Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Need Some Help Choosing a Costco Coconut Oil (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/810438-need-some-help-choosing-costco-coconut-oil.html)

evas 08-20-2013 04:32 PM

Need Some Help Choosing a Costco Coconut Oil

I have been buying Trader Joe's coconut oil and I really like that it has a mild coconut flavor because I like that flavor in my coffee (which is primarily what I use it for).

The trouble is, I'm going through it really fast! I decided to just go to Costco and buy it but I'm not sure what brand to buy. I've heard that some brands have a coconut flavor and some don't. Has anyone here tried multiple kinds from Costco that can recommend one with a coconut flavor similar to TJ's?

Gabby1 08-20-2013 04:38 PM

I have only ever seen one brand at Costco- I can't remember the name though. Never tried it. My point being, I don't know that you will have a choice to make. Sometimes that's a good thing!

Soobee 08-20-2013 06:29 PM

I bought a big jar at Costco. I can't remember the brand. I'm not at home now, so I can't check, but it's very coconutty.

Ntombi 08-20-2013 06:33 PM

If it's virgin coconut oil, it will have a coconut flavor. Only the expeller pressed kind is flavorless.

makrida 08-20-2013 07:00 PM

I think Costco only has one kind...its a big jar for $15.99 ?

marieze 08-20-2013 10:20 PM

In the last year I've started using coconut oil in my coffee everyday. I've pretty much tried every kind and then some and ultimately decided that Nutiva was my favorite. I was ordering it online but they now sell it at Costco. As a matter of fact, I bought some there today!!!! YUM!!!! :yummy:

evas 08-20-2013 10:33 PM

Thanks All! You're right, maybe I'm jumping the gun :D I thought I had seen a couple of different brands mentioned that people had gotten from Costco but I actually haven't been yet so I don't know if they have more than one! I'll be happy if the one they carry is Nutiva, I'd love to try it

watcher513 08-21-2013 12:30 AM

At my Costco the 78 oz. tub of Nutiva is $21.xx.

Ntombi 08-21-2013 12:41 AM

I like Nutiva okay, but I don't really have a favorite. Lately, I just like the kinds that come in jars that don't leak! I've had trouble with the last two I bought, both of which happened to be Nutiva. Never been an issue before, so I think I'm going back to anything but.

Charski 08-21-2013 07:36 AM

Different Costcos may carry different brands, but "my" Costco also only has one - Nutiva. I have a big jug of it from there but haven't opened it yet.

My personal fave is the expeller-pressed organic coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, because it does NOT taste/smell of coconuts - if you like that flavor in your coffee though, you could get their virgin coconut oil. It's lovely stuff. Often they have a BOGO deal or a free shipping or other offers, so it pays to check around before ordering from them - search for coupon codes online, or just cruise their website to see what's on special.

If you have Whole Foods, they have a couple different brands, one of them I saw was the Nutiva, so maybe try a small jar before buying a great big one at Costco! :)

watcher513 08-23-2013 12:43 AM

Yep Charski, TT's expeller pressed was the gallon I bought on a good sale. I use it for cooking and don't like coconut flavor in egg dishes. I just put some in 3 old TT quart jars from other orders and may get one of those stainless containers with a lid Peggy showed on another thread for the rest.

Ntombi 08-23-2013 01:00 AM

All expeller pressed coconut oil is tasteless. It's the extra virgin type that has the taste and smell.

watcher513 08-23-2013 01:09 AM

Correctimundo Ntombi, and that's why I buy it.

gordita 08-23-2013 09:47 AM

Yup on the Costco one, and that's what I purchase. I have a small stockpile in case they stop selling it.

penguinpower 08-23-2013 12:14 PM

Our Costco carries only one, "Carrington" - it's extra-virgin and does taste coconutty, but I only use it in BP coffee, Indian/Thai recipes and for baking so it's great for me. It's about $15 for a 3#+ jar.

erinmarie 08-26-2013 01:57 PM

super jealous! the only coconut oil ive been.able to find is quite lovely evco but very expensive. an itty bitty 473 ml jar is about 9 bucks and i use it for everything so i go through about a jar a week at least. if i could find it in bulk id be in heaven.our sams club doesnt carry it and costco is hours away with no guarantee....

watcher513 08-27-2013 04:57 PM

erinmarie, if you ever get the chance go to the Costco, call them first and see if they carry the Nutiva. It's well worth the phone call.

Mistizoom 08-28-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinpower (Post 16571729)
Our Costco carries only one, "Carrington" - it's extra-virgin and does taste coconutty, but I only use it in BP coffee, Indian/Thai recipes and for baking so it's great for me. It's about $15 for a 3#+ jar.

My Costco has the Carrington Farms as well, not Nutiva. It has the same stats as Nutiva (organic, extra-virgin, etc.) and it seems very similar to me. I like both brands equally.

Brendajm 09-05-2013 09:10 AM

I love the carrington in my coffee. I don't think it is too coconutty

evas 09-05-2013 04:16 PM

Well, after doing some pricing I've found that the coconut oil I get from Trader Joe's is cheaper than Costco's. I'll just stick with TJ's and have to buy it often since it only comes in a small jar. Luckily there are Trader Joe's around ever corner here in Southern CA so getting it isn't a problem. Thanks anyway for the input!

speedycat 09-05-2013 08:39 PM

I also have the Carrington Farms coconut oil . It has a great taste if you love the taste of coconut :-) . It's the only one I've seen in FL Costco ... I have had Nutiva before it is also good but I need the big cheaper one I use a lot of coconut oil .I would be broke lol

watcher513 09-06-2013 03:24 AM

Got an email from Costco re their organics, Nutiva being one of many items. Northern Calif., Bay Area and Northern NV all have the Nutiva 6.50 off through the end of the month. wow. Possibly other areas are doing that also, don't know.