Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Grandma's Chicken (aka Poppy Seed Chicken) Recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/809587-grandmas-chicken-aka-poppy-seed-chicken-recipe.html)

TheSouthernPrincess 08-06-2013 02:25 PM

Grandma's Chicken (aka Poppy Seed Chicken) Recipe

This is so tasty! :yummy: This is a recipe that has been in my family forever! It is normally made with a crushed package of Ritz crackers and a stick of butter, but since those are a no no, I used Pork Rinds and Parmesan Cheese with 1/2 a stick of butter since pork rinds are already greasy. WOW!! It tasted just like the high carb version!:eek: I will post a picture when I make it again tomorrow :)

Grandma's Chicken (AKA Poppy Seed Chicken)
1 boiled chicken (deboned and shredded)
1 can cream of chicken
16 oz sour cream
equal parts ground Pork Rinds and Parmesan Cheese (about a cup total)
1/2 a stick of melted butter
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 350
Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper (go easy because the pork rinds and parm cheese are pretty salty)
Layer shredded chicken in a 9x13 casserole dish
Mix cream of chicken, sour cream, and poppy seeds together and spread on top of the chicken.
Mix pork rinds and parmesan cheese (be sure pork rinds are ground into a flour) and stir melted butter into pork rind mixture until evenly coated then sprinkle on top of sour cream mixture until fully covered.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes on the middle rack.

Serves 6

It's amazing, but the pork rind mixture tastes just like crumbled ritz crackers!!

Here are the nutrition facts as best as I could get them. I eyeball a lot, but this should be pretty accurate.

Nutrition Facts
6 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 387.6
Total Fat 33.7 g
-Saturated Fat 17.5 g
-Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
-Monounsaturated Fat 8.7 g
Cholesterol 71.7 mg
Sodium 593.2 mg
Potassium 163.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
-Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
-Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 16.6 g

rosethorns 08-06-2013 03:41 PM

It sounds great . Look at the carbs on the chicken soup.

TheSouthernPrincess 08-06-2013 04:04 PM

Yeah, I didn't have the ingredients with me right now because I'm at work ;), so I entered it into an online recipe tracker for the counts. If you have a substitute for cream of chicken, you could make it even lower carb! I figured it out at home before, and I'm pretty sure it was around 7-8 carbs/serving. You might even be able to get 8 servings, but I like big servings lol!

metqa 08-06-2013 04:33 PM

Oh, I love this recipe! I haven't made it in ages. Thanks for bringing it up. I gotta make this asap!

Charski 08-07-2013 09:51 AM

IIRC, the cream of chicken and mushroom soup was lower in carbs than either of them on their own - not sure why? But that's the one I use most of the time when it calls for a cream of whatever soup!

metqa 08-07-2013 12:46 PM

I know, it's crazy isn't it. I told my BF to look for Cream of Chicken and mushroom and he brought me two separate soups. LOL I had to show him the combined soup and that it was lower in carbs, still don't know why.

I could use a rotisserie to make this I guess. Save one cooking step.

rcookie 08-07-2013 01:37 PM

Saving this one. Great recipe!

CarolynF 08-07-2013 01:43 PM

This is my kind of recipe for sure..I need to really grind up those pork rinds..Probably with a big time blender..????

TheSouthernPrincess 08-07-2013 02:17 PM

I've never seen the cream of chicken and mushroom combined. I'll have to look for it! @CarolynF, I just use my food processor to grind them up then dump the parmesan cheese in there and give it a few more whirls to mix it up. I'm glad you guys like the recipe :)

Soobee 08-07-2013 04:00 PM

I found the Cream of Chicken and Mushroom at Target, of all places.

CarolynF 08-09-2013 11:05 AM

Making this now !!

pooticus 08-09-2013 05:27 PM

Yummy recipe!!! Great idea for the topping!

cjack1 09-02-2013 01:42 PM

Bump... Going to try this tonight

Tweaker Geek 09-02-2013 07:19 PM

I'm going to check my Target for the chicken and mushroom soup, I've never been able to find it around here. Thanks for posting that Soobee.

buttoni 09-03-2013 07:33 AM

SOUNDS DELICIOUS! I'll have to try this one.