Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
bl0nd3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Flour Mixes

Im having a really hard time trying to find the "flour mixes" ... it appears there are a few different ones. I checked out the sticky at the top, and viewd the original Fantastic Flour started by Ginaaaa but then under it, it has...

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk.....

and this is where i become confused. So which ingredients are for the actual flour itself, and not for the recipe that follows (if that makes sense) as im guessing vanilla WPI, or spices are for the recipe that follows, but regarding the flour mixes everyone is using now, could i please grab some advice.

I have since purchased Whey protein isolate
pea protein isolate
powdered egg whte protein
almond meal
hazel meal
flax seed meal
coconut flour
gluc/ konjac flour

and iv been sifting through the kevins flour mixes, but noticed they have carbs, or include "carbalose, or carbquick" which i have no idea what these are.

im guessing to make a good flour mix, i will require some oat fiber, and some psyllium husk ....... anything else im missing? would i require resistant wheat starch or some type of gluten?

im just wanting to make a basic plain all purpose flour to be used for everything, and if required, i would add baking powder to my recipe if required - I usually use the LC foods Flour mix, and i LOVE their products, however its a bit expensive for someone who bakes daily, so i would love to imitate the flour to create my own in bulk - any ideas, suggestions, or guides to a flour mix ONLY thread - no recipes, just flour mixes and a basic description of its use. does this type of thread exist?

thank-you so much in advance - would save me sooo many hours of going through so many threads until 2:25am lol
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
alonewithyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 650
Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
This is the recipe for the flour itself (the "better than flour" by Ouizoid):

A Fantastic Flour Mix-ouizoid (For ONE serving)
2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12 (Multiplied so you can keep it on hand and use when needed)
1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan

I have no idea if people add more baking powder, you'll have to look at the recipes posted. I don't think it would be necessary though..

Jennifer's bake mixes:

*SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX*
1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain) (sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

In large tupperware-type container with lid, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Replace lid and shake until all ingredients are well combined. This recipe may be doubled or tripled, so that one always has bake mix on hand. I keep it at room temperature in the container for months, but it may be kept in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Let's see, some people feel the whey proteins are too expensive. They are expensive, but last a long time, especially if one does not bake very frequently. They also keep really well for ages at room temperature.

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, unsweetened plain whey protein can be substituted, especially for savory applications. Instead of the whey, you could use coconut flour, golden flax meal, ground walnuts, Carbalose flour, oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, soy flour (these last three have more or less the same number of carbohydrate grams) or any flour you desire.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix

1 1/2 cups almond flour, ground almonds, OR (375 mL) ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL) whole wheat pastry flour, OR oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)

1/4 cup with spelt:
139.5 calories; 8.2 g protein, 8.0 g fat; 8.4 g carbs

1/4 with whole wheat pastry flour:
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

with oat flour:
136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with all-purpose flour:
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

12/3 cups almond flour (400 mL)
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour (175 ml)
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, (30 mL)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup or more than 1 cup flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp more if substituting for less than 1 cup. Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, loaves, cakes and coffee cakes, except for cookies and except if bake mix required is less than or equal to 1 cup. Withhold a quarter of the liquid/wet/fat ingredients; add in as needed. If batter after processing at least a minute is still too thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still too stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience is helpful.

Helpful Hints: Great in muffins, loaves (with eggs!), cookies, squares or bars, coffee cakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties, binding ingredients together to prevent crumbly outcomes.

My Alternate Bake Mixes (not gluten-free): When substituting the Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix for some of my other bake mixes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more bake mix may be required depending on if one is replacing less than 1 cup (250 mL) or 1 cup (250 mL) or more (last 2, latter amount). Follow the same rules above. It is convenient to double or triple this bake mix. See blog post on this recipe for more information or updates: low-carb-news.blogspot.com

Yield: 21/2 cups
1/4 cup per serving
125.7 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g carbs

Kevin's bake mixes

Kevins LC Cake or Cookie Flour mix
1/2 cup carbquik
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar

I actually multiplied this by 8 to yeild me just slightly over 8 cups.
8 cups mix
4 cups Carbquik
2 cups WPI 5000
1/2 cup WPI 8000
1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
2 3/4 Tbsp. not/Sugar

That's Kevin's recipe multiplied by 8 and just over 8 cups yield.

Carbalose mix
9 T carbquick or carbalose
4 T + 2 tsp wheat protein isolate 5000
1 T + 1/2 tsp wheat protein isolate 8000
1 T + 1/2 tsp resistant wheat starch
1 tsp not/sugar

The carbalose mix is 12 carbs per cup and the carbquik mix is 9 carbs per cup. In 99% of my recipes I state which version I am using.

I think all these mixes have good reviews on the forums. The first one is the one that's most popular at the moment I believe. It's the newest.
__________________
Start weight: 150 lbs, 68 kg (BMI 25,6)
Goal 1: 136,4 lbs 62kg
Goal 2: 120, 55kg (BMI 20,7)
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
alonewithyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 650
Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Kevin's: Kevins LC Cake or Cookie Flour mix

Ouizoid's: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,363
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Thanks for posting all the bake mixes together. It's really helpful.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks for all the mixes in 1 place I put them on the" old recipes for newbies" thread. Thanks

Blondy can you eat wheat products? Kevins are wonderful and I used them and loved them. But I'm allergic to almost all grains.

You also may want to propose the question to other friends. What they are using for the egg white powder. Some are using Now brand egg white powder for the egg whites in Ouizoid BTF mix. Because of price. I don't think there is a difference but I don't know.To me this flour mix is so close to an everything flour. We made many different foods with this mix.

I also loved , loved Jen's Gluten free mixes. You can make just about any food with them too.

I have found that glucomannan added to any flour mix helps make it very lite and fluffy.
__________________
______________________________
Esther

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 08-04-2013 at 07:36 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
alonewithyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 650
Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
No problem! I had them all saved up in Evernote easy peasy to find!
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 163
Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
I'll add that many of us use at more than one of these mixes depending on what we are making. Sadly, it just doesn't work to universally substitute one of these mixes for all-purpose flour into standard recipes. . . converting recipes is tough (at least for me) and I've had much better luck using recipes I've found here from people that have more experience from me.

Right now I use the BTF mix for sweet and savory applications where I want a lighter, fluffier result with a fairly big crumb--and the least amount of carbs. There are a zillion fun, quick recipes for this one that I have enjoyed trying, and the mix is very forgiving.

I use Jennifer's mixes when I can afford the carbs (I like the "vital" mix the best) and want a denser result with smaller crumb. Jennifer's lower carb blends are also very good and I wouldn't hesitate to use them either! Her recipes are all well tested and she has a good formula (see her site) for interchanging the blends.

Kevin's mixes are for special occasions in my world -- I think they best replicate high-carb texture, but they have the most carbs and use ingredients that I don't keep a lot of on hand these days. Some of his recipes use sweeteners and additives (isomalt, poly-d) that many of us have given up on because of the tummy issues with them, so there's a little experimentation involved.

For some recipes, you'll add a little "extra" of the "flour," leavening, etc. to the mix ingredients to make the recipe work. There's no real hard and fast rule here on that. So if you see a recipe that says 3c. BTF mix on one line and then 1/4 c. unflavored whey protein, well, that recipe just need a little more protein powder to make it work.

Last but not least, there's Carbquick, the commercial lowcarb version of bisquick. If you're eating grain free, this is out. Some folks don't like the taste of this stuff. I admit it's acquired, but I don't mind it so much. When I was first starting out, this saved me from failure. Everything you need to make basic stuff (biscuits, waffles, pancakes, etc.) in a big retro yellow box. It's commercialized and over-processed and evil in so many ways, but I used to eat things like that multiple times a day, so at the time it didn't seem so bad.

Hope this helps a little! Happy baking!

Kelly
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,182
Gallery: watcher513
Also, in the Fantastic Flour Mix, some of us use 1/2 blanched almond flour and 1/2 coconut flour for the all coconut flour portion, or even all almond flour (depending on your taste). Instead of vanilla protein powder, you can use unflavored in case you want to make a savory version of something.

It's a very versatile recipe. In the Big Batch thread at the top, there are posts with notes, which are people's tweaks of the original. It's a much shorter thread than the original one, more consolidated.

Last edited by watcher513; 08-05-2013 at 04:26 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 435
Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Thanks for posting all the bake mixes together. It's really helpful.
Yes! Thank you.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Gallery: jennylinsky
I have a cake recipe that calls for 1/4 c. of soya powder. What can I substitute for that? Almond or coconut flour?
jennylinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I wish I knew the recipe. I'm going to say almond Jenny.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Gallery: jennylinsky
re: sub for soya flour?

Rose, here is the link to the recipe: Chocolate Ginger Cake | Diabetic Connect
jennylinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,201
Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
No problem! I had them all saved up in Evernote easy peasy to find!
Thank you SO MUCH for the list of flour mixes. I have all of those saved in my folder called "bake mixes", but they are all in separate documents with tons of comments. It is wonderful to have them all in one document now!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,201
Gallery: dianafoot
I've heard a lot of folks say that they like the LC foods flours. the ingredient list reads like some of the mixes that Kevinpa made and that Jena-Marie used to use. I used to keep those mixes made up for when I wanted to do pie crusts and sourdough bread and they worked really well. Here's the LC foods ingredient list for a couple of their white bread flours:

Wheat protein isolates, resistant wheat starches, flax seed
meal, vital wheat gluten, Inulin (chicory root) fiber, digestion resistant
polydextrose fiber, baking powder, salt, organic stevia rebaudiana leaf, natural
luo han guo monk fruit, natural color titanium dioxide & natural enzymes.

I don't have gluten issues, so I might just try going back to some of those old flour blends and use this ingredient list to see what I can come up with.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Gabby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 672
Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Bumpity bump
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylinsky View Post
Rose, here is the link to the recipe: Chocolate Ginger Cake | Diabetic Connect
Jenny thanks for linking. Now that I look at it, I'd say almond flour.It looks really really good.

I think I would use Chicken Lady's Almond Fudge cake recipe and add some ginger to it. Just a thought.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,376
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Kevin said to use wheat protein isolate in place of vital wheat gluten as it works the same with no carbs. I have to say I personally tried both and never see any change in the finished product so I say he is correct.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
bl0nd3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
This is the recipe for the flour itself (the "better than flour" by Ouizoid):

A Fantastic Flour Mix-ouizoid (For ONE serving)
2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12 (Multiplied so you can keep it on hand and use when needed)
1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan

I have no idea if people add more baking powder, you'll have to look at the recipes posted. I don't think it would be necessary though..

Jennifer's bake mixes:

*SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX*
1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain) (sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

In large tupperware-type container with lid, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Replace lid and shake until all ingredients are well combined. This recipe may be doubled or tripled, so that one always has bake mix on hand. I keep it at room temperature in the container for months, but it may be kept in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Let's see, some people feel the whey proteins are too expensive. They are expensive, but last a long time, especially if one does not bake very frequently. They also keep really well for ages at room temperature.

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, unsweetened plain whey protein can be substituted, especially for savory applications. Instead of the whey, you could use coconut flour, golden flax meal, ground walnuts, Carbalose flour, oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, soy flour (these last three have more or less the same number of carbohydrate grams) or any flour you desire.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix

1 1/2 cups almond flour, ground almonds, OR (375 mL) ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL) whole wheat pastry flour, OR oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)

1/4 cup with spelt:
139.5 calories; 8.2 g protein, 8.0 g fat; 8.4 g carbs

1/4 with whole wheat pastry flour:
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

with oat flour:
136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with all-purpose flour:
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

12/3 cups almond flour (400 mL)
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour (175 ml)
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, (30 mL)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup or more than 1 cup flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp more if substituting for less than 1 cup. Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, loaves, cakes and coffee cakes, except for cookies and except if bake mix required is less than or equal to 1 cup. Withhold a quarter of the liquid/wet/fat ingredients; add in as needed. If batter after processing at least a minute is still too thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still too stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience is helpful.

Helpful Hints: Great in muffins, loaves (with eggs!), cookies, squares or bars, coffee cakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties, binding ingredients together to prevent crumbly outcomes.

My Alternate Bake Mixes (not gluten-free): When substituting the Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix for some of my other bake mixes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more bake mix may be required depending on if one is replacing less than 1 cup (250 mL) or 1 cup (250 mL) or more (last 2, latter amount). Follow the same rules above. It is convenient to double or triple this bake mix. See blog post on this recipe for more information or updates: low-carb-news.blogspot.com

Yield: 21/2 cups
1/4 cup per serving
125.7 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g carbs

Kevin's bake mixes

Kevins LC Cake or Cookie Flour mix
1/2 cup carbquik
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar

I actually multiplied this by 8 to yeild me just slightly over 8 cups.
8 cups mix
4 cups Carbquik
2 cups WPI 5000
1/2 cup WPI 8000
1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
2 3/4 Tbsp. not/Sugar

That's Kevin's recipe multiplied by 8 and just over 8 cups yield.

Carbalose mix
9 T carbquick or carbalose
4 T + 2 tsp wheat protein isolate 5000
1 T + 1/2 tsp wheat protein isolate 8000
1 T + 1/2 tsp resistant wheat starch
1 tsp not/sugar

The carbalose mix is 12 carbs per cup and the carbquik mix is 9 carbs per cup. In 99% of my recipes I state which version I am using.

I think all these mixes have good reviews on the forums. The first one is the one that's most popular at the moment I believe. It's the newest.
I only just realized this thread had a few responses, - alonewithyou i can not thank-you enough for providing this list, it has been exactly what iv been hunting for, and i just seemed to be going in circles within threads, and it was rather fustrating, this is definaltey a life saver and has saved me hours of going through threads with 20+ pages just to find these details.
Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you !!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Blondy can you eat wheat products? Kevins are wonderful and I used them and loved them. But I'm allergic to almost all grains.

You also may want to propose the question to other friends. What they are using for the egg white powder. Some are using Now brand egg white powder for the egg whites in Ouizoid BTF mix. Because of price. I don't think there is a difference but I don't know.To me this flour mix is so close to an everything flour. We made many different foods with this mix.

I also loved , loved Jen's Gluten free mixes. You can make just about any food with them too.

I have found that glucomannan added to any flour mix helps make it very lite and fluffy.
I sure can eat wheat products, and im looking very forward to trying out Kevins mixes aswell, although i do think they are similar to the LC foods flours which i have currently been using, but due to costs iv decided to attempt my own mix. Shame you have allergies to wheat, that must be soo frustrating for you, hope you have found good alternatives so you dont have to miss out?
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
bl0nd3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
I'll add that many of us use at more than one of these mixes depending on what we are making. Sadly, it just doesn't work to universally substitute one of these mixes for all-purpose flour into standard recipes. . . converting recipes is tough (at least for me) and I've had much better luck using recipes I've found here from people that have more experience from me.

Right now I use the BTF mix for sweet and savory applications where I want a lighter, fluffier result with a fairly big crumb--and the least amount of carbs. There are a zillion fun, quick recipes for this one that I have enjoyed trying, and the mix is very forgiving.

I use Jennifer's mixes when I can afford the carbs (I like the "vital" mix the best) and want a denser result with smaller crumb. Jennifer's lower carb blends are also very good and I wouldn't hesitate to use them either! Her recipes are all well tested and she has a good formula (see her site) for interchanging the blends.

Kevin's mixes are for special occasions in my world -- I think they best replicate high-carb texture, but they have the most carbs and use ingredients that I don't keep a lot of on hand these days. Some of his recipes use sweeteners and additives (isomalt, poly-d) that many of us have given up on because of the tummy issues with them, so there's a little experimentation involved.

For some recipes, you'll add a little "extra" of the "flour," leavening, etc. to the mix ingredients to make the recipe work. There's no real hard and fast rule here on that. So if you see a recipe that says 3c. BTF mix on one line and then 1/4 c. unflavored whey protein, well, that recipe just need a little more protein powder to make it work.

Last but not least, there's Carbquick, the commercial lowcarb version of bisquick. If you're eating grain free, this is out. Some folks don't like the taste of this stuff. I admit it's acquired, but I don't mind it so much. When I was first starting out, this saved me from failure. Everything you need to make basic stuff (biscuits, waffles, pancakes, etc.) in a big retro yellow box. It's commercialized and over-processed and evil in so many ways, but I used to eat things like that multiple times a day, so at the time it didn't seem so bad.

Hope this helps a little! Happy baking!

Kelly
Hi Kelly,
thank-you for the response and advice. I couldnt agree with you more regarding the different flour mixes for different uses. I have been using LC Foods flours for a while now - they taste great, just a little expensive, but i was analyzing the ingredients to make my own big batch, and realized the ingredients across all the flours - (cake flour, pasta flour, cookie/pastry flour, bread flour) all have the same basic ingredients however the ratio of protein isolate must be different in each in order to achieve the best baking result for the flours purpose.

I tried to sub cake flour to make cookies - that failed. I attempted to make cookies with pasta flour - that failed LOL so i have definatley learnt that even the tiniest little "tweak" to a flour can certainly change the flour completley for a completely different use. I just have to start experimenting as to which ingredient does what.

Also thanks for providing some information and light in regards to carbquik / bisquik ... it sounds like really good stuff, but i think im more about keeping those carb numbers as low as possible. I cant wait to start experimenting with all these mixes. I just had my purchases from netrition all consolidated before being forwarding to myself here in australia - over $500 worth of LC flours, fibers, sauces, syrups etc ... should last me a while im hoping, as i wont be able to afford to do this again for a while hahaha.

- Sadly, whilst on a MAD baking spree with my last order, i have broken my blender, my hand-mixer died on me, my bench-top mixer gears got jammed (my fault, as i was holding bub while using the scraper on the edge and the scraper lodged between the beaters), my stick mixer no longer works either, and my electric fripan power surged so i cant use that anymore either.... talk about bad luck... i supposed it serves me right for buying cheap kmart appliances LOL
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
alonewithyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 650
Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
No problem, blondy
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.