Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Husband always starving! Snack help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811578-husband-always-starving-snack-help.html)

erinmarie 09-05-2013 08:08 AM

Husband always starving! Snack help!

My husband snacks ALOT. Like sometime 3 or four snacks after dinner. I know it's not ideal but he does and lc hasn't stopped his hunger at night. I make him Bpc and scrambles eggs and cheese with meat every morning pack a salad and meat and maybe a cheese stick for lunch... He wants a snack when he gets home and then dinner protein and veggies plus a salad most nights... Then another several snacks... It's exhausting to keep up with his eating... I am on the same basic plan but eat very little comparitively... Almost never snack! We do high fat mod protein lo wish carb and I am satiated. I need ideas for simple snacks with some variety and things that he can take to work... Other than boiled eggs pork rinds guac and cheese... Help!

Charski 09-05-2013 08:43 AM

No sugar beef jerky is a good snack around this house, and deviled eggs. Cheese-stuffed celery. String cheese sticks. Cucumber rounds and tuna salad - scoop it up with the cucumbers like you would with chips.

My DH is also an after-dinner grazer and these are some of the things he likes.

Gabby1 09-05-2013 01:29 PM

What kind of things is he snacking on? Salty? Sweet? Crunchy? Chewy?
Is he snacking while watching TV?

Might be easier to suggest some options for you.

miboje 09-05-2013 02:57 PM

I would pack on the pounds if I did that much snacking. Maybe there's another way to look at it, though I can certainly understand that having lots of good ideas for snacks helps to keep things interesting.

Maybe he is actually bored. Some people snack a lot to ward off boredom. Is he willing to go for a long walk mid-evening or some other activity (assuming that's possible, of course)?

Barbo 09-05-2013 08:22 PM

My newest snack.

We got a double pack of Italian Salami at Cost Co.
I dab a bit of cream cheese and roll 'em. They are good with
cherry tomatoes and garlic dills, add a few cheese squares to the plate.
He will love it!

watcher513 09-06-2013 03:27 AM

How about a protein shake. They're usually filling and can taste like dessert.

erinmarie 09-06-2013 07:33 AM

Thanks! His appetite is dying out a bit but he will always be a snacked... He used to do fruit salads, popcorn, peanuts and crunch veggies... Sweet stuff like sweet are and sour gummy worms and ice cream now and then... I'm giving him hard boiled eggs, veggies and ranch or cream cheese, guag and pork rinds and I made garlic parm chips he liked. Also a bit of home made pico de gallo :) he has had some peanuts when he really wants them... The shell on kind so it is more sAtisfying with less... Last night he REALLy wanted fruit so I gave him a smallish wedge of cantaloupe and it stopped the snacking... Fortunately he is usually able to lose with more carbs than me or most... 50 or so and he usually does fine, but I'm worried that the cravings persist. I have zero and had zero for carny stuff since the first week. I prepare his food and its clean... So why the cravings? He has started being very thirsty so maybe it just took him a bit longer to kick into ketosis this time.

Patience 09-06-2013 07:40 AM

Maybe more food in the evening meal . . . pork or beef are more satiating for longer periods of time, I read on another thread. Hard boiled eggs are not satiating, so that may not be the best snack choice for him. Of course, all depends on whether snacking is habit or hunger . . maybe some mixture.

Ginaaaaaa 09-06-2013 03:00 PM

Scotch eggs are good and more filling than deviled eggs. You say he seems very thirsty, that could be a sign of high blood sugar, which could be an issue if he's snacking too much. Even low carb snacks can add up fast. I'm not saying he does have high blood sugar levels but its something to be aware of.

Celery stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese, low carb crackers with low carb dips and spreads, i like munching on olives, pickles, cheese and pepperoni or other meats. If he likes sweets you could make a quick ice cream by blending cream with some frozen berries and a little sf sweetener or no sugar added peanut butter and chocolate, cream cheese muffins make a good snack. Homemade jello and pudding, low carb yogurt with low carb granola, it's much easier to come up with sweet snacks lol

I think for people who eat low carb and like to snack it can be a problem because its hard to switch things up all the time and keep it low carb.

I'm a snacker and I can do great all day but night time when I'm relaxing I want to snack. It's always been the hardest time for me. It probably has something to do with emotional eating, who knows lol

watcher513 09-06-2013 04:24 PM

Oh yes, Scotch Eggs are Very filling and are so good!

snowangel9 09-07-2013 12:07 AM

Scotch eggs get my vote too! Especially with the jimmy dean maple sausage. Yum-ie! Also, lunch meat slices (any kind would work, we like beef) with a smear of cream cheese with chives, roll them up & enjoy! Or that new one with jalapeņo. Pepperoni chips with cheese or dip. Cream cheese muffins are good too. I would think higher fat would be more satisfying.. :)

Ntombi 09-07-2013 01:19 AM

If he's eating 50ish grams of carbs per day, he may be able to lose; but may not be in ketosis. Ketosis would help with the hunger. Also, he'll probably just have to make a new habit. I know he's losing as he is right now, but for someone to have three or four snacks after dinner seems excessive.

As to what he can have, you can keep things in the fridge that are easy to grab. Tuna or salmon salad, egg salad, meat and cheese rollups, cooked meats (chicken, turkey, ham, anything, just make extra servings with dinner, and slice it up for snacks), pickles, different cheeses, including string cheese, olives, oysters, sardines, cold cuts...

erinmarie 09-07-2013 11:24 AM

I agree ! But if he's hungry he will eat and I want to have legal choices available... I should also say we typically have dinner early so it's a good four or five hours before bed... So smallish snacks while a but excessive is not difficult to comprehend... I wonder if five small meals might be of benefit to him?

sligh 09-08-2013 06:04 AM

My husband eats lots of snacks between dinner and bedtime and it doesn't seem to affect his weight - it would mine. He eats peanuts, pecans, and even a low carb chocolate chip cookie. I also make up a batch of my protein smoothie that makes 3 tall glasses full and divide it between 6 small dishes. He eats it like ice cream (sometimes with the cookie crumbled on top) almost every night - but it is VERY low in carbs and calories.

cjack1 09-08-2013 09:30 AM

I have been married a looong time and this is my advice. It is up to him to manage his own behavior. If he wants to follow a low carb lifestyle, he will figure out what works for him. Focus your efforts on being your best for yourself and he will respond to that more than to a never ending snack supply. Time for some tough love. :)

erinmarie 09-08-2013 04:09 PM

Lol... I have been providing meals and snacks both low carb and not for 7 years. Bad habit yes... But I'd rather not have him dead at 45 of heart attack so...