Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kami
Hi! I'm Kami, and I'm a Brownie Addict.

I'm Kami. I've been lowcarbing for a few years now, and I've been lurking on this forum for some time, but I've only now made an account here because I'm on a mission!

Chewy - genuinely, supremely, awesomely chewy - not-even-a-little-cakey - brownies.

I've tried so many lc brownie recipes over the years that it makes my head spin. The best of them were very dense and rich, but the texture was wrong even with the perfect flavor. Some were cakey, some were just disastrous.

I can't stand cakey brownies. I kind of like some of the dense ones that try to be fudgy, but fudgy isn't my goal, and they're usually like a thick stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth fudgy without a hint of chewiness, or they're a bit dry and oddly crumbly (usually due to coconut flour) and still not chewy, or, if you underbake slightly, then they're ooey gooey (not chewy...). None of these fit my bill.

I have other ways to get a chocolate fix, but nothing I have ever found has hit the chewy-brownie spot for me. I'm not just in it for the chocolate. I love texture, and it's ultimately supremely unsatisfying to make up yet another brownie recipe, only to find it's no better than the rest where texture is concerned.

I want honest-to-goodness chewy brownies, the texture you'd find if you bought a box mix in the store and didn't add that extra egg. Every recipe out there promises it's great, but the fan favorites all seem to be cakey, because it's the easiest to replicate.

This issue has been plaguing me for years, and I swear I will find my white whale one day...

/endrant

PS

I would have put this in the recipe help section, and I tried, but I'm not allowed to post there? I guess I'm too new.

Last edited by Kami; 09-02-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Kami is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
LOL! Welcome Kami! You are too funny! But seriously, I understand you here. I'm the one who eats the chewy outer edge of the brownies...and works my way inward until I meet the end of what my family leaves behind. (They cut from the middle--preferring the gooey part, leaving the chewy stuff for me. ) As you say, it's texture too. And I'm a purist. I'd rather skip the brownies than eat cakey ones. If I find "the recipe", I'll let you know. And please, anybody who DOES know how to create this chewy tidbit of heaven, please do share!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
My idea is this.....

Take your favorite brownie recipe and modify it using,
low carb ingredients. Swerve for the sweetener and try one of
the flour mixes that are on here. One is Better than Flour Mix,
and another good one is Jennifer's Bake Mix. Both recipes are on this
board. I made a brownie from BTF Mix and we liked it. Whether
it meets with your requirements only you would know.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
Have you made them using some flaxseed meal (not the golden flaxseed) as part of your substitution? I've tried making brownies a couple of times and the ones that used flax seemed to be the most moist and chewy-like.
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Right now, my favorite brownie recipe is the Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from All Day I Dream About Food. The brownie part is not cakey at all. You could just make the brownies without the peanut butter fudge.
These might be too "fudgy" for you, though. There is no flour of any kind in them.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
If you can tolerate tagatose, it acts much more like real sugar. It's great for making caramel. I haven't tried it with brownies, but it sweetens chocolate well. I think it might give you the chewiness you crave. Another ingredient that might help is polydextrose. I hesitate to mention it because many people can't tolerate it at all.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/196/135
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: September 2012/Whole30 start June 25 2014
Has Anyone tried using a mix of nut flours and glucomanan or whatever it's called flour? It seems like the gluc flour might give that chewy texture... Also, there used to be this product called Not/Sugar that gave things that sugar baked texture. I think it was a mix of veg gums.... Not sure.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Good luck with this endenver.
The closest I've come is Ameretta (totally mispelled) Almond butter brownies,
from all day I dream of food.

WELCOME!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here is one from Lauren. Her recipes are exceptional.I haven't made these but I'm going too. Take a look at them Yum.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uten-free.html
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi Kami! Welcome!

I second the suggestion frome Esther (rosethorns), Lauren's brownie recipe is delicious! I made them a couple of times now, and must say they are the best ones I've made so far in terms of coming close in flavour and texture to the non LC ones.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Kami,

If you ever do find a LC chewy brownie recipe like you describe, please post here! I love chewy brownies and this is the holy grail of LC bakers!

However, I don’t think the chewy texture we are looking for can be replicated without wheat flour because of the gluten. The two proteins in wheat flour — glutenin and gliadin — grip water, and make "springy stretchy, strong elastic sheets of gluten.” (see Shirley Corriher’s Bakewise or one of Peter Reinhart’s bread books for a more detailed, scientific explanation). Think of a bagel or sourdough bread with its crispy, chewy crust – it’s the gluten that creates the strong bonds or chewiness.

I miss that chewy texture! While I have made some decent LC breads, they are more spongy than chewy. I’ve settled for that because I value my health. But I’m still searching for the elusive chewy LC breads and treats.

If you find a truly chewy LC brownie you will be a hero!
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Here is the one I use...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...y-brownie.html

The origional thread; Yet another LC Brownie
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I feel like I've tried them all...coconut flour, flax, almond meal, even chia seeds. Nothing out there will make you forget about a boxed brownie mix. I think one of the secrets is you have to use a sugar alcohol that will mimic sugar like Xylitol. Splenda and stevia just won't do it. You need those SA's to help create the famed texture we all dream of.

The best one I've come across is an HCG P3 one that I found on YouTube. I made them tonight, and they are cooling on my counter right now. It's the main reason I bumped this thread. It has no flour, but uses almond butter (I subbed peanut butter because that's what I had). I used Xylitol and a little bit of EZ sweetz to increase the sweetness.

The batter is very thick and looks exactly like the real thing. If you taste some of the batter, it has the crunch of the real thing due to the grit of the Xylitol, which is a good thing. They look exactly like the real thing, very eye-catching. They are chocolatey, and sweet as long as you get the sweetener right. I would compare the texture to one of those brownies that you get in a TV dinner. Kind of chewy on top and around the edges, and a little more fluffy (but NOT cakelike) in the middle. It also reminds me a bit of "No Pudge" low fat boxed brownie mix if you are familiar with that. I don't know what they taste like at room temp or out of the fridge, but UNLIKE ALMOST ALL low carb baked goods, they taste good right out of the oven. No waiting a day for them to "magically" turn into something good like other recipes I've come across. Anyway that's my thoughts. Congrats if you made it to the end of my rambling.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote