Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
low carb yogurt?

Since I make my own yogurt with half and half instead of milk, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea what the carb count might be.
I love it since it is very firm like greek yogurt but no straining. I have searched the threads and can't find anything about making yogurt with half and half. My particular version of half and half has 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I have no idea. When I made it I used water and cream. I'm dairy free now , I'm pushing this up so other people will see it.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
since 2 tbsp. equals 1 oz., each 1 oz. of yogurt would have 1 g. carb therefore, each 8 oz. of yogurt would have 8g carbs.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I was under the impression from other posts about yogurt that the carbs are less in yogurt since the carbs are eaten by the yogurt making bacteria. I had read that there were 4 carbs in the yogurt made with regular milk. Just wondered if the less amount of carbs in the half and half would mean there would be less carbs in the finished yogurt.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Does it matter if it's "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.
from The Yogurt Exception, which references the GO diet.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I have read that the bacteria eat the lactose thus reducing the carb count, however, I do not know if this is fact.
Kroger makes a low carb yogurt which is good. I prefer homemade and have made my own using Kroger low carb milk. I have never tried it with half and half.

Rose ,
How do you make your non dairy yogurt?

There are so many conflicting reports about dairy...is it good or bad??? I love kefir and yogurt but dairy is acid forming which is not supposed to be good for the body. But the beneficial bacteria is good....hmmmm so confusing!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
I like the Light & Fit Greek. I divide a single container into half and put 1/4 cup of sf fruits in each one, mix it with 1 pkt of splenda, then freeze it. Yummy!
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I have read that the bacteria eat the lactose thus reducing the carb count, however, I do not know if this is fact.
Kroger makes a low carb yogurt which is good. I prefer homemade and have made my own using Kroger low carb milk. I have never tried it with half and half.

Rose ,
How do you make your non dairy yogurt?

There are so many conflicting reports about dairy...is it good or bad??? I love kefir and yogurt but dairy is acid forming which is not supposed to be good for the body. But the beneficial bacteria is good....hmmmm so confusing!
You can easily and cheaply make soy yogurt (if you do soy).

Or you can use nuts. Once you get the basics down, you can easily modify to your tastes. Here's one link. Oh, wait, can't link to it. Google cashew yogurt veg recipes of india.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote