Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chard (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812263-chard.html)

Deb 09-14-2013 12:30 PM

Chard

I have a ton of green and red chard in the garden..

I steam it and fry it with eggs but im looking for some new idea's

mojave 09-14-2013 12:52 PM

You are so lucky! Chard is my favorite green vegetable. We like it this way.

Chop up some bacon into small pieces and fry it up. Set aside. Sautee a bit of onion in the bacon fat. Add the chard, which has been washed and roughly chopped. Stir and put the lid on the pan. Add a little water to steam the chard if needed. When the chard is done to your liking, add a bit of balsamic vinegar, or cider vinegar, stir and top with the bacon bits. Serve with shaved parmesan or other flavorful cheese.

Dee

Charski 09-14-2013 12:54 PM

I do mine about like Dee does - except I chop up the stemmy parts separately and fry those up a bit first to make sure they're done through, then I add the chopped leafy parts and just wilt them down.

I love the "furry teeth" feel of it! :laugh:

mojave 09-14-2013 01:12 PM

Ha, I forgot that part!

Dee

Deb 09-14-2013 03:41 PM

furry teeth... wow I cant wait to try ..thanks guys:lol:

Ntombi 09-14-2013 04:09 PM

I do similarly, cooking them like greens. In fact, I have some in the fridge, along with collard greens and kale, and I'm going to cook them all together with a couple of jalapeņos, some vinegar, liquid smoke, and a ham bone.

penguinpower 09-14-2013 05:12 PM

We love them Italian style - clean and chop, then in a huge stockpot, dump in the stem chunks first and let steam for a few minutes to soften up, then add in the leafy parts. No need for more water. Cover and cook until just tender. In the meantime, saute sliced fresh garlic in 1/4 cup or so (depending on how much chard you have) of olive oil. When the garlic is fragrant and the oil is kind of bubbling around the edges of the garlic, remove from heat and let garlic sit in the oil -don't let the garlic get brown. When chard is cooked, drain in a colander, then return to the pot and drizzle the garlic-infused oil over it, salt and pepper and we like red pepper flakes for a bit of a kick. If your plan allows it, dump in a can of cannelini beans. If you're planning to eat it all right away you can add in all the cooked garlic, but if you made a ton and it will sit in the fridge for a few days the garlic can overpower the chard, so I don't add in much of the cooked garlic even though I love the stuff. We've been eating this almost every day for weeks now, our chard has done great this year!

cleochatra 09-14-2013 05:19 PM

I love chard!

Here is a recipe I concocted about a year ago before selling my site.
Google: yourlighterside swiss chard casserole with italian sausage

I will admit I am proud of my photography and recipe, but that's neither here nor there...

rosethorns 09-14-2013 06:43 PM

I use them in my shakes. I blanched them for 4 minutes then plunge into a bowl of ice water for 4 minutes . I then put them in ice cube trays and freeze.

I also use the raw leaves as wraps for sandwiches. Yum!

KCSoccer 09-15-2013 05:05 AM

I also have a bunch of chard growing in the garden. Thanks for the ideas to cook it!

dianafoot 09-15-2013 07:31 AM

Oh, I adore chard! I had two huge rainbow chard plants that overwintered for two whole mild winters and we continually picked off the outer leaves to eat.

Mostly I just drizzle a little garlic infused olive oil over the cleaned, stemmed, chopped greens and let them steam lightly, then gently stir them around in the garlic oil to saute a little. They are also really good with a light Asian flair--to the above, drizzle in a few drops of rice vinegar, some hot pepper flakes, a couple of drops of sesame oil, and a little soy sauce to taste. Yum!

Deb 09-15-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16604695)
I use them in my shakes. I blanched them for 4 minutes then plunge into a bowl of ice water for 4 minutes . I then put them in ice cube trays and freeze.

!

very smart !!!

great ideas everyone:)

Deb 09-15-2013 10:31 AM

I lost quite a bit of my chard to bugs..not even sure what kind but does anyone spray there gardens with anything?

I haven't had the problem before:dunno:

dianafoot 09-15-2013 04:21 PM

Had lots of bugs on everything this year, I think because of all the rain and how it drowned and weakened the plants. Have you tried Neem oil soap? Supposed to be organic and not harmful to veggies, but the bugs don't like it.

Deb 09-16-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16605698)
Have you tried Neem oil soap?.

never heard of it
where did you buy it Diana?

funny and we didn't get hardly any rain all summer:dunno:

eterprincess 09-18-2013 03:41 AM

I chop it, boil 2 cups of beef broth, throw in some sliced salt pork and let that boil for 15 minutes. Then thro in the chard and let it wilt, about another 5 minutes

dianafoot 09-21-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb (Post 16606166)
never heard of it
where did you buy it Diana?

funny and we didn't get hardly any rain all summer:dunno:

Any large hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) or large plant store should have it.

rosethorns 09-21-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16605063)
Oh, I adore chard! I had two huge rainbow chard plants that overwintered for two whole mild winters and we continually picked off the outer leaves to eat.

Mostly I just drizzle a little garlic infused olive oil over the cleaned, stemmed, chopped greens and let them steam lightly, then gently stir them around in the garlic oil to saute a little. They are also really good with a light Asian flair--to the above, drizzle in a few drops of rice vinegar, some hot pepper flakes, a couple of drops of sesame oil, and a little soy sauce to taste. Yum!

So you over wintered your chard Diana.I did this with broccoli a couple of years ago. We have mild winters but cold.

So I want to do it with my chard and brussel sprouts this year. I 've been thinking about this.

Neem oil you can get at any hardware store. Also try 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Sometimes this will work.

shelby'snana 09-21-2013 06:20 PM

Deb I started a thread about swiss chard the other day too ! I bought some and haven't cooked it yet ! Going to keep up with the answers you get too :)