Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Has anyone baked with Xylitol? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811751-has-anyone-baked-xylitol.html)

Romy 09-08-2013 07:11 AM

Has anyone baked with Xylitol?

I often bake with Splenda and I use much less than the recipe asks for bc it leaves an aftertaste. My girlfriend made a cheesecake using Xylitol and it was delicious, no aftertaste. Xylitol has carbs, but I think that it is sugar alcohol. Do I add the carbs to the recipe or do I subtract since the carbs are sugar alcohol.

Nigel 09-08-2013 11:10 AM

If you are counting by net carbs, you subtract the sugar alcohols.

I have baked with xylitol, but it was years ago and I recall it baked up nicely just like using real sugar.

I stopped using it because it is harmful to dogs and my dogs think they have to have a sample of everything. lol

rosethorns 09-08-2013 02:00 PM

I use it all the time along with Eyrithitol , Liquid sucralose and Nu Naturals stevia.

Splenda has a filler and I'm allergic to it. I'm in maintenace so I don't recall the carbs. Sorry.

Mistizoom 09-08-2013 03:07 PM

Xylitol is probably my fourth choice. I prefer sucralose, stevia, and/or erythritol, but I do use it occasionally in recipes. IIRC, it is slightly more digestable than erythritol, so you may want to subtract only half to three-fourths of the carbs if calculating net carbs.

If you like Splenda, but not the aftertaste, you might want to try liquid sucralose such as EZ-Sweetz instead. It's the fillers like malodextrin that usually cause that.

SkeeterN 09-08-2013 03:39 PM

I really love ideal which is a mix of xylitol and splenda. I bake with this all the time! Found an amazing butter cream frosting that uses xylitol and I used Ideal. Omigosh! This was the most amazing frosting I have ever tasted since doing low carb. If you google Sugar Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream by domestifluff you might find it!

Nigel 09-08-2013 04:31 PM

Thanks for the tip, Skeeter. Off to google now. :)

dianafoot 09-08-2013 05:06 PM

i use xylitol along with equal parts of erythritol and tagatose. I add a drop or two of EzSweets to the mixture to boost the sweetener to be like sugar. I find the combination of those three crystalized sweeteners to compliment each other and avoid the "cooling" effect of x and e without giving the laxative effect of tagatose alone. I do like Ideal, but I think it contains maltodextrin, doesn't it?

It's certainly a journey!

theredhead 09-09-2013 06:49 AM

I've used Xylitol for several different recipes, and really like it a lot. For me, the only downside is that is still has quite a few calories, unlike other sugar alcohols or Splenda. I have to watch my calories a bit, and it's hard to justify using the Xylitol instead of my usual Sweetzfree/Eryithol combo that sweetens really well.

I don't have dogs living in my house, so it's not a problem for me....but it's poisonous to dogs, and I wouldn't recommend it for use in a dog household.

flossie73 09-09-2013 03:38 PM

I use xylitol for all my baking. Sometimes I will add some stevia to boost the sweetness and to dilute the cost of the xylitol - :laugh: