Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut mound balls (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/812169-coconut-mound-balls.html)

cfine 09-13-2013 06:45 AM

Coconut mound balls

I saw a recipe a couple of days ago that my neighbor used to make for us. As I looked at the ingredients, I got so excited because I realized that it could easily be converts to LC.

Coconut Mound Balls

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered erithyitol(swerve)
3cups unsweetened shredded coconut
16 ounces sugar free chocolate chips

Mix up the melted butter, powdered erithyitol, and coconut in large bowl. Roll into 36 balls. Place in refrigerator for an hour.

Melt chocolate in microwave. Roll each ball in chocolate and remove with two forks. Place on waxed paper. Place in refrigerator to harden. Keep in frig.

Each ball has:
129 calories
2.2 net carbs

I used a small cookie scooper and ended up with 41 balls at 113 calories and 1.9 net carbs each.

ravenrose 09-13-2013 09:21 AM

I bet those are terrific! that carb count could be deceptive for some of us though... the "sugar free" choc chips have those other sugar alcohols like maltitol that many of us process exactly like sugar. others count them at 50% of the listed sugar alcohols. I think generally people who are or have been obese have the sort of metabolism where they have to be careful thinking these are "safe." but maybe you have choc chips made with erythritol or something? I know there are bars like that...

alex_in_wonderland 09-13-2013 01:22 PM

These sound good!
I'm guessing since you have to melt the chocolate chips anyway, you could just sub a higher percentage dark chocolate or baking chocolate, and add erythritol and stevia to it to sweeten? That's what I would try...and probably will since these sound so good right now!

tofucheez 09-14-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16602906)
I bet those are terrific! that carb count could be deceptive for some of us though... the "sugar free" choc chips have those other sugar alcohols like maltitol that many of us process exactly like sugar. others count them at 50% of the listed sugar alcohols. I think generally people who are or have been obese have the sort of metabolism where they have to be careful thinking these are "safe." but maybe you have choc chips made with erythritol or something? I know there are bars like that...

I've often wondered about this. So do some of you count erythritol, too?

Soobee 09-14-2013 02:23 PM

I don't count erythritol. It's 0 on the glycemic index and only 3 calories per TBS. I do count maltitol, since it's closer to 50% on the glycemic index and higher calorie.

Barbo 09-14-2013 05:40 PM

Lovely

After dinner candies to go with coffee....

tofucheez 09-14-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks, Soobee.

rosethorns 09-15-2013 07:44 AM

I make coconut mounds bars using coconut butter. YUM

cfine 09-16-2013 06:41 PM

I did use the Hershey's SF chocolate chips which do have malitol. I think I'm going to try my chocolate sweetened with stevia next time.