Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS LC/GF (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/809809-best-buttermilk-biscuits-lc-gf.html)

Barbo 08-10-2013 03:47 PM

BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS LC/GF

I posted this here because BTF thread is so daunting.
Diana Foot gave the recipe for biscuits and I tweaked a bit.
We really love these and as my DH said, "please have these everyday"
I would do if I had the calorie and carb. count.

BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Better Than Flour Mix by Quizoid

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan
2 large Biscuits

Preheated oven 425 degrees. Grease two porcelain ramekins
3 1/2 " inside by 2" high. or any baking dish you have.

1/2 cup of BTF
2 tbs. grated cheddar cheese
Pinch of soda
Pinch of salt
Buttermilk to mix until you have a soft biscuit dough.
Divide into ramekins and bake for about 15 minutes or until
you have a nice golden top. I brush on lots of melted butter (ghee)
We have never had a LC/GF biscuit that tastes like the real thing in years.:jumpjoy:

lterry913 08-10-2013 04:29 PM

This sounds delish...will have to try.

Natalia 08-10-2013 08:31 PM

These sound delicious!

I don't think glucomanan is available locally.
I was wondering if psyllium (or anything else) might be an acceptable substitute?

sherrymyra 08-10-2013 10:29 PM

Might must have to make this tomorrow. A biscuit sounds divine.

Natalia 08-10-2013 10:38 PM

You guys are baaaad influences. I just spent $101 on glucomanan, oat fibre, golden flax, lupin flour, coconut flour, and other "necessities"!!!

dianafoot 08-11-2013 05:49 AM

I experimented with these biscuits so many ways. I do love this version with the buttermilk and cheese, but I also love the one I did with HWC and a pinch of baking soda.

Just take 1/4 c BTF mix and add a tiny pinch of baking soda and salt and then HWC until the dough is light and comes together. I put this in a metal cylinder to bake (tuna can with the bottom cut out will do) and bake until nice and golden. Makes one large biscuit. Think I'll have one this morning!

rosethorns 08-11-2013 08:21 AM

Barbo & Diana they sound wonderful. I wish I wish.

jigglenomore 08-11-2013 12:49 PM

Esther, I feel so bad for you that you can't have so many lowcarb substitutes when baking/cooking! Hope you've found some things that do work and are still tasty for you!?

Barbo 08-11-2013 02:42 PM

So sorry Esther

Can't you have the coconut flour or oat fiber?

sherrymyra 08-11-2013 02:56 PM

I finally got to making the BTF mixture and made 2 biscuits. They are really good. I made the 12 times mixture so now I can try something else.

TBipp 08-11-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherrymyra (Post 16555321)
I finally got to making the BTF mixture and made 2 biscuits. They are really good. I made the 12 times mixture so now I can try something else.

:jumpjoy: The 12 times is the best way to go!

watcher513 08-11-2013 04:59 PM

From post #52 in the Big Batch thread, Buttoni's calculations:

1/4 c. Ouiz's Flour Mix = 75 calories, 2.56 g fat, 13.6 g fiber, 16.8 g carbs, 3.2 NC, 6.4 g protein

Hope this helps folks using just 1/4 c. mix per recipe. Don't forget to add in whatever flavorings you're adding.

dianafoot 08-12-2013 06:42 PM

Thanks, Terry! It is so cumbersome to wade through all of the posts in order to find one thing like carb counts. It will be easy to add in the carbs from buttermilk or HWC and from the cheese if used. 1/4 cup mix will make a very large biscuit and I usually cut that into three horizontal slices and eat two, saving the third slice for the next day.

majomor 08-22-2013 04:29 PM

Low Carb biscuits help with dryness

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16554389)
I posted this here because BTF thread is so daunting.
Diana Foot gave the recipe for biscuits and I tweaked a bit.
We really love these and as my DH said, "please have these everyday"
I would do if I had the calorie and carb. count.

BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Better Than Flour Mix by Quizoid

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan
2 large Biscuits

Preheated oven 425 degrees. Grease two porcelain ramekins
3 1/2 " inside by 2" high. or any baking dish you have.

1/2 cup of BTF
2 tbs. grated cheddar cheese
Pinch of soda
Pinch of salt
Buttermilk to mix until you have a soft biscuit dough.
Divide into ramekins and bake for about 15 minutes or until
you have a nice golden top. I brush on lots of melted butter (ghee)
We have never had a LC/GF biscuit that tastes like the real thing in years.:jumpjoy:

Hi Barbo,
Please help....
I made these today and they came out very dry.
I am canadian and not used to making biscuits other than baking powder biscuits.
I mixed the buttermilk in and I only added a tablespoon as the dough was the consistency of biscuit dough.
I may be wrong about the dough consistency.
Is the dough consistaency supposed to be stiff or runny to the point of dropping it on a baking sheet?
Mine was like a stiff cookie dough .....so I stopped adding in more butter milk.
I made it into 9 biscuits in a mini muffin pan as I needed them as munchies for a tea I was going to.
I brushed them with ghee before I put them in the oven and only baked them for like 5 minutes as they started to get golden on the top.
All I can say is that maybe I did not add enough buttermilk?
Thanks fo rthe help.
Jo-Anne
canada

rosethorns 08-22-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16555312)
Can't you have the coconut flour or oat fiber?

I can't eat oat fiber and whey ( dairy ) protein powder. I work many things out. Barbo I love to look at your recipes and I'm learning how to change things up. :hyst:I've to write it down while I'm doing it or I forget.
Thanks.

Soobee 08-23-2013 04:44 AM

Majomor, it sounds as if you needed more liquid. I think the biscuit batter with BTF has to be wetter than batter made with regular flour.

pocahontas 08-23-2013 10:39 AM

I have sausage in the freezer for sausage gravy. I am thinking biscuits and gravy for breakfast this weekend! :up:

Mistizoom 08-25-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16571566)
I have sausage in the freezer for sausage gravy. I am thinking biscuits and gravy for breakfast this weekend! :up:

That's what I made this morning! With these biscuits! DH has been craving biscuits and gravy and it really hit the spot.

sherrymyra 08-25-2013 07:38 PM

That does sound good. These bisquits are so good.

Ginaaaaaa 08-28-2013 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally made these and they are really good. They have a real flour taste just like regular biscuits. I made them into small drop biscuits in my muffin pan and got 12 using a cup of flour mix. I used about a cup of buttermilk.

They went well toasted with my egg omelet and bacon.

Soobee 08-28-2013 10:20 AM

Gina, what kind of cheese did you use?

Ginaaaaaa 08-28-2013 12:14 PM

I think it was cheddar jack, I can check when I get home.

majomor 08-28-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16578615)
Finally made these and they are really good. They have a real flour taste just like regular biscuits. I made them into small drop biscuits in my muffin pan and got 12 using a cup of flour mix. I used about a cup of buttermilk.

They went well toasted with my egg omelet and bacon.

Well Gina, now I see why mine were so dry, as from your calculations , it looks like I needed 1/2 cup buttermilk, and you got 12 biscuits wow!!!

So I will try them again.
Thanks so much for trying them out and posting the results.
Jo

Bluqq 08-28-2013 12:59 PM

Interesting

Barbo 08-28-2013 02:05 PM

You needed more buttermilk

When I made the recipe for the first time, I mentioned that I had
one cup of the milk which I used until I thought the dough was right.
The dough is not runny but just about a little more than a batter.
It's hard to describe since you have not been a biscuit maker. If anyone
can help please do so. It's like pie crust, the more you make it the
more you understand it.

Ginaaaaaa 08-28-2013 04:30 PM

Soobee, it was cheddar jack that I used.

Jo, I did get 12 biscuits but they were small. I'm going to make them bigger next time I make them.

Barbo, I'm not sure how to explain it other than it was a drop biscuit consistency. I would say that it looks like cookie dough. It holds its shape so they could be rolled and cut out on a floured surface.

They are fantastic and I can't wait to make some more, I'm going to try rolling them out.

watcher513 08-28-2013 05:15 PM

Has anyone tried this in a toaster oven? Less heat output than the big oven.

froggyx6 08-29-2013 03:15 PM

dianafoot 09-02-2013 07:33 AM

I use my toaster oven and they come out great. I also bake them in a ring (used for cutting out cookies or biscuits) and that way they get nice and golden on the bottom as well as the top and they rise up instead of spreading out.

The texture of the dough is very soft, so I keep adding buttermilk or cream until it just holds together. Not as stiff as cookie dough, but thicker than very thick pancake batter. I find that 1/4 cup BTF mix makes a very large high-rise biscuit, or even one big one and one small one.

TBipp 09-02-2013 07:49 AM

It has been my experience that you will need at least as much liquid as there is BTF Mix. I also add 1 tsp baking powder per 1 cup mix which is easy to recalculate if I cut back To make a smaller amount. I sometimes use my toaster oven and I usually use Monterrey Jack cheese.