Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Peanut Butter & "Jelly" Ribeye or NY Sirloin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811525-peanut-butter-jelly-ribeye-ny-sirloin.html)

Garlic 09-04-2013 08:47 AM

Peanut Butter & "Jelly" Ribeye or NY Sirloin

OK, the "jelly" isn't exactly jelly, but close,and it does have a bit of sugar in the recipe, but you are only using a TINY bit of it. I would still call this a low carb meal.

The Steaks:

( 4 ) 12 ounce ribeyes or NY sirloin ( I usually use NY Sirloin )
( 2 ) TBS Canadian style steak seasoning

Press the seasoning into the steaks, put the bags in the fridge for an hour.

The Peanut Sauce:

1 TBS olive oil
1 chopped shallot.... chopped / diced..... make them pretty small
1/4 cup sweet rice wine
1/3 cup HWC
1/3 cup smooth NATURAL peanut butter
2 tsp black pepper - FRESHLY CRACKED is MUCH BETTER
1 tsp salt

Making the Sauce:

Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium sized pan . Then add the shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add the rice wine now. Boil, and reduce to half the liquid. When liquid is reduced, cut the heat back to medium Now whisk in the HWC and PB until all nice and smooth. Add pepper and salt. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. Take the sauce and put it aside, but keep it warm.

The "Jelly":

1.5 cups of thawed frozen cranberries, or use fresh
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup OJ

Put all these ingredients in a NON STICK pot and bring to a boil - SLOWLY. Cook at boiling for about 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the cranberries split open. Skim off any impurities from the top when done. Let cool a little bit. ( Stir as needed while cooking )

The Steaks AGAIN...

Grill outside or in a grill pan to desired doneness. I love making up words. :D

Slice the steaks against the grain into thin slices. Place some peanut sauce on your plate and place the slices over the peanut sauce. Then take about 1 TBS of the "jelly" and place on top of the steaks.

It tastes best if you get some of each sauce in every bite.

I "guess" you could use a sugar substitute instead of sugar. I have a feeling it might get bitter, but I never tried it. Also, while there is some carbs in the "jelly", you only need about 1 TBS for your serving.... just enough to accent the steak and the peanut sauce.

marieze 09-04-2013 04:38 PM

Sounds delish, but between the orange juice, sweet rice wine vinegar and sugar I would be knocked straight out of ketosis....too hard to get back in to :laugh:

Tweaker Geek 09-04-2013 06:56 PM

Marieze - maybe sugar-free Tang could be used in place of the OJ, it does have that orangey flavor. I would definitely use a sugar sub for the sugar, for lowest carbs I'd use EZ Sweetz. As for the rice wine vinegar, I'd probably just use white wine vinegar or cut the rice wine vinegar to 1/8 cup for 12 carbs. Four 12 oz. steaks would make 4 or 8 servings depending on how much meat one would eat (I'd do the 12 oz. myself!). But even at 4 servings the vinegar would add 3 carbs per serving.

I'm just thinking it would be doable for a special occasion.

Charski 09-05-2013 08:10 AM

I'd just use some SF orange soda in place of the water, sugar, and OJ - get one that doesn't have aspartame (like Zevia or one of the other Splenda-sweetened brands) and use that to cook the cranberries. Alternatively, you could mix some SF orange syrup (like Torani) with water and do the same thing.

For the rice wine, don't buy it sweetened - just buy the unseasoned kind and add some sweetener to it. However, in that small amount (1/4 cup for the whole recipe of sauce) it probably contains very little sugar even in the already-sweetened variety.

I'm a steak purist - the only thing I MIGHT ever put on my steak is compound butter, and rarely even that - but this sauce sounds good, and I bet it's good on chicken too - especially cutlets, pounded out thin, pan-sauteed til done, then sauced. :yummy:

Only one question though - WHERE IS THE GARLIC?! :laugh:

flatferenghi 09-05-2013 09:33 AM

i must confess, i like my steak more basic.

just garlic and freshly cracked black pepper for me. I DID do a variation of pb & jelly, though. It was given to me by the old sea hag-Peanut butter and JELLYfish sandwiches (on lc bread of course). Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

Garlic 09-05-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16591131)
... snip.....
I'm a steak purist - the only thing I MIGHT ever put on my steak is compound butter, and rarely even that - but this sauce sounds good, and I bet it's good on chicken too - especially cutlets, pounded out thin, pan-sauteed til done, then sauced. :yummy:

Only one question though - WHERE IS THE GARLIC?! :laugh:

Wait til I post my Coffee Mocha wet rub for porterhouse... or ribeye.... really, ribeye is my favorite.

Charski 09-05-2013 01:33 PM

Ribeye is my fave too. Or really, rib steak, cuz I like to gnaw the bone!

I used to like NY strip best but the rib cuts are just better.