Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Mexican Pork Patties

This is not a particularly attractive dish, but hubby really liked these (I tasted, too and reacted the same way ). This one's a keeper for us. My husband isn’t really 100% low-carbing and still occasionally eats rice. I made him some brown rice earlier this week and there was about 1¼ c. leftover. With a little sauteed poblano pepper, chopped red bell pepper, diced tomato, chopped onion, garlic and a whisper of cumin powder, I turned it into a serving of Mexican fried rice he really enjoyed with these pork patties! I love when I can reinvent leftovers successfully, as he doesn’t like leftovers very much.

My plan was to serve him the alongside a tasty new little meat pattie I created tonight. He gave this dinner a 2 thumbs up! The rice reminded him of the wonderful rice with pork cubes in it we used to have at Ninfa’s original restaurant on Navigation Blvd. in Houston many years ago. These came out VERY good indeed and I’ll definitely be making them again! I don’t think they would have been as good made with any other meat. These are not suitable until Atkins Phase 2 as there are nuts in the slice of bread. If still on Induction, you could sub in 1 c. crushed pork rinds for the bread slice and still try these (recalculate net carbs if you do that, however). This would be suitable for Primal diners but due to ingredients in the bread, would only be suitable for Paleo if the bread was omitted.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. lean ground pork
1 slice your favorite low-carb bread (I used my GF focaccia)
1 egg
¼ c. red bell pepper, chopped
2 oz. onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
Pinch each ground cumin, smoky chipotle chile powder, salt and garlic powder
1/3 c. cilantro, chopped
½ c. Rotel tomatoes and green chiles, solids only

DIRECTIONS: Break up the meat into a large bowl. Add the crumbled bread slice, egg, spices, cilantro and Rotel tomatoes. Set aside. In a very large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil and heat on high. Saute the onion and red bell pepper until tender. Add those veggies to the meat and work it all together either with a fork or your hands like you do meatloaf. Form into 6 equal patties and saute right in the pan you sauteed the onion/pepper in. Brown and cok until no longer giving off pink juices, or about 110 minutes or so on each side. Serve with you favorite Mexican side dishes or a nice guacamole salad.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 patties, each contains:

265 calories
21 g fat
2.4 g darbs, .66 g fiber, 1.84 g NET CARBS
15.8 g protein
202 mg sodium
309 mg potassium
23% RDA Vitamin B6, 31% B12, 18.5% C, 24% niacin, 22% phosphorous, 21% riboflavin, 41% selenium, 52% thiamin and 21% zinc
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I wanted everybody else to see these. Make homemade pork sausage alot.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
They were darn good. Hubby really liked them a lot. The pork, being milder than beef, allowed the cilantro, spices and Rotel to really come through but not too strongly. The bit of LC bread smoothed them out like it does a meatloaf. I'll be doing them again, for sure!

Last edited by buttoni; 08-17-2013 at 04:35 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote