Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Lots of eggs

So I love eggs and eat lots of them. But I find myself with an overabundance of eggs even for me. I eat mainly farm eggs that is given to me by a friend in town. So she gave me 5 doxen right before I went on vacation for a week and then gave me 5 more soon after I got back. I'm just worried they will go bad before I can eat them. I tried freezing whipped up eggs at one time and using for scrambled eggs but I didn't like them. Anyone have any ideas on how to extrend their life?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Eggs will keep a lot longer if they are boiled, if you like boiled eggs amd if you leave them in the shells until you are ready to eat them.

You can freeze them to use in baking later on.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-25-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Fresh farm eggs will stay edible in the frig for up to 6 months according to an article I read in Mother Earth News though I've never kept any that long myself.

I raise chickens and stock pile eggs in a spare frig in the garage. My 4 kids who are all grown with families of their own come by once a month to get a box of eggs. So the eggs that they take home and use over a months time range in age from newly laid to one month old. So I know from personal experience that eggs kept in the frig for two months are quite fresh and tasty.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Do you eat revolution rolls, or oopsies ? Make them and freeze.

Meringue cookies freeze wonderfully.

I have to check my mother earth news, there was something in there.

Gwen am I imaging this or was there something in the mother earth news about finging out if they are still fresh, using a bowl of water?

Last edited by rosethorns; 08-25-2013 at 01:19 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes, that's an old test. Eggs lose moisture over time, so new eggs will be denser, and really old eggs lighter. Dunk them, and really old eggs will float, new eggs will lay flat on the bottom, and the rest in between.

I have only once seen a bad egg. It takes a looooooong time for an egg to go bad.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Do you eat revolution rolls, or oopsies ? Make them and freeze.

Meringue cookies freeze wonderfully.

I have to check my mother earth news, there was something in there.

Gwen am I imaging this or was there something in the mother earth news about finging out if they are still fresh, using a bowl of water?
This is the article that was in Mother Earth News. It's pretty long but a very interesting read. It gives several methods of preserving fresh eggs and the easiest but not the most cost effective was to just keep them in the frig.

How To Store Fresh Eggs
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Do quiches freeze ok?
Or maybe bacon and egg muffins? Or sausage and egg muffins?
Perhaps if the eggs were cooked in something instead of frozen straight up it might help disguise a less than premium texture

I am also very liberal with things like fauxtatoes salad. Use 1/2 dozen per batch.
But I think the quiche would be good.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Yes, that's an old test. Eggs lose moisture over time, so new eggs will be denser, and really old eggs lighter. Dunk them, and really old eggs will float, new eggs will lay flat on the bottom, and the rest in between.

I have only once seen a bad egg. It takes a looooooong time for an egg to go bad.
That is very true, I clean my chicken house out about every six months and there is always an egg or two that got laid on the floor and overlooked. I have no way of knowing how old they are but they could potentially be as old as six months. I throw them out in the woods when I find them, I figure the wild animals will eat them. But I've accidentally broken a couple of them while raking out the old hay and I've never found one that actually stunk.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks Ntombi I knew there was.

Gwen Thanks for the article. I will check it out.LOL I have many many years of mother earth news.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
quiche-or a sausage-cheese whatever equivalent. That will freeze well, especially if it is vacuum sealed. Egg custard, too.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

We get eggs from a co-worker of my husband and I always float the eggs before I break open a new dozen...just to make sure. Even when they've been in my fridge for 2 weeks they don't float up even a tiny bit...which tells you how old the ones in the store must be because they all seem to do it after a week or so.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Really? I get store bought eggs, and it takes at least a month for them to float even somewhat, and I've only ever seen one all the way at the top of the water. That egg was months and months old.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Fresh farm eggs will stay edible in the frig for up to 6 months according to an article I read in Mother Earth News though I've never kept any that long myself.

I raise chickens and stock pile eggs in a spare frig in the garage. My 4 kids who are all grown with families of their own come by once a month to get a box of eggs. So the eggs that they take home and use over a months time range in age from newly laid to one month old. So I know from personal experience that eggs kept in the frig for two months are quite fresh and tasty.
Gosh, I did not know that. A while back I had almost a dozen eggs that looked moldy inside. It had black stuff come out with the egg and the inside of the shell was moldy. I don't know how long they were in there but I doubt it was 6 months. That's why I was worried.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Do quiches freeze ok?
Or maybe bacon and egg muffins? Or sausage and egg muffins?
Perhaps if the eggs were cooked in something instead of frozen straight up it might help disguise a less than premium texture

I am also very liberal with things like fauxtatoes salad. Use 1/2 dozen per batch.
But I think the quiche would be good.
I've never tried frrezing Quiches. I'll have to do that. Oh, and fauxtatoes salad. I haven't made that in a while. I love lots of eggs in there. Thanks for good ideas.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
Gosh, I did not know that. A while back I had almost a dozen eggs that looked moldy inside. It had black stuff come out with the egg and the inside of the shell was moldy. I don't know how long they were in there but I doubt it was 6 months. That's why I was worried.
I've never seen mold inside an egg before. The only thing I can think is that the shells on those eggs got cracked and that allowed micro-organisms such as mold spores to get inside the shell.

You should always discard any eggs that have cracked shells. A cracked shell can allow all sorts of little nasties to get inside the eggs and grow bad things. It's best to inspect each egg very carefully. Even a hairline crack can allow germs to get inside and grow bad stuff.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 08-26-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I raised chickens (free range) for several years and I never really had a stinky egg either.

Also, regarding eating raw eggs, I have read (or heard somewhere) that salmonella is carried in the ovary of the chicken and that hens are either hatched carrying salmonella or not and it is based somewhat on their living conditions. Point being, if you know your eggs and chickens, you are safe eating raw eggs from them. Anyone else heard this?
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. We are all guilty of tasting raw cake and cookie batter that has raw eggs in it. The chances of getting an egg with salmonella is pretty remote but it does happen. So if the recipe is going to be served to a pregnant woman, a very old person, a very young person, or someone with a auto immune disease you need to make sure if it has eggs in it that it's well cooked no matter where the egg come from.

I like my poached eggs and my scrambled eggs very loose and my fried eggs sunny side up which is a no no if you are cooking to kill salmonella. But I wouldn't feed them that way to someone else.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Does any one over 50 remember when there was NO expiration dates put on eggs? As a young wife in the 80s, no one told me I had to toss them...ever. I bet I ate lots if 4-5 month old eggs and have yet to ever ever get a stinky egg.

That being said, just do the water float test..that will show you. They should sink or stand up on end is ok..but floaters get tossed. Again GOD KNOWS how many floaters I fed my family as an in educated 20yr old mommy!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
See it pays to read everything first...duh on the floaters already described lol
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
My best friend knows someone who used to deliver eggs to the grocery stores. He said that when they are delivered, they're usually already 45 days old, THEN they're dated either right before being delivered or by the store (I forget which).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote