Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What sort of high fat/protein shakes can I make with... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812477-what-sort-high-fat-protein-shakes-can-i-make.html)

luvmybabyhead 09-18-2013 07:05 AM

What sort of high fat/protein shakes can I make with...

Hi all!

I'm going to the beach in 3 weeks and am planning my meals now. LOL I am NOT going to cheat on my diet because in just over 40 pounds we're going to start trying for another baby! :love: I'll eat nice fatty LC meals for dinner but want to keep it pretty light for the AMs.

So my question is what sort of protein shake/smoothie can I make in the AMs with real ingredients? I have ideas for ingredients but am not sure how to put them together! They have to be relatively cheap as well because this is a vacay on a total shoestring budget. I've done some searches on this board and others, and most of them rely on protein powder or other specialty flavorings. It isn't in the budget...every time I've bought them it tastes horrible to me so it is wasted.

So any ideas on how to make some of these ingredients into simple high fat/med protein breakfast meals? I stay under 20 grams of carbs a day.

eggs
coconut milk (canned)
coconut oil
HWC
ice
avocado
Frozen/fresh berries
cocoa
liquid splenda
cinnamon/nutmeg/stuff like that

That's not everything I can bring but that's they sort of stuff I'm thinking of. I just want to stick to basic supermarket foods and stay away from protein powders or specialty liquid flavors like DaVinci syrups.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

vanilla_latte 09-18-2013 08:55 AM

The simplest one I make is one I found on another board. It's like an eggnog. It didn't call for the spices, but I add them in.

Eggnog Shake

2-3 eggs, raw
1-2 T HWC
1 tsp. vanilla
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Sweetener to taste
Ice (optional)

If you have some DaVinci or Torani SF Eggnog syrup, throw some in. This can be tweaked anyway you want. Add a little pure pumpkin, berries, etc. I made one and added a teaspoon of natural peanut butter.

Another one I found is this and it's delish, tastes just like a strawberry shake, hence the name. I add a little bit more HWC and one extra egg than the original recipe.

Strawberry Shake

3 eggs, raw
6 T HWC
2-3 large frozen strawberries or 5-6 small ones
3 packets Stevia (or any sweetener you like to taste)

Throw it all in a Magic Bullet or whatever. If you use blueberries, use a few more so it will come out thick like a shake.

Hope these help get you started!

luvmybabyhead 09-18-2013 09:56 AM

Yum! Thank you!

pocahontas 09-18-2013 10:24 AM

This thread is excellent for ideas. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html You can replace with protein powder in any of these recipes with raw eggs and a little cocoa or vanilla if needed. The coconut oil, coconut milk, hwc or avocado on your list will add plenty of healthy fats to keep you full.

millergirl1976 09-18-2013 11:00 AM

What is the flavor of raw eggs? I cannot quite get my mind around that.

vanilla_latte 09-19-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16609688)
What is the flavor of raw eggs? I cannot quite get my mind around that.

Creamy. Honestly, once they're blended up, especially with the other ingredients, they're smooth and creamy.

When I made the strawberry shake one, he looked longingly at it because it looked so darn good and he loves strawberries, but had seen me make it. I persuaded him to try it and he hadn't even gotten it down before his eyes lit up and he was nodding his head in approval. :laugh: He was very surprised that you couldn't taste the eggs.

I'm drinking a pumpkin spice one right now. Here's what I put in it:

1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs, raw
1 T greek yogurt
1 T pure pumpkin (Libby's)
1 tsp. vanilla
Couple splashes Torani SF Pumpkin Pie syrup
Dash of cinnamon and pumpkie pie spice
Ice

Yummers!

millergirl1976 09-19-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanilla_latte (Post 16610980)
Creamy. Honestly, once they're blended up, especially with the other ingredients, they're smooth and creamy.

When I made the strawberry shake one, he looked longingly at it because it looked so darn good and he loves strawberries, but had seen me make it. I persuaded him to try it and he hadn't even gotten it down before his eyes lit up and he was nodding his head in approval. :laugh: He was very surprised that you couldn't taste the eggs.

I'm drinking a pumpkin spice one right now. Here's what I put in it:

1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs, raw
1 T greek yogurt
1 T pure pumpkin (Libby's)
1 tsp. vanilla
Couple splashes Torani SF Pumpkin Pie syrup
Dash of cinnamon and pumpkie pie spice
Ice

Yummers!

Thank you! I am going to try it!

vanilla_latte 09-19-2013 09:02 AM

Cool!! Let me know how you like it. Try that strawberry one, too. It beats any carb-loaded malt or shake I've ever had.

I totally forgot to put where I got the original Strawberry Shake from that I modified. Here it is: Christine's Cozy Corner

rosethorns 09-19-2013 01:07 PM

I use raw eggs in mine too. I make a lot of smoothies w/ no protein powders.

I 'm allergic to most of the pp. Put ice in it and /or frozen fruits.

I put greens in mine some times.

millergirl1976 09-19-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16609627)
This thread is excellent for ideas. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html You can replace with protein powder in any of these recipes with raw eggs and a little cocoa or vanilla if needed. The coconut oil, coconut milk, hwc or avocado on your list will add plenty of healthy fats to keep you full.

I have been reviewing this thread. Thanks for linking it.

Question- can I sub two eggs for the scoop of protein powder in most of these recipes? Will that work?

vanilla_latte 09-20-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16611408)
I have been reviewing this thread. Thanks for linking it.

Question- can I sub two eggs for the scoop of protein powder in most of these recipes? Will that work?

Yes, that'll work. There's no set forumla. That's what so fun about smoothies - make 'em a million ways, a million combos. :up:

You can also add some chia seed or gluc to help thicken them up.

cupasugar 09-21-2013 06:27 AM

Pumpkin Cheesecake Shake

This is my go to shake that I often take to work for lunch. Just mix the ingredients in a container, pour into a blender (we keep one in the break room), add ice and blend. It's so refreshing. I use Jay Robb pp usually.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Shake
SOURCE: mariahealth
Culvers has a Pumpkin Cheesecake Concrete Mixer with a medium size carrying just under 1,000 calories and over 100 g of carbs!
INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk, or plain almond milk with vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin, canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein, or plain whey protein with vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered erythritol
- 1 teaspoon Stevia glycerite
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
METHOD:
1. In blender, place vanilla almond milk, crushed ice, pumpkin, vanilla whey protein, cream cheese, powdered erythritol, stevia glycerite and pumpkin pie spice.
2. Blend until very smooth.
3. Yield - 1 serving
1 concrete mixer
367 calories
30.2 g protein
24.6 g fat
2.8 g fiber
6.7 net carbs
SERVINGS: 1

Brendajm 09-24-2013 03:26 AM

I am so afraid of getting sick eating raw eggs!! I only buy from the supermarket. ??

jandjsmom 09-24-2013 05:49 AM

My very favorite!

CHOCOCADO

1 cup Almond milk
Avocado
3 t. cocoa
sweetner you like (I use 3 packets truvia and a splash of Torani SF Vanilla)
ice

Use magic bullet and it comes out thick like a milkshake!

vanilla_latte 09-24-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16616839)
I am so afraid of getting sick eating raw eggs!! I only buy from the supermarket. ??

That's where we get ours. We've been buying the cage free or free range when we can find them. I've had countless raw eggs and (knock wood) haven't had a problem yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandjsmom (Post 16616944)
My very favorite!

CHOCOCADO

1 cup Almond milk
Avocado
3 t. cocoa
sweetner you like (I use 3 packets truvia and a splash of Torani SF Vanilla)
ice

Use magic bullet and it comes out thick like a milkshake!

I have got to try this sometime. Raw eggs I've got no problem with. Chocolate and avocado, both of which I love, still sounds :sick::laugh:. I've used several of your concoctions before, so I know this one's gotta be good, too!

jandjsmom 09-24-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanilla_latte (Post 16617171)
That's where we get ours. We've been buying the cage free or free range when we can find them. I've had countless raw eggs and (knock wood) haven't had a problem yet.

I have got to try this sometime. Raw eggs I've got no problem with. Chocolate and avocado, both of which I love, still sounds :sick::laugh:. I've used several of your concoctions before, so I know this one's gotta be good, too!

HaHa!!! You don't taste the avocado at all. It just makes it super thick and creamy. Literally like drinking a chocolate milkshake!! I sometimes even just do a vanilla version and leave out the cocoa and it is very refreshing. Something about drinking something a little green just "feels" healthy!:laugh:

vanilla_latte 09-25-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandjsmom (Post 16617431)
HaHa!!! You don't taste the avocado at all. It just makes it super thick and creamy. Literally like drinking a chocolate milkshake!! I sometimes even just do a vanilla version and leave out the cocoa and it is very refreshing. Something about drinking something a little green just "feels" healthy!:laugh:

:sick: :hyst:

I wanted to try this last night, but the avocados we had weren't quite ripe yet. But, I am going to try it.