Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sunflower seed flour? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812307-sunflower-seed-flour.html)

Grammy G 09-14-2013 11:16 PM

Sunflower seed flour?

I wondered if anyone has used sunflower seed flour for baking? I'm looking for an alternative to almond flour which I cannot use.

rosethorns 09-15-2013 07:32 AM

Grammy I use sunflower seed flour alot.

I make crackers , sunbutter, I use it in place of almond butter sometimes to make rolls .

Let me think a little more.

dianafoot 09-15-2013 07:32 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. And also, will it thicken gravy, soup, sauces, etc.?

Patience 09-15-2013 07:35 AM

coconut flour is an alternative to almond flour that I like, or flax
there many flour subs at my food coop

Grammy G 09-15-2013 09:19 AM

Hi Esther, :-)
Do you grind your own sunflowers and if so 'how' do you grind them?

I'm in need of a southern biscuit that is not the BTF mix (which I love but can't afford). Have you made one your husband likes?

Grammy G 09-15-2013 09:20 AM

Thank you Bella. Yes, I do use coconut flour and flax seed. I've tried making a biscuit and pie crust out of those but it was so crumbly. I wondered if the sunflower seed flour would help cut the taste of the coconut, too.

TooSweetForMe 09-15-2013 09:29 AM

I also want to know more about using sunflower seed flour. I don't know if I've ever seen it anywhere so am wondering if you make your own.

rosethorns 09-15-2013 01:23 PM

Yes I make my own alot. Please store in fridge when you make it.

I have a vita mix. It will grind them pretty fine for flour. If I want some sunbutter I make at this time. To 2 cups of flour add 2 T. of your favorite oil to make butter.I'm sure you can use a coffee grinder or food processor.

Look in your stores and if you have bulk they usally have nuts. I buy sunflower, pepita, cashew , walnuts, almonds and others to make my butters and flours.

Sunflower & pepitas are pretty cheap. Plus east coast girls I know you can get them at Dollar tree. That's where my sister gets them.If they are salted wash them.

Hope that helps

buttoni 09-15-2013 03:07 PM

I tried a Paleo recipe with sunflower seed flour I attempted to grind up myself last year (can't for the life of me remember what that was right now) and I found the taste of the sunflowers really came through in the final product. If you grind it too fine, you'll end up with sunflower butter/paste. But when you're dealing with allergies, you have to use whatever alternate flours will work for you. :)

watcher513 09-16-2013 04:55 AM

I bet a combination of different ones could off-set an individual taste.

TBipp 09-17-2013 02:58 PM

The cookbook, The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace uses sunflower seed flour in some of their recipes. It is always used in conjunction with other flours. Their recipe for Double-Cheese Focaccia with Tomato Sauce uses 2 cups almond flour and 1 cup sunflower seed flour. It is also used in their Banana Nut Bread, Onion Breadsticks, Pretzels and a pizza crust. The preview to most recipes says it is OK to change around the flours. You may be able to pick this book up your library. It is an outstanding cookbook and has some recipes for baked goods that are quite different from other low carb cookbooks. Yummy photos, too!

Grammy G 09-17-2013 08:21 PM

Thank you so much! I wondered if they use wheat flour in their recipes in the cookbook?

watcher513 09-17-2013 08:42 PM

No, it's gluten-free.

Grammy G 09-17-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks Terry. I noticed that Costco is selling gluten free flour. So would that mean there is no wheat? I guess I really don't understand what gluten free means. I'm headed to do a search now. :-)

lilbeetle 09-17-2013 09:26 PM

I use sunflower seed flour. I grind it in m electric coffee grinder and I use it to replace 50% of the almond flour in any given recipe. It cuts down the almond taste without over powering it. Also sunflower seeds are cheaper than almonds. Mostly I just use it for making muffins

Grammy G 09-17-2013 09:55 PM

Lilbeetle.. that is so good to know. I wonder if you could use part coconut flour and part sunflower flour to replace all of almond flour in recipes?

watcher513 09-18-2013 12:07 AM

Grammy G, I don't see why not? Just remember that the coconut flour needs more liquid than the others. I'd think you can use any combination of whichever flours you want, and/or can use.

Brendajm 09-18-2013 03:11 AM

Lilibeetle. I like the idea of mixing it half with almond flour. Have you tried any cakes doing this? I might try muffins this week as I have some sunflower seed in my freezer.

lilbeetle 09-18-2013 12:09 PM

No, but only because I've only just recently started making cakes :) Its taken me a while to move to allowing myself the odd bit of baking.

Grammy G 09-20-2013 10:04 PM

I made Orange Pecan Muffins this week. I think they are Linda Sue's recipe. I have been using the BTF mix instead of almond flour. So this week I tried 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 sunflower flour and added 2 extra eggs. The taste was great and they turned out so moist. The sunflower helped mellow out the coconut flour taste. I went out and bought more seeds. :-) I think this weekend I'll try making a pie crust with both coconut flour and the sunflower flour.

Brendajm 09-21-2013 04:52 AM

That's great to know Grammy. I have been trying to limit my almond flour. It seems to make me gain.

Grammy G 09-21-2013 09:12 AM

I was using a lot of almond flour and ended up with kidney stones. :dunno:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16613324)
That's great to know Grammy. I have been trying to limit my almond flour. It seems to make me gain.

MerryKate 09-22-2013 01:18 AM

Do you use roasted or raw sunflower seeds to make the flour?

lilbeetle 09-22-2013 11:08 AM

I use raw

Grammy G 09-22-2013 04:27 PM

I've used both and frankly I like the flavor the roasted adds to the recipe.

rosethorns 09-22-2013 05:26 PM

I use both . They have there own uses. Try pepita ( pumkin seeds ) too Grammy.