Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   St Louis Spareribs... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811494-st-louis-spareribs.html)

Chocolate Rose 09-03-2013 07:30 PM

St Louis Spareribs...

What the heck are these amazing things?
I picked up a package at Costco last weekend (pricey!) and dh grilled them tonight. He just added seasoning, no sauce. They were amazing!! I think they were actually the best thing I've eaten in months. Tons of flavor and juicy and just awesome!! Is this a special cut or something else?

Charski 09-03-2013 07:40 PM

It's just a squared-up cut from regular spareribs - not so much fat and stuff as they cut off the tops and the rib tips.

I bought them by accident at Costco one time. They were good but we still prefer the baby back ribs for our smoker.

Chocolate Rose 09-03-2013 07:51 PM

Thanks for your response!
It was just the right amount of fat, so that makes sense.
I've never had baby back ribs, but if they're better than these were, I think I'll pick some up the next time at Costco. :yummy:

arly 09-05-2013 05:11 PM

actually we prefer St Louis

Given a choice we always pick St Louis...they cook more evenly as one thickness throughout...Baby backs have a varying thickness...very thick at one end, not so much @other. I also like the fat distribution on the flat ribs better. They're also about $1. less per lb. To each his own tho.:D:D

Chocolate Rose 09-05-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arly (Post 16591906)
Given a choice we always pick St Louis...they cook more evenly as one thickness throughout...Baby backs have a varying thickness...very thick at one end, not so much @other. I also like the fat distribution on the flat ribs better. They're also about $1. less per lb. To each his own tho.:D:D

Thanks! Dh grilled up the rest of the ribs tonight. I'm SO loving these! I will try the baby backs, but your comments make me think I'll end up preferring the St Louis ribs, too.

Charski 09-06-2013 03:19 PM

It's all a matter of preference. We like the meatier baby backs better. I won't buy the St. Louis cut ones again, it was an accident the first time and we weren't nearly as happy with them as what WE are used to - the baby backs! :laugh:

If you like the St. Louis cut ones, you'll probably prefer them over the baby backs. Report back if you do try them though! :)

Ginaaaaaa 09-06-2013 04:06 PM

I always liked smithfields baby backs. I actually just had them last week. So yummy!

I've never heard of St Louis ribs before. When I use to buy spareribs I think that the southern style ribs were usually more tender than the country style, or is it the other way around? l always forget!

pocahontas 09-06-2013 04:13 PM

My parents were just praising the St Louis ribs too! They grilled them at their house and we loved them. They have only been on sale once here and it was a weekend we were out of town. I need to keep my eyes out for them!

helenback 09-10-2013 06:07 AM

We prefer babyback ribs to St. Louis cut too.

We are some serious rib eaters at my house. We buy a bunch of ribs at Sam's (or whenever we find them on sale around the holidays). Then take them to a local restaurant that charges 95 cents per lb to smoke them.

So for about 3.50 to 4.00 per lb (total) we have a ton of ribs in the freezer at all times. Which is tons cheaper than 18.99 per lb in restaurants.

loves me some pork ribs!

Chocolate Rose 09-13-2013 08:02 AM

Dh grilled up some St Louis and some baby back so that we could do a side b side comparison.:jumpjoy:
I liked them both and wouldn't turn either one down! I think that the St Louis had a bit more fat and I really liked that. But, the baby back had more meat per rib and I liked that, too. So, for me, right now, there is no clear winner.

Guess what I' going to be eating for the next couple of nights??? yummy::yummy:

Charski 09-13-2013 05:18 PM

Poor you, had to do a taste test, and now stuck with ALLLLL those ribs.... :D :laugh:

It's a nice dilemma, eh? Glad you liked both!