Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What meal would you make? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/811367-what-meal-would-you-make.html)

Emily-D 09-02-2013 05:19 PM

What meal would you make?

A family at my church needs to have meals brought to them. If I sign up for an evening, I don't know what I should provide.

The woman is morbidly obese. Her husband and teenage daughter are also obese.

The email I received said:

[Name removed] is having recurrent problems with one of her legs as a result of her diabetes.
Meal Specifications: Low salt, not too spicy, allergy to legumes. Foods like meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, jello, and brothy foods such as egg drop soup.

I can't make much sense of that information, as I don't see much similarity among those foods. I didn't know she was diabetic, and I don't know how long she has known she's diabetic, but I've seen her eat all sorts of carby things and desserts.

Of course, I have an opinion on what would be best for her to eat, but if I make a low carb meal, it won't make one bit of difference if she continues eating the way she always has eaten. I know that people usually bring pasta dishes, and of course that would be easy and inexpensive.

I don't want to call her and question her about what she eats. I would like to sign up to provide a meal, but I need some suggestions. Thank you!

pooticus 09-02-2013 05:23 PM

King Ranch Casserole or some kind of chicken and mushroom casserole. Use low carb tortillas...they'll never know!

Or make Cabbage Roll Skillet or Crack Slaw or something like that?

Mistizoom 09-02-2013 05:40 PM

It sounds like they want "comfort foods" that aren't too spicy. Probably something that is easy to eat and also easy to reheat. I agree a casserole souds like it would be good. You could easily make a LC meatloaf (or mini meatloaves) or something like Linda Sue's Stuffing Pie, which my family loves. I don't think in good conscience I could bring a pasta-based casserole.

ravenrose 09-02-2013 08:43 PM

just remember that the high fat things we can eat low carbing are not good for people who eat lots of carbs. good luck.

Natalia 09-02-2013 08:49 PM

Chicken vegetable soup?
Or chicken and rice soup?

They are not searching for a new woe and if it were me I would just think of (non-LC) comfort foods like tangy meatballs with potato salad, or lasagna and garlic bread or Caesar.

Homemade chicken salad with croissants?
Butter chicken and basmati?

What are your specialties?

Natalia 09-02-2013 08:50 PM

Beef stew with crusty rolls?
Chicken and dumplings?
Chicken lasagna?
Wonton soup?
Tourtière ?

ArdMaine 09-03-2013 03:48 AM

Make something that you're good at. Try not to make it too high fat, it appears the are Carb eaters, so make something you would have made prior to this WOE.

Emily-D 09-03-2013 04:40 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

ArdMaine 09-03-2013 05:14 AM

Don't forget to tell us what you ended up Making :)

Emily-D 09-03-2013 01:14 PM

Now I'm thinking of Pumpkin & Sausage soup. It's a favorite at our house, but I know it probably sounds strange to a lot of other people.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone else has any.

emel 09-03-2013 01:41 PM

I'd probably make meatloaf with very little bread filler, or a roast. I might make a cheesy broccoli side dish to go with it. Or maybe pureed cauliflower and simply-cooked green beans.

pocahontas 09-03-2013 01:49 PM

I like Rachel Ray's mexican lasagna casserole. It's easy, not spicy and can be frozen. It is made with tortillas but only requires a few over the entire casserole and it will feed an army.

You could also make a big pot of Paula Deen's Italian Chicken and vegetable soup. It's low carb and I doubt people even know it. I make it all the time.

llisarray 09-03-2013 02:55 PM

I vote for Roast, unless that's a bit more than you wanted to spend...easy enough and they will probably be able to have left overs. Chicken spaghetti makes a ton and goes over pretty well also.

llisarray 09-03-2013 02:56 PM

I don't know what the climate is right now where you are, but Taco Soup and Corn Bread sounds delicious right now..you could leave out the beans and up the other ingredients.

llisarray 09-03-2013 03:07 PM

Ohhh, Potato Soup sounds good also...I think I must be hungry. I'll gonna stop now !

Aomiel 09-03-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16586902)
just remember that the high fat things we can eat low carbing are not good for people who eat lots of carbs. good luck.

:goodpost:

Since she's not low carbing, I'd be tempted just to go with the filling/comfort foods. A pan of lasagna or some type of casserole that would give (hopefully) at least one leftover meal.

Natalia 09-03-2013 05:10 PM

Chicken pot pie?
Pulled pork?

Emily-D 09-03-2013 08:07 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I'm going to try some of these for my family.

watcher513 09-04-2013 02:55 AM

Any number of different quiches for breakfast from Linda's Low Carb site.

flossie73 09-09-2013 04:51 PM

I've got a kale & sausage quiche cooling on the stovetop now for our supper tonight. I think including a recipe card with a reduced-carb meal might be a way of introducing this family to something that they may not even be aware of.

Might even include a lovely little low-carb dessert even...

rosethorns 09-09-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flossie73 (Post 16597126)
I've got a kale & sausage quiche cooling on the stovetop now for our supper tonight. I think including a recipe card with a reduced-carb meal might be a way of introducing this family to something that they may not even be aware of.

Might even include a lovely little low-carb dessert even...

O MY This sounds wonderful. Would you mind putting up the recipe?
Yum.

Dottie 09-09-2013 06:48 PM

My mother loves corn chowder, but corn might be too carby/sugary?
Maybe make pasole?