Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Anyone tried baking with the new sweetener Vivente?

We really love Vivente in our coffee, but not sure about baking with it. Also wondering if any diabetics online have tested their blood glucose after using it. I really like that it has no aftertaste. If I try baking with it before anyone posts, I'll let you know how it goes but don't have the ingredients on hand right now to make anything right now to see. Hope everyone is doing well.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've never heard of it - but just looked it up based on your review.

I hate when a company says it's a "proprietary blend" - and doesn't tell you what is actually IN it.

It DOES make me suspicious that it's "0 glycemic index" and has an agave-based inulin.

Agave SYRUP is higher in fructose than HFCS - not sure about the inulin produced from it?

Normally, inulin gives me extreme gastric distress and renders me unfit for human companionship - even the cats leave the room if I've been eating that stuff.

NOW - I am not gonna pass judgment on THIS particular product because my brief look at their website didn't give me enough info to go on. It certainly SOUNDS interesting but I'd want to know a lot more before I purchased it. I got really burned on agave syrup - 0 glycemic index, safe for diabetics, blah blah blah - and I bought a CASE of it! THEN I find out it's so high in fructose. The liver can readily convert fructose to fat for storage so I ditched the rest of the syrup I still had left.

Yeah, I sound like Debbie Downer but I just want all the info before I decide to try it. I'm always on the lookout for another good sweetener for my LC baking arsenal!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Thanks Charski. I probably got overly excited about it before doing any research as I have IBS and some of the reviews said it was good for the digestive system. We're still on our first box, and none of us have had any stomach issues. I did the same thing with agave, and eventually threw away the bottle we bought after it sat in the pantry forever. I have taken inulin before w/o problems, but now that you mention it, I'm wondering if it's not truly 0 glycemic index. I'll find out more about it before buying another box. I'm not crazy about Stevia, and don't like using Splenda, so hoping this would be a good option. I think it's relatively new, so the jury's still out. Thanks so much for responding!!! Happy lowcarbing!!
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You're welcome, and remember - this is ONLY my opinion, based on what I see! Or have experienced, i.e., the inulin syndrome! LOL!

Have you tried erythritol or xylitol? They're good sweeteners, I like the Truvia packets to carry with me. Like most non-sugar sweetener substitutes, they do better in baking when you combine 2 or more of them.

Have you tried the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs products? I really like those! They are available in packets, tablets, and a bulk plastic bottle. I have tried and hated SO many stevia products, but this is a good one, for me. It is blended with some erythritol. I find that the blend is good for keeping the stevia from tasting bitter and the erythritol from having the cooling mouth effect that it has when used straight.

Just a couple thoughts! We all live and learn, don't we? I try to avoid MOSt of the Splenda products now, but have a ton of the old QuickPacks which I picked up when they were discontinued. Since one packet = one cup of sweetening power, they're great for things like our homemade jams and jellies.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks ladies for the info. I didn't know what it was. But anything that has a filler I try to not eat.

Quiks pacs have a very small amount of filler.

I don't eat Splenda.

Any info on Swerve?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
So far everything I have made with Swerve has come out delicious with no after taste.

Crockpot Cheese Cake
Strawberry Jam
Peaches for cobblers
Almond cake
Pumpkin pie

I have not baked anything chocolate, but it would surprise me if it
was anything but delicious.

The best buy I found was at Netrition.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks Barbo. Thanks
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
So far everything I have made with Swerve has come out delicious with no after taste.

Crockpot Cheese Cake
Strawberry Jam
Peaches for cobblers
Almond cake
Pumpkin pie

I have not baked anything chocolate, but it would surprise me if it
was anything but delicious.

The best buy I found was at Netrition.
I agree on the Swerve, Barbo. And most of what I've used it for was with chocolate. Are you surprised?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote