Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Crock pot pear butter? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812470-crock-pot-pear-butter.html)

Ann Lytle 09-18-2013 05:33 AM

Crock pot pear butter?

I have pears coming out of my ears, have dried, canned and frozen pear sauce. I have given lots away and still have pears. I have never made pear butter and I was wondering if anyone has made it in a crock pot?...... Ann

Charski 09-18-2013 07:52 AM

I've made apple butter and I've made pumpkin butter, both in the crockpot, but I've never made pear butter - but I bet it would be DELICIOUS!

rosethorns 09-18-2013 08:35 AM

Pear butter in the Crockpot

10 to 12 pears peeled & cored
1/4 tsp. liquid sucralose ( or sweeten to your taste)
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Put all in your crockpot , cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Turn off , take out cinnamon stick and puree. With a blender or stick blender. You can now procees to can.

Thats all there is to it. This will fit in a 3 quart crockpot, but I've doubled this for my big crockpot.
I have one with fresh ginger too. Holler if you want it.

Ann Lytle 09-18-2013 09:46 AM

Yes Esther, I would like the one with fresh ginger................ Ann

Charski 09-18-2013 06:37 PM

Essy, are you water bath or pressure canning that? I really want to try it - yum!

rosethorns 09-19-2013 07:52 AM

Sorry guys I was canning . Charski I pressure can the butters because there is no acid to speak of. Pressure pints for 30 minutes 10 lbs. of pressure.

Pear Butter w/ ginger

10 pears peeled & cored
2 T. lemon
1 c. sweetner ( depends on how sweet pears are)
1 inch of ginger ( peel & grate or chop )

Low for about 4 to 6 hrs. in crockpot. Ladle in jars and pressure can for 30 min. , pressure 10 lbs.

If you don't have a pressure canner you can freeze. But they may be a little watery coming from the freezer. I'm not sure I pressure can.I love this recipe. You might have to sweeten a little.

Charski 09-19-2013 09:33 AM

Dang that sounds simple and so good! I've GOT to try it! :)

rosethorns 09-19-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16611116)
Dang that sounds simple and so good! I've GOT to try it! :)

LOL it is so simple. The ginger one has an amazing flavor. Taste to make sure you like the sweetness. It'a awesome!!!!!

Ann Lytle 09-20-2013 10:44 AM

Thanks for the recipe with the ginger, made a double batch of the first one to share with a friend, getting ready to do the other one tomorrow. I don't have a pressure canner, did years ago, have no idea what happened to it, so am going to try freezing. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it works............... Ann

Charski 09-25-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16610958)
Sorry guys I was canning . Charski I pressure can the butters because there is no acid to speak of. Pressure pints for 30 minutes 10 lbs. of pressure.

Pear Butter w/ ginger

10 pears peeled & cored
2 T. lemon
1 c. sweetner ( depends on how sweet pears are)
1 inch of ginger ( peel & grate or chop )

Low for about 4 to 6 hrs. in crockpot. Ladle in jars and pressure can for 30 min. , pressure 10 lbs.

If you don't have a pressure canner you can freeze. But they may be a little watery coming from the freezer. I'm not sure I pressure can.I love this recipe. You might have to sweeten a little.

Well with a little tweakage ;) this is now in the crockpot!

I was gifted a big bag of Asian pears, the kind that are sweet and crispy. So I picked out 10 of the largest ones, quartered, cored and peeled them, then sliced crosswise into thickish slices. They all went into a bowl and then I mixed them with 2 tsp. of citric acid (because I didn't have any lemon juice!) and 1 Splenda quickpack (from my stash) and stirred well, then nuked on High 5 minutes, stirred, again for 5 minutes. At that point I added in some minced fresh ginger, which I keep in the freezer, stirred well and nuked another 5 minutes. The smell is heavenly!

Then I got out my immersion blender and blended it up til just about smooth. Now it's in my small crockpot - I figure 3 hours or so on High should do the job. Tomorrow, I'll get it back out and heat it up, then pressure can it. MMMM I bet it's gonna be so good!

I also have 2 bags of apples and a bag of tiny seeded purple-skinned grapes. Those last items, I ran through my food mill and got the juice in the fridge now. That will be SF grape jelly by the weekend. The apples will probably be applesauce and/or apple butter. We shall see!

I know DH will want to just plain EAT some of the Asian pears and some of the Fuji apples though!

I was also given a bag of very small apples - think I'll save those for the horses next time I go riding. They're just too small to mess with.

rosethorns 09-25-2013 03:25 PM

Absolutely tweakage! You go girl!!!!!

Charski 09-25-2013 03:56 PM

Thanks Essy, this recipe is right up my alley, two flavors I love - pears and ginger! :notwrthy:

rosethorns 09-26-2013 09:50 AM

I love the idea of Asian pears . YUM!!!!

Charski 10-01-2013 02:09 PM

Well, I made applesauce today, then I got out the pear butter and heated it up good and hot, put that into the cute little 4 oz. mason jars, and did the applesauce in half-pint jars. They're just about to come out of the pressure canner!

Essy, my pressure canner instructions say 6 pounds of pressure for 8 minutes on the applesauce - any reason you do your pear sauce at 10 pounds for 30 minutes?

Charski 10-01-2013 02:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh, forgot pictures! :D

rosethorns 10-02-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16626386)
Oh, forgot pictures! :D

They look so pretty Charski. YUM!!!

I do 30 minutes @ 10 lbs. pressure because I've always used this recipe from my grandma. The only thing I changed was I added ginger .I'm afraid to change it. Let me know how yours come out when you eat it.

I like that you used less time.

Very pretty.

Charski 10-02-2013 06:59 PM

Thanks, Essy! :friends:

Well, I followed the instructions in the book that came with the PC, and everything sealed, so I am gonna assume it worked! :up: :D

rosethorns 10-03-2013 10:49 AM

Me too sweetie Thanks.