Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Husband always starving! Snack help!

My husband snacks ALOT. Like sometime 3 or four snacks after dinner. I know it's not ideal but he does and lc hasn't stopped his hunger at night. I make him Bpc and scrambles eggs and cheese with meat every morning pack a salad and meat and maybe a cheese stick for lunch... He wants a snack when he gets home and then dinner protein and veggies plus a salad most nights... Then another several snacks... It's exhausting to keep up with his eating... I am on the same basic plan but eat very little comparitively... Almost never snack! We do high fat mod protein lo wish carb and I am satiated. I need ideas for simple snacks with some variety and things that he can take to work... Other than boiled eggs pork rinds guac and cheese... Help!
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
No sugar beef jerky is a good snack around this house, and deviled eggs. Cheese-stuffed celery. String cheese sticks. Cucumber rounds and tuna salad - scoop it up with the cucumbers like you would with chips.

My DH is also an after-dinner grazer and these are some of the things he likes.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
What kind of things is he snacking on? Salty? Sweet? Crunchy? Chewy?
Is he snacking while watching TV?

Might be easier to suggest some options for you.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I would pack on the pounds if I did that much snacking. Maybe there's another way to look at it, though I can certainly understand that having lots of good ideas for snacks helps to keep things interesting.

Maybe he is actually bored. Some people snack a lot to ward off boredom. Is he willing to go for a long walk mid-evening or some other activity (assuming that's possible, of course)?
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
My newest snack.

We got a double pack of Italian Salami at Cost Co.
I dab a bit of cream cheese and roll 'em. They are good with
cherry tomatoes and garlic dills, add a few cheese squares to the plate.
He will love it!
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
How about a protein shake. They're usually filling and can taste like dessert.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! His appetite is dying out a bit but he will always be a snacked... He used to do fruit salads, popcorn, peanuts and crunch veggies... Sweet stuff like sweet are and sour gummy worms and ice cream now and then... I'm giving him hard boiled eggs, veggies and ranch or cream cheese, guag and pork rinds and I made garlic parm chips he liked. Also a bit of home made pico de gallo he has had some peanuts when he really wants them... The shell on kind so it is more sAtisfying with less... Last night he REALLy wanted fruit so I gave him a smallish wedge of cantaloupe and it stopped the snacking... Fortunately he is usually able to lose with more carbs than me or most... 50 or so and he usually does fine, but I'm worried that the cravings persist. I have zero and had zero for carny stuff since the first week. I prepare his food and its clean... So why the cravings? He has started being very thirsty so maybe it just took him a bit longer to kick into ketosis this time.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Maybe more food in the evening meal . . . pork or beef are more satiating for longer periods of time, I read on another thread. Hard boiled eggs are not satiating, so that may not be the best snack choice for him. Of course, all depends on whether snacking is habit or hunger . . maybe some mixture.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Scotch eggs are good and more filling than deviled eggs. You say he seems very thirsty, that could be a sign of high blood sugar, which could be an issue if he's snacking too much. Even low carb snacks can add up fast. I'm not saying he does have high blood sugar levels but its something to be aware of.

Celery stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese, low carb crackers with low carb dips and spreads, i like munching on olives, pickles, cheese and pepperoni or other meats. If he likes sweets you could make a quick ice cream by blending cream with some frozen berries and a little sf sweetener or no sugar added peanut butter and chocolate, cream cheese muffins make a good snack. Homemade jello and pudding, low carb yogurt with low carb granola, it's much easier to come up with sweet snacks lol

I think for people who eat low carb and like to snack it can be a problem because its hard to switch things up all the time and keep it low carb.

I'm a snacker and I can do great all day but night time when I'm relaxing I want to snack. It's always been the hardest time for me. It probably has something to do with emotional eating, who knows lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Oh yes, Scotch Eggs are Very filling and are so good!
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Scotch eggs get my vote too! Especially with the jimmy dean maple sausage. Yum-ie! Also, lunch meat slices (any kind would work, we like beef) with a smear of cream cheese with chives, roll them up & enjoy! Or that new one with jalapeño. Pepperoni chips with cheese or dip. Cream cheese muffins are good too. I would think higher fat would be more satisfying..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If he's eating 50ish grams of carbs per day, he may be able to lose; but may not be in ketosis. Ketosis would help with the hunger. Also, he'll probably just have to make a new habit. I know he's losing as he is right now, but for someone to have three or four snacks after dinner seems excessive.

As to what he can have, you can keep things in the fridge that are easy to grab. Tuna or salmon salad, egg salad, meat and cheese rollups, cooked meats (chicken, turkey, ham, anything, just make extra servings with dinner, and slice it up for snacks), pickles, different cheeses, including string cheese, olives, oysters, sardines, cold cuts...
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I agree ! But if he's hungry he will eat and I want to have legal choices available... I should also say we typically have dinner early so it's a good four or five hours before bed... So smallish snacks while a but excessive is not difficult to comprehend... I wonder if five small meals might be of benefit to him?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
My husband eats lots of snacks between dinner and bedtime and it doesn't seem to affect his weight - it would mine. He eats peanuts, pecans, and even a low carb chocolate chip cookie. I also make up a batch of my protein smoothie that makes 3 tall glasses full and divide it between 6 small dishes. He eats it like ice cream (sometimes with the cookie crumbled on top) almost every night - but it is VERY low in carbs and calories.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I have been married a looong time and this is my advice. It is up to him to manage his own behavior. If he wants to follow a low carb lifestyle, he will figure out what works for him. Focus your efforts on being your best for yourself and he will respond to that more than to a never ending snack supply. Time for some tough love.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Lol... I have been providing meals and snacks both low carb and not for 7 years. Bad habit yes... But I'd rather not have him dead at 45 of heart attack so...