Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   SOS! For anyone who has never tried... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811975-sos-anyone-who-has-never-tried.html)

Natalia 09-11-2013 01:37 PM

SOS! For anyone who has never tried...

Those almond thin crackers from the recipe help section, you need to drop everything and make a batch of these bad boys! They are a lifesaver! They taste exactly like "real" crackers- in my case, Vegetable Thins (due to seasoning)

I'm making some buffalo chicken dip for supper and am stoked to have crackers along with my celery and petite baby carrots to dip.

emel 09-11-2013 03:30 PM

Could you provide a link? The recipe room is a hot mess and I never can find anything on a search of it.

snowmop 09-11-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16600326)
Could you provide a link? The recipe room is a hot mess and I never can find anything on a search of it.

I thought I was the only one!!!!

emel 09-11-2013 04:00 PM

Ohhhh I saw upon re-reading that you said recipe help section.
That one I can navigate.

This one?
Quote:

This was originally posted by MiRedKitty on the "Awesome Appetizers" sticky.

Almond Thins

1 cup almond flour
1 packet of Splenda
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 325. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Spray a piece of wax paper with cooking spray and lay over top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove wax paper. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on rack in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 50 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavor-use ranch powder, ground bacon bits, season salt...
My version:
1 c almond flour
1/2 c parmesan (or other ratio, as long as you end up w/1.5 cups total)

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano or parsley or a mixture of both
1/2 tsp sea salt
a touch of sweetener-- maybe 1/2 a packet
1 egg
1/2 tbl olive oil

roll out onto parchment paper. Score into the shape you want, pricking with a fork seems to make them cook more evenly. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake 350 for 12-15 min, turn oven off, let them sit in oven 10 more min to dry out more.

MissBeeps 09-11-2013 04:18 PM

Does it *really* need the sweetener? I can't stand the taste of any of the AS.

Natalia 09-11-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBeeps (Post 16600387)
Does it *really* need the sweetener? I can't stand the taste of any of the AS.

I'm not sure, but I did add it and couldn't detect any AS taste.
If its a deal breaker for you, I would def try without!

Natalia 09-11-2013 04:32 PM

Yes, that's the one, Emel.
Here's how I made mine:

1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
2t Splenda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp onion powder
2tsp McCormick garlic plus seasoning

Combine everything in bowl until well blended. Turn out onto greased foil lined sheet. Using greased sandwich Baggie, use your hand to pat down dough to 1/8" thickness .
Use pizza cutter to cut into 1" squares .
Bake in preheated 325 oven for 10-15 min until golden. Outer edges brown first, so you may want to take some out at the 10 minute mark and let the center crackers crisp for another 3-5 min.

With the garlic plus seasoning they taste just like vegetable thins! I imagine golden flax would lend a whole wheat texture, and I wonder if dill pickle or all dressed popcorn seasoning would make them reminiscent of Crispers.

All in all, such a satisfying cracker and I plan to have these made on the regular :D

graciejean 09-11-2013 04:44 PM

going to make these,sounds so good,thanks

Charski 09-11-2013 06:36 PM

I don't add the sweetener and they're just fine. The almonds are sweet by themselves, IMHO.

I LOVE these crackers. TOO much! I can clear a pan of them in one day all by myself! :)

rosethorns 09-11-2013 06:41 PM

I don't use the sweetner either. I just made some sunflower crackers.

TooSweetForMe 09-13-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16600590)
I don't use the sweetner either. I just made some sunflower crackers.

How did you do the sunflower crackers? Just substitute ground sunflower seeds for the almonds? If that's the case I would love to try them. I just got some sunflower seeds from WM and they have a ranch flavored sunflower seed that I picked up to put in my salads.

dawnyama 09-24-2013 05:42 PM

There are many variations here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...ond-thins.html

I still have yet to make these. Maybe tomorrow!