Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What is your fave way to make Haddock? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811387-what-your-fave-way-make-haddock.html)

Tracy0821 09-02-2013 09:02 PM

What is your fave way to make Haddock?

my daughter fried hers tonight in butter....

Mimosa23 09-03-2013 01:40 AM

I like mine baked in the oven with butter, fresh herbs and a splash of white wine... (actually that's good with any type of white fish)

emel 09-03-2013 05:44 AM

Poor Man's Lobster, with a ramekin of melted butter on the side.
I haven't made it for awhile, but when my husband came back with 80 lbs of fish from a sporting trip, we had it every Sunday for awhile. It's delicious and super-easy.

Bring a quart of water, 2 Tbl vinegar, 2 tsp salt to a boil. Cut the haddock into chunks. Drop into boiling water and reduce heat to medium. Do not crowd pan. Turn fish once during cooking. When they float, they are done, usually 10-15 min. Serve with lemon wedges and melted butter.

You can brush it with butter and run it under the broiler to brown it, but since we like fish done but not overdone, I skipped that part (we like ours to be cooked to just before it starts to flake.)

Tracy0821 09-03-2013 07:22 AM

Thanks everyone. Making it tomorrow. Making a pot roast today. I hate when Summer ends I am feeling blue over it. Hoping to drop 80 pounds by May 10, 2014.

Natalia 09-03-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16587277)
Poor Man's Lobster, with a ramekin of melted butter on the side.
I haven't made it for awhile, but when my husband came back with 80 lbs of fish from a sporting trip, we had it every Sunday for awhile. It's delicious and super-easy.

Bring a quart of water, 2 Tbl vinegar, 2 tsp salt to a boil. Cut the haddock into chunks. Drop into boiling water and reduce heat to medium. Do not crowd pan. Turn fish once during cooking. When they float, they are done, usually 10-15 min. Serve with lemon wedges and melted butter.

You can brush it with butter and run it under the broiler to brown it, but since we like fish done but not overdone, I skipped that part (we like ours to be cooked to just before it starts to flake.)

Every recipe for Poor Mans Lobster I've ever seen had sweetener. Lobster has a sweet undertone.
I made mine with Splenda in the water. It was yummy, easy but time consuming.
Since I live in the maritimes I usually just buy lobster.

I like fish pan fried , though its usually salmon. Haddock was my preference for battered fish.

Ginaaaaaa 09-03-2013 11:22 AM

I love haddock chowder!! I cut up some onion and potatoes or use your favorite potato sub..radish, celeriac, cauliflower.. etc then melt some butter in a pan and sauté the onion and potato then add enough water to cover them and simmer until tender, then lay the haddock on top of the onion and potato and cool until the haddock flakes easily and is opaque. Then I add some half and half or your favorite milk sub and some butter. It's so yummy!!

Tweaker Geek 09-03-2013 02:32 PM

Yum - haddock chowder!! That's a favorite of mine too, Gina!

Natalia 09-03-2013 04:22 PM

Chowdah-- mmmm!
I like fish chowder with lobster, scallops, salmon and whitefish, but I tend to do cod for the whitefish as its cheaper.
I used to love chicken corn chowder..yum
Not much says fall like chowder and pumpkin spice latte.