Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812309-kale-brussels-sprouts-salad.html)

KCSoccer 09-15-2013 05:12 AM

Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad

We had friends over for dinner last night. We served this salad (along with a Roasted Eggplant one that I'll put in a separate post) with pan-seared pork chops and roasted new potatoes (for the non-LCers in the group). The salads were the hit of the dinner.

Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad

1 bunch kale
12 ea Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup red onion slices
1/3 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Dressing:
1/4 cup Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar (from Tasteful Olive)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsps Dijon mustard
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
red chili pepper flakes, optional

Take the ribbing out of the kale with a sharp knife & finely chop. Shred or finely slice Brussel sprouts. Mix in a large bowl.
Place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously to combine.
To serve, toss kale mixture with dressing, then toss in Parmesan, cranberries, sunflower seeds and pepitas.

Note: if you don't have the Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar, I'd use 2 Tbsp. ea lemon juice and white balsamic vinegar.

rosethorns 09-15-2013 07:36 AM

KC this sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thanks

I used the last of my pepitas but going shopping tomorrow.

I have dried cranberries sweetened with Davini.

TxHomeGirl 09-15-2013 06:23 PM

How do you do the dried cranberries sweetened with Davincis? Where can I get plain unsweetened dried cranberries? Then do I just soak them? What flavor of Davincis do I use. Thanks for your help! I love to put dried cranberries on my salads, but they are so high in carbs!

KCSoccer 09-16-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxHomeGirl (Post 16605821)
How do you do the dried cranberries sweetened with Davincis? Where can I get plain unsweetened dried cranberries? Then do I just soak them? What flavor of Davincis do I use. Thanks for your help! I love to put dried cranberries on my salads, but they are so high in carbs!

The unsweetened dried cranberries that I used for the salad were from the site-named-after-the-largest-river-in-South-America. They are from Cherry Bay Orchards. They are very dried and need to be rehydrated before using. I usually take 1/4 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup dried cranberries and let sit for 15-20 minutes, until water has been absorbed (drain off any excess water.) I usually don't add any sweetener but I don't see why you couldn't replace a tablespoon of the water with some SF syrup. The cranberries are very tart, but I like them that way! :)

rosethorns 09-17-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxHomeGirl (Post 16605821)

I'm sorry I just saw this. I sit in my chair and cut cranberries in half. This is tediuos but worth it.

Then soak them in a favorite Davinci syrup for about 4 hours sometimes longer then I dry them in my dehydrator until the way I want them. Store in container.

I use these in salads , cranberry & orange muffins lots of stuff.

I have some sweetened in orange , then another batch sweetened in raspberry.I'm getting ready to do another batch different flavor.

millergirl1976 09-18-2013 11:12 AM

Are both the vegetables raw? Those are two I dont eat raw, but I love.

TxHomeGirl 09-18-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks so much for the info on the cranberries. I have been trying to find unsweetened cranberries for a long time; now I know where to get them and how to sweeten them! I would do the dehydrator recipe, but don't have one. Off to that river now!!:)

KCSoccer 09-19-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16609708)
Are both the vegetables raw? Those are two I dont eat raw, but I love.

Yes, both the kale and sprouts are raw.

Beeb 09-22-2013 06:01 PM

My daughter makes this for us at the holidays and my DH who really hates Brussels spouts loves this salad! :up: