Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Turnips.....where have you been all my life? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/809523-turnips-where-have-you-been-all-my-life.html)

pocahontas 08-05-2013 10:31 AM

Turnips.....where have you been all my life?

I made Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew with Root Vegetables yesterday and the turnips were just like potatoes! DH didn't even know they were turnips. I know we have talked about them many times here on LCF but I just chose to skip them and used cauli for a mashed tater sub and that was that. I will be using turnips in my stews and roasts from now on!

Here is the recipe. I tweaked it a bit. I did use the beer but omitted the sugar and flour (it wasnt necessary). I also used 2 turnips and only 1 ea of carrot and parsnip. It was amazing, cant wait for leftover today! :yummy:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds beef stew meat
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can or bottle beer
4 cups beef broth, more as needed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 to 3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 carrots, roughly sliced
2 parsnips, roughly sliced
1 small turnip, roughly sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, optional
Minced fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions
Heat the oil and butter in a pan and brown the beef. Remove the beef from the pan, throw in the garlic and onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Pour in the beer, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, sugar, paprika, salt and some pepper. Then return the beef to the pan, cover and simmer on a low heat until the meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If the liquid level gets too low, add more broth as needed.

Add the carrots, parsnips and turnips and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced, about 30 minutes.

If the stew is still too liquidy, remove a cup of cooking liquid from the pan and stir in the flour. Add the flour mixture back into the pan and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes until the stew is thick. The meat should be very tender; if it's tough, let it continue to cook.

To finish, add the parsley and stir through the stew.

MisticalMisty 08-05-2013 10:43 AM

I love turnips. I make turnips au gratin, turnip gratin, mashed turnips, turnip fries.

I find that if I am going to cook them in anything other than a soup or stew that I have to salt them to get rid of the bitter taste.

Welcome to the turnip eating world :)

Charski 08-05-2013 10:44 AM

They're good, aren't they? We love turnips.

Some time, try some roasted root veggies - turnips, rutabagas, maybe some parsnips and/or sweet taters - cut them all into chunks of equal size, toss with a little EVOO and some dried crushed thyme or seasoning of your choice, and I always use garlic salt too - then turn into a baking pan and roast at 400* or so til tender, turning once or twice. I like them to be browned a bit, it brings out the sweet flavors so well!

That turnip au gratin recipe that is on this forum is wonderful too - have served it to my Dad, who professes to dislike turnips, and he truly thought it was potatoes au gratin. It took some convincing to get him to believe that they were turnips!

pocahontas 08-05-2013 11:49 AM

Char, I have had that au gratin recipe saved for years and just never got around to it. :laugh: Now I think I will!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. :D

Charski 08-05-2013 12:12 PM

I think you'll really like it, Andi. It's one of my most often requested recipes - from my DAD! :laugh:

Along with that sweet potato/butternut squash gratin. That one is so good too.

AuburnNurse 08-05-2013 12:23 PM

Sounds terrific! I NEVER see turnips around here in Central Texas. Heck, yesterday, at Walmart there weren't even squash or zucchini around. I'm going to have to try Whole Foods soon. I'd love to try some turnip alernatives.

rosethorns 08-05-2013 12:38 PM

Just saying I love turnips.

MisticalMisty 08-06-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16546485)
That turnip au gratin recipe that is on this forum is wonderful too - have served it to my Dad, who professes to dislike turnips, and he truly thought it was potatoes au gratin. It took some convincing to get him to believe that they were turnips!

I think that's my recipe! lol

alonewithyou 08-06-2013 02:25 PM

I think we only have turnips that are all white. Are those the same?

This is what we have: Nepe

This is what you use, right? http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/turnip5.jpg

JHoberer 08-07-2013 12:05 AM

AuburnNurse... I live in San Antonio and my HEB has turnips almost all the time. Now I have never seen celeriac/celery root...

I like to make a simple turnip soup. Peel one turnip and dice it up pretty small. Cover with water and add appropriate amount of beef bouillon base (or use broth), a spoonful of butter, garlic powder, pepper and onion powder. Microwave 4-5 minutes covered.

Turnips are best when cooked in broth or with a roast and not so good as leftovers.

Turnips fries? I've made Daikon radish fries...

Soobee 08-07-2013 06:31 AM

Alonewithyou, I think those are interchangeable.

Dottie 08-07-2013 05:29 PM

Anyone have a recipe for pickled turnips?
I remember my great grandmother making them and all I remember is she would add beet juice for color and sliced onions in with the pickling liquid.
I kind of remember they had a mildly sweet taste, but not like sweet pickles.

Soobee 08-07-2013 05:51 PM

Pickled Turnips David
3 cups (750 ml) water
1/3 cup (70 g) coarse white salt, such as kosher salt or sea salt
1 bay leaf
1 cup (250 ml) white vinegar
2-pounds (1 kg) turnips, peeled
1 small beet, or a few slices from a regular-size beet, peeled
3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
In a saucepan, heat about one-third of the water. Add the salt and bay leaf, stirring until the salt is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, add the vinegar and the rest of the water. Cut the turnips and the beet into batons, about the size of French fries. Put the turnips, beets, and garlic slices into a large, clean jar, then pour the salted brine over them in the jar, including the bay leaf. Cover and let sit at room temperature, in a relatively cool place, for one week. Once done, they can be refrigerated until ready to serve.

alonewithyou 08-08-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16549283)
Alonewithyou, I think those are interchangeable.

Great! A new vegetable to use :D

graciejean 08-08-2013 06:37 AM

alonewithyou,both turnips are good. my daddy always planted both,the purple top turnip one is a little bit stronger in taste.I love to eat them raw.

Dottie 08-08-2013 06:45 AM

Thanks SooBee:)

dianafoot 08-08-2013 06:50 AM

Can somebody put a link to the turnips au gratin recipe several folks have referred to? I have the Pioneer Woman's recipe, but would like any one that people have found to be good. Thanks!

MisticalMisty 08-08-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16550963)
Can somebody put a link to the turnips au gratin recipe several folks have referred to? I have the Pioneer Woman's recipe, but would like any one that people have found to be good. Thanks!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/at...l#post15263931

Here's the Au Gratin recipe. I've recently started salting the turnip slices to draw out the bitter..and I'm really happy with the results..just lay them in a single layer on paper towels...sprinkle liberally with salt and let them sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse really, really well and get all the salt off and finish the recipe! If you salt, you can skip the first step of cooking them in the microwave. If you don't salt, cook them in the microwave.

Turnip gratin **a Misty original**

2 turnips peeled and sliced very thin **I use a mandolin for mine**
1 pint heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese
16 oz shredded montery jack cheese **Use the block and not the bagged stuff. Iíve found that the pre-shredded cheese is way too greasy!**
Several slices bacon cooked and crumbled

1. Put turnips in a microwave safe boil and add 2 TBSP water. Cover and heat in microwave for 5 minutes
2. Meanwhile, combine the next 2 ingredients and stir until cream cheese is melted.
3. Add shredded cheese and bacon and stir until melted and combined.
4. Drain cooked turnips and layer in a oven safe dish. Spray bottom of dish for easy clean up.
5. Layer turnips and sauce. Make sure you end with sauce.
6. Top with more shredded cheese, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and turn oven to broil and broil until cheese browns.

**I made a turnip gratin on Tuesday and it was good as well. I prepared the raw turnips the same way, but instead of making a cheese sauce. I made a sauce using 1 1/2 cups hwc, to that I added 1/2 bulb of garlic cloves that I peeled, about a tbsp of dried time, salt and pepper. I brought the mixture up to a simmer and simmered for about 10-15 minutes. I then strained it and poured it over the turnips. cooked covered for about an hour and 15 minutes and then uncovered for 15. I let it stand for 5 or 10 minutes before we ate. It was yummy! Cooked it on 400 I think.

Dottie 08-08-2013 07:24 AM

Here's mine, I do this often for holiday meals:)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...tml#post459040

Charski 08-08-2013 10:40 AM

Dottie's recipe is the one I use. I adore it. So does everyone else. :yummy:

dianafoot 08-08-2013 11:17 AM

thanks for all the recipes! I found Dottie's recipe in my file (never had tried it) and I am intrigued by MisticalMisty's recipe using cream cheese. Gonna pick one to try as soon as I can get some turnips!