Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckyduck
Why are the recipes on this site so complicated?

I have been baking alot of LC recipes off of Pinterest and most of them are very simple - almond flour, butter, eggs, sweetener, baking powder, salt. The recipes on this site seem WAY more complicated, with like 20 ingredients, many of which need to be special-ordered. Since I am such a lazy-butt (and a cheapskate), are all these extra ingredients really necessary? (and are they even healthy - some of these ingredients sound like a chemistry experiment). Thanks everyone (and I really don't mean to offend - you ladies are sweethearts :-)
luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
There are threads that focus on simple recipes, like 3-ingredients.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well... make some of each and see what you think.

most of the "old fashioned" low carb baking, by which I mean most of those simple almond meal recipes, are pretty iffy. dry, crumbly, not consistent, and generally disappointing. sure they are better than nothing, but not a LOT better than nothing.

the complex mixtures are normally developed over time to produce a reliable product that's much more like the high carb things.

different people have different priorities. some like throwing three ingredients together, 2 min in the microwave, and good to go. they love it even if it's sorta gloppy and all. others are willing to do the work to have a really "professional" outcome.

a lot of the time the difference is whether it's just for you for a snack or whether you want to serve it to other people too.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've done it both ways and find I prefer easier. Not too many specialty ingredients for this girl any more - I've spent a LOT of $$ on ingredients that got used one time and now just sit in my cupboard.

Things like the black bean cake, The Chicken Lady's carrot cake, Jen Eloff's recipes, and many others here, are simple and use every day ingredients. Some of the others are trying to really approximate a high-carb treat (like choux paste for cream puffs etc.) and need all those exotic ingredients to get the texture and taste as close as possible.

So yeah - it's a choice but you can do it either way with some really wonderful results!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Not at all. Stick with what works best for you.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
well... make some of each and see what you think.

most of the "old fashioned" low carb baking, by which I mean most of those simple almond meal recipes, are pretty iffy. dry, crumbly, not consistent, and generally disappointing. sure they are better than nothing, but not a LOT better than nothing.

the complex mixtures are normally developed over time to produce a reliable product that's much more like the high carb things.

different people have different priorities. some like throwing three ingredients together, 2 min in the microwave, and good to go. they love it even if it's sorta gloppy and all. others are willing to do the work to have a really "professional" outcome.

a lot of the time the difference is whether it's just for you for a snack or whether you want to serve it to other people too.

Agreed.

I also like to cook and bake. After many years low carb, I like to try to get LC subs as close to the high carb goodies as possible.

I like to eat and I like food, and playing with the unique ingredients is a fun thing to do. If you don't like to cook/bake, the simple recipes are "good enough".

There is always a newer and better recipe, as newer and better ingredients are found and experimented with by those on this site.

PS- My friends all think the stuff in my cupboards ARE part of a science experiment.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
I prefer simpler & easier recipes.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I use the simplest recipes all the time and I get by okay.

I have bought some science experiment ingredients and even tried some of the complicated recipes only to be dissappointed by all the cost, and time labor I had to put in for the end result, so I went back to the easy ones.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
So, so funny you brought this up. DH and I did hard core low carb back in 2002 to lose over 100 lbs each and I'm lighter now 11 years later......anyway, I just came back from a Disney trip and we went back to 'real' low carb and I'm looking through my cooking recipe and I thought, 'wow, do I have any Poly D - ok, check - do I have vital wheat gluten hmmmm.....what about glucomannon... nope" - I decided on cheesecake LOL.....
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Davian

Congratulations on your weight loss and your continuing
maintenance.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
Nothing more to say, I guess. Just chiming in to say I like to cook/bake. But I also like simple, common ingredients. Xanthan gum and xylitol are about as exotic as I like to get. While there are a gazillion recipes on this site that use things I've never heard of, there are just as many recipes that use basic low-carb staples. Thank heavens!
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss and your continuing
maintenance.
Thank YOU!

Just came back from two week Disney food debacle - I've been struggling with 145 to 148 for 1 1/2 yrs so post trip 150. IMMEDIATELY upon return went to Atkins - in just 1 week I'm already at 141!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian View Post
Thank YOU!

Just came back from two week Disney food debacle - I've been struggling with 145 to 148 for 1 1/2 yrs so post trip 150. IMMEDIATELY upon return went to Atkins - in just 1 week I'm already at 141!
Have you checked out JUDD?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
The ingredients I now use for baking are almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, glucomanan, pea protein powder and egg white powder. Most of them I buy in bulk so they last a long time.

I think you're talking about the recipes that use the fantastic flour mix because it does use some different ingredients but it makes such wonderful recipes that's why there's so many recipes using it.

If you only like using almond flour or nut flours, there a ton of recipes on here using that.

The chicken ladies almond fudge cake and carrot cake are amazing and only uses almond flour.

Carrot Cake
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html

Chocolate Cake
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html

Carolyn's recipe for chocolate chip cookie bars are fantastic also. They just use but flours too.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...okie-bars.html

If you're looking for specific types of recipes you can always ask a question on here and ask for help.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Have you checked out JUDD?
During that time, I tried JUDD, intermittent fasting, did the Daniel Fast for 4 months - just wasn't budging no matter what. I think eating my weight in Zebra domes and Bobotie then walking 5 to 8 miles a day carrying my 45 lb. son actually helped things and when I returned I went hard core low carb and dropped like a stone. I'm praying to keep going - ideally, I should be 132 to 135. Thanks for the thought though - everyone is SO helpful here
Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
To me, recipes that are "complicated" versus recipes that have a "long list of ingredients" are two very different things. For example, curries invariable have a "long list of 'odd-ball' ingredients and spices", but the flip-side is they are incredibly "easy and quick" to prepare. So I couldn't call those "complicated". But I love them so much I obtained those "odd-ball" spices. So I suppose I have different priorities and goals in cooking/baking.

The "chemistry experiment" ingredients, as Ravenrose said, are usually called for just in the BAKED GOODS, to achieve as close to high-carb results as we can yet still keep the carb count low. But without the action of gluten in flour, the actions and interactions of conventional ingredients doesn't happen. Baking low-carb is at best, more difficult as we are not baking with conventional ingredients that undergo predictable actions in the oven. Ingredients like oat fiber, glucomannan and other odd-ball ingredients are used just so that our "experiment" yields the results we want.

I can't tell you how many failed baked goods I've made in my 4 years of low-carbing .....so bad I just had to throw them out, wasting all those ingredients. So for me, learning how to use a few "chemistry ingredients" has been worthwhile and produces more consistent results that I actually WANT to eat rather than throw into the trash can.

As they say, "To each his own". What is too complicated or too much trouble for one person just isn't too complicated for another.........maybe even enjoyable for some of us cooking weirdos.

Last edited by buttoni; 09-03-2013 at 01:03 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I think that a lot of people cling to the sugar and white flour treats they still crave and have to use expensive chemistry-lab concoctions to replicate them. I find that these things are pretty disappointing and probably not real good for your health. Now I stick to almond meal, flax meal and some coconut flour and splenda and stevia and if they don't work then I don't bother. It's not like you need a pantry full of baked goods, anyway -- you're supposed to be eating meat and vegetables, right?
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I think people are suppose to eat what they want. I'm not sure what's considered chemistry lab concoctions but I guess if I'm clinging to old favorites its because they taste good and old habits die hard. At least my diabetes is under control and my test results are the best they've ever been. I think GMOs, prescriptions and pesticides are the chemical lab concoctions that people should really be worried about. Not to mention most meats in the US come from livestock raised on GMO feed, antibiotics and growth hormones. Vegetables are also GMO and full of pesticides. There seems to be chemical-lab concoctions in everything these days.

None of the products I use are chemicals, I think nut flour, coconut flour, oat fiber and egg white powder all are made from whole ingredients and to my knowledge none of them are chemically processed, although I could be wrong.

I look at it this way, I would much rather see people enjoying home baked lower carb baked goods rather than eating processed junk food.

By the way, Splenda & stevia are both chemically processed.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
As they say, "To each his own". What is too complicated or too much trouble for one person just isn't too complicated for another.........maybe even enjoyable for some of us cooking weirdos.
That's really true. I do happen to enjoy working with those oddball ingredients, such as in those wonderful dumplings, and the better than flour mix. I have always enjoyed baking, so it's really just an extension of my old HC days.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I think people are suppose to eat what they want. I'm not sure what's considered chemistry lab concoctions but I guess if I'm clinging to old favorites its because they taste good and old habits die hard. At least my diabetes is under control and my test results are the best they've ever been. I think GMOs, prescriptions and pesticides are the chemical lab concoctions that people should really be worried about. Not to mention most meats in the US come from livestock raised on GMO feed, antibiotics and growth hormones. Vegetables are also GMO and full of pesticides. There seems to be chemical-lab concoctions in everything these days.

None of the products I use are chemicals, I think nut flour, coconut flour, oat fiber and egg white powder all are made from whole ingredients and to my knowledge none of them are chemically processed, although I could be wrong.

I look at it this way, I would much rather see people enjoying home baked lower carb baked goods rather than eating processed junk food.

I agree with Ginaaa, and also include more "concoctions" if they fit what I want in my lifestyle. I use glucomannon, that is a centuries old food starch made from root vegetable. I use oat fiber, not much different from wheat fiber or psyllium husk fiber. Just because it's expensive or you don't know how to use it doesn't make it bad or a chemical concoction. Many ingredients are just different varieties of high carb food. Resistant starch is naturally in potatoes, beans and other grains, so what if we remove it to make something else with it. People use rice starch to make mochi, and wheat gluten to make seitan, but since that is common it's not considered a chemical concoction.

Dr. Atkins said that people could add back beans and grains and such so , we should be eating meat and vegetables but we don't have to eat only that for the rest of our lives if we reach our goals and want to add back. And if we can add back a food that is similar to the high carb version without the high carb bad effects then why not.

Some of the worst foods for weight gain are very simple in ingredients. I can make Pasta with just flour, water and egg. Pudding is just corn starch, sugar and flavors.

anyway, The recipes I like are not necessarily based on how complicated or simple they are but how good they taste and if the finished product is worth the effort. The cost of ingredients is incidental because I like to play around, just like I have to buy supplies to try a new craft but won't know till I try it whether I will continue the craft. Low Carb Recipes are a food craft to me.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-04-2013 at 02:24 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Low Carb Recipes are a food craft to me.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, there ya go DrJLo. A craft......a whole new way of thinking about it.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My mother has a whole room full of scraps for quilting.
My Aunt has a whole room devoted to scrapbooking and stamping.

I have several cupboards and part of my freezer full of LC baking ingredients.

What's the difference? This is my craft project.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL So true; so true. I must support my position this way next time my husband says to me "That new flour cost HOW much a bag?" Really he doesn't hassle me much about my freezer full of ingredients, especially when I point out how long each bag lasts me and then point out how much he spends on HIS rather expensive hobby. And we dont' get to eat his; we do get to eat tasty things I make with mine. That always changes his perspective.

Last edited by buttoni; 09-07-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

None of the products I use are chemicals, I think nut flour, coconut flour, oat fiber and egg white powder all are made from whole ingredients and to my knowledge none of them are chemically processed, although I could be wrong

I want to say GREAT POST GINA. I'm allergic to alot of these foods.

You guys are too funny

I'm on this new kick of coconut cream because it's dairy free.

I make simple and complicated.Every thing is homemade.

Last edited by rosethorns; 09-07-2013 at 07:20 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
My wife "contributes" to my craft projects...lol ...and yeah, I'm the guy who buys her power tools for Christmas. (my bad)

I always have to borrow her tools cuz she never uses them anyway. hehe
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Have you tried LindaSue's recipes...a lot originally came from this site?
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I like simple recipes, so a lot of mine typically kept to as few ingredients as possible. I see the coolness factor in some of the more complex recipes, though. Some of the cheesecakes I've developed have three steps (crust + filling + topping) and those will, then, require more ingredients. But the cauliflower pizza crust is like 4 ingredients (including spices), and the oopsie rolls are just three ingredients. I like simple things...there's less to screw up.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I like simple recipes, so a lot of mine typically kept to as few ingredients as possible. I see the coolness factor in some of the more complex recipes, though. Some of the cheesecakes I've developed have three steps (crust + filling + topping) and those will, then, require more ingredients. But the cauliflower pizza crust is like 4 ingredients (including spices), and the oopsie rolls are just three ingredients. I like simple things...there's less to screw up.
This! I like stuff that I know I can find and will use. However, I love reading some of the awesome and creative stuff the chefs here come up with. It amazes me!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Some people like Minecraft.

Others like Warcraft.

I like Foodcraft!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote