Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Poly Dextrose

There is not a lot of people using this anymore, is there a reason?
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
It bothers some people. Gas and intestinal issues.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Mine turned into a rock, so I just haven't dealt with it yet.
I don't do much baking or experimenting in the summer.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I use it in small amounts . Your butterfinger recipe is great to use it in. I use it in other recipes too.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yes - for me, the reason is polydextrose in even the SMALLEST amounts renders me unfit for human companionship. And the cats are none too happy either!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I see some of you guys experience the same thing I do when I eat store bought package candy
Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I used to use poly-d a lot when Kevinpa was around--he found various ways to use it in sweet things. In the food industry, they use it in sugar-free ice cream to replicate some of the properties of sugar and keep the ice cream scoopable. I don't have problems with it, but my stash is literally a rock since I haven't used it in so long.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't purchase it for a while then recently I did through netrition.com and I am finding all my baked good are so much better with it.
I don't have the gaseous effects so I am counting myself lucky
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I didn't purchase it for a while then recently I did through netrition.com and I am finding all my baked good are so much better with it.
I don't have the gaseous effects so I am counting myself lucky
How do you use it in your baked goods? Do you have any recipes you could share?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I do have some recipes I can share but even better there are many posts right on this sight that I got my recipes from. You can do a search.. Here is one for example
Polydextrose Recipes
Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I love the stuff but when I'm posting recipes to share I never share the PolyD recipes because of the stomach issues it causes for some people. But since you asked this is my favorite recipe. It tastes better than the high carb stuff I used to make. It's really stable and lasts in the frig for more than a week. I usually keep a container of it in the frig to keep my sweet tooth from causing me problems. LOL

BTW, I've never had any digestive issues with it. I guess it just depends on the individual and what their system can handle.

Chocolate Mousse (BettyR)

Step #1
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee (you could sub instant)
1/4 cup water
1 cup PolyD
2-1/2 teaspoons Trish's liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons SteviaPlus
1/4 cup Erythritol
4 ounces Hershey's unsweetened baking chocolate

In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stirring occasionally, cool mixture enough that it won't scramble your eggs.

Step #2
3eggs

Place 3 eggs in a blender and turn blender on. While blender is running pour chocolate mixture into blender and blend well. Pour into a medium size bowl; cover with plastic wrap and chill.

Step #3
2 cups heavy cream

Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then fold the lightened chocolate mixture into the remainder of the whipped cream. Place in a covered container or individual dessert dishes. Cover and chill overnight before serving.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I love it, and use it. I add it to baked goods as well... takes care of the missing sugar bulk/properties.

Long ago, I made a fabulous soft caramel chew with it... unfortunately, I don't know that I wrote it down (or at least can't find it), and haven't had the time to try to recreate it.

I can tolerate polyd much better than erythritol, sorbitol and xylitol, actually.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Did you know there is a 10 page sticky on polydextrose?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
I recently brought 6 bags of polyD from netrition, and im yet to use it. I have recently discovered that my tummy is one of those ones which cant handle any sweetener, which makes me upset as i love me sweet things - but erythitol, xylitol, inulin, polyD, splenda all make me gassy - iv just recently brought a conching machine to make chocolate, and have made chocolate using LC milk powder an various sweeteners, and today, as i write this, im hunched in a ball with pains similar to labor pains because iv over-indulged on the sweeteners... but unfortunately it just tastes sooo good lol.
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Here is an old thread with some good info on polyd..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ydextrose.html

Last edited by drjlocarb; 08-17-2013 at 07:51 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl0nd3y View Post
I recently brought 6 bags of polyD from netrition, and im yet to use it. I have recently discovered that my tummy is one of those ones which cant handle any sweetener, which makes me upset as i love me sweet things - but erythitol, xylitol, inulin, polyD, splenda all make me gassy - iv just recently brought a conching machine to make chocolate, and have made chocolate using LC milk powder an various sweeteners, and today, as i write this, im hunched in a ball with pains similar to labor pains because iv over-indulged on the sweeteners... but unfortunately it just tastes sooo good lol.
WOW!!! As a fellow sweetaholic you have my deepest sympathies.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
WOW!!! As a fellow sweetaholic you have my deepest sympathies.
thanks chicken lady, it sure does make low carbing difficult, although im still trying to pin-point the cause of pain and bloat. I usually have a flat stomach, but i recently recieved my order of polydextrose, swerve sweetener and 1kg of konjac flour so iv been baking up a storm, i made nut brittle with the polydetrose and it doesnt appear to be the polyd causing the bloat, as it wasnt that bad until i had some of my low carb chocolate, and gluc muffins i seem to have exploded in the midsection, its very uncomfy and im hoping it will go away.... but I love my gluc flour, and love my sweeteners, im hoping my body will learn to accept

heres my belly today - not as swollen as yesterday, but as you can see, still fairly swollen for someone whos tummy is usually flat. i can also feel large lumps in there which may suggest i have overdone it on the gluc? or is this normal for everyone when it comes to sweeteners? has anyone else ever experienced this? even at 20 weeks pregnant my belly was smaller than this LOL

bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Bl0nd35, You may have a problem with fiber. You should make an appointment with your doctor.
Love the belly button ring
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
thanks chicken lady, it sure does make low carbing difficult, although im still trying to pin-point the cause of pain and bloat. I usually have a flat stomach, but i recently recieved my order of polydextrose, swerve sweetener and 1kg of konjac flour so iv been baking up a storm, i made nut brittle with the polydetrose and it doesnt appear to be the polyd causing the bloat, as it wasnt that bad until i had some of my low carb chocolate, and gluc muffins i seem to have exploded in the midsection, its very uncomfy and im hoping it will go away.... but I love my gluc flour, and love my sweeteners, im hoping my body will learn to accept

heres my belly today - not as swollen as yesterday, but as you can see, still fairly swollen for someone whos tummy is usually flat. i can also feel large lumps in there which may suggest i have overdone it on the gluc? or is this normal for everyone when it comes to sweeteners? has anyone else ever experienced this? even at 20 weeks pregnant my belly was smaller than this LOL

I'm not sure about the poly d but Konjac ( gluc ) takes a little time for your body to become ok with it. It took 2 months for me , a little everyday.

Hope that helps.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Large lumps sounds like you're not emptying your bowls, which can lead to some major problems. I think it would be a good idea to have a talk about that with your doctor.

My sister-in-law had some of the same symptoms and ended up in emergency surgery when her bowls became constricted. It all could have been avoided if she had gone to see her doctor when she first started having problems. Even if it's nothing but gas you haven't passed yet it's better to be safe than sorry.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote