not good on ratio's), 2/3 might work better when it is 2/3 that you use with her pizza crust.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-18-2014 at 03:16 PM..