Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   low carb yogurt? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/809495-low-carb-yogurt.html)

cselzler 08-05-2013 04:49 AM

low carb yogurt?

Since I make my own yogurt with half and half instead of milk, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea what the carb count might be.
I love it since it is very firm like greek yogurt but no straining. I have searched the threads and can't find anything about making yogurt with half and half. My particular version of half and half has 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.

rosethorns 08-05-2013 12:44 PM

I have no idea. When I made it I used water and cream. I'm dairy free now , I'm pushing this up so other people will see it.

jlp2009 08-06-2013 11:35 AM

since 2 tbsp. equals 1 oz., each 1 oz. of yogurt would have 1 g. carb therefore, each 8 oz. of yogurt would have 8g carbs.

cselzler 08-09-2013 03:09 PM

I was under the impression from other posts about yogurt that the carbs are less in yogurt since the carbs are eaten by the yogurt making bacteria. I had read that there were 4 carbs in the yogurt made with regular milk. Just wondered if the less amount of carbs in the half and half would mean there would be less carbs in the finished yogurt.

Pami 08-09-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Does it matter if it's "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.
from The Yogurt Exception, which references the GO diet.

jlp2009 08-10-2013 06:13 AM

I have read that the bacteria eat the lactose thus reducing the carb count, however, I do not know if this is fact.
Kroger makes a low carb yogurt which is good. I prefer homemade and have made my own using Kroger low carb milk. I have never tried it with half and half.

Rose ,
How do you make your non dairy yogurt?

There are so many conflicting reports about dairy...is it good or bad??? I love kefir and yogurt but dairy is acid forming which is not supposed to be good for the body. But the beneficial bacteria is good....hmmmm so confusing!

TooSweetForMe 09-14-2013 02:39 PM

I like the Light & Fit Greek. I divide a single container into half and put 1/4 cup of sf fruits in each one, mix it with 1 pkt of splenda, then freeze it. Yummy!

tofucheez 09-14-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlp2009 (Post 16553771)
I have read that the bacteria eat the lactose thus reducing the carb count, however, I do not know if this is fact.
Kroger makes a low carb yogurt which is good. I prefer homemade and have made my own using Kroger low carb milk. I have never tried it with half and half.

Rose ,
How do you make your non dairy yogurt?

There are so many conflicting reports about dairy...is it good or bad??? I love kefir and yogurt but dairy is acid forming which is not supposed to be good for the body. But the beneficial bacteria is good....hmmmm so confusing!

You can easily and cheaply make soy yogurt (if you do soy).

Or you can use nuts. Once you get the basics down, you can easily modify to your tastes. Here's one link. Oh, wait, can't link to it. Google cashew yogurt veg recipes of india.