Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   chicken livers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/809359-chicken-livers.html)

dianafoot 08-02-2013 12:23 PM

chicken livers

Looking for others who like liver! I grew up eating liver 'n onions, where my mother fried calf liver dredged in flour, in lots of bacon grease. She also fried lots of onion and bacon to go with. Yum! Now if you know you don't like liver, stop reading here, :laugh:, but if you do, I would like some healthier alternatives to preparing it.

I made the chicken livers below today and they were wonderful. Any more ideas for preparing them anyone?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa65ca321.jpg

Diana’s Sautéed Chicken Livers

¼ pound chicken livers
½ small onion
2 tsp. Italian dressing mix
4 tsp olive oil*

• Trim chicken livers of any visible gristle or fat and pat dry.
• Heat 2 tsp oil in frying pan and sauté the onions until very brown and caramelized, approximately 5-7 minutes.
• Push onions to the side of the pan and add the other 2 tsp of oil
• Sprinkle livers generously with dry dressing mix and then add the livers one at a time to the hot oil.
• Saute the livers until brown and crispy on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add more oil if needed when turning the livers over.

Mound the sautéed onions on a plate and pile the livers on top to serve.

*use more oil if desired—I am trying to keep calories low as well as carbs

tyler43836 08-02-2013 12:25 PM

:jumpjoy: Another liver lover here.

Ntombi 08-02-2013 12:29 PM

Love liver, beef and chicken. I just sauté them in bacon fat with caramelized onions. :yummy:

graciejean 08-02-2013 12:35 PM

marking my spot,Dianafoot that plate sure looks real good. I am from the south also and grew up eating liver,simply love it.

Karerose 08-02-2013 12:38 PM

Love chicken liver. Tasty cheap meal.

I just cook in butter and sauteed onions.

I never thought to toss in some bacon, but I think I will next time. Not sure about that Italian dressing mix though.

Hate calves liver.

dianafoot 08-02-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16542630)
Not sure about that Italian dressing mix though.

I did the dressing mix because I dust a whole chicken with most of a packet of it when roasting chicken in the oven. I always put the liver in the pan with the roasting chicken and it cooks in the drippings that are seasoned with the mix. The livers are SO good cooked this way--I pull them out when done and scarf them up before anybody else even knows they're there! :laugh:

dianafoot 08-02-2013 01:03 PM

BTW, one whole packet of that dressing mix has 8 g carbs--all sugar. The 2 tsp I use on the livers has 2 2/3 g carbs, if I'm doing the math right (1 packet has 6 tsp and 8 g carbs. and 2 tsp is 1/3 of the packet. So 1/3 x 8/1 = 8/3 or 2 2/3). Not bad if that's all the carbs you're eating, but it would be nice to try mixing up an herb/spice blend without the sugar.

Can you tell I teach 5th grade math? :hyst:

rosethorns 08-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16542617)
Looking for others who like liver! I grew up eating liver 'n onions, where my mother fried calf liver dredged in flour, in lots of bacon grease. She also fried lots of onion and bacon to go with. Yum! Now if you know you don't like liver, stop reading here, :laugh:, but if you do, I would like some healthier alternatives to preparing it.

I made the chicken livers below today and they were wonderful. Any more ideas for preparing them anyone?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa65ca321.jpg

Diana’s Sautéed Chicken Livers

¼ pound chicken livers
½ small onion
2 tsp. Italian dressing mix
4 tsp olive oil*

• Trim chicken livers of any visible gristle or fat and pat dry.
• Heat 2 tsp oil in frying pan and sauté the onions until very brown and caramelized, approximately 5-7 minutes.
• Push onions to the side of the pan and add the other 2 tsp of oil
• Sprinkle livers generously with dry dressing mix and then add the livers one at a time to the hot oil.
• Saute the livers until brown and crispy on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add more oil if needed when turning the livers over.

Mound the sautéed onions on a plate and pile the livers on top to serve.

*use more oil if desired—I am trying to keep calories low as well as carbs

Wow that looks great!!! I love chicken livers and chicken liver pate made by a jewish grandma. :hyst: I knew one.

CindyCRNA 08-02-2013 07:28 PM

Love liver!! Chicken liver, liver and onions! But I make it when the BF is out of the house.

Trinigirl 08-02-2013 07:39 PM

Love chicken liver and onions..

Pami 08-02-2013 10:43 PM

I like chicken liver and braunschweiger-

Chicken livers sauteed in butter with fresh-cracked black pepper.

Braunschweiger with yellow mustard.

That's the extent of my love of liver.

Pami 08-02-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16543245)

Oh, and rumaki :heart:

pandora174 08-03-2013 05:55 AM

I love liver !! Chicken, calf, turkey all yummy :) I usually just sauté in bacon grease & add dry spices. I do love to add hot sauce, lemon juice & then eat with some full fat dressing. Glad to find others who love liver too !!:yummy:

christyjo 08-03-2013 07:20 AM

We make liver as well. My grandma always poured boiling water over the beef liver, lined a colander with it, poured, and then flipped and poured over the other side. Not sure why, but since grandma always did, I do. It seals the pieces up (they get to be ugly gray), then I dredge them in Carbalose (one of the only things I use it for) and fry in bacon grease. For chicken livers, I trim all the connective tissue off (which takes longer than cooking), shake in Carbalose and fry till crispy. Since liver has a rather strong taste of its own, the Carbalose does not have that weird flavor. I season both with Cavenders Greek seasoning. Yum, need to get some today!

christyjo

CindyCRNA 08-03-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16543247)
Oh, and rumaki :heart:

Yes!

dianafoot 08-03-2013 08:25 AM

I love liver pate, too. Does anyone have a good recipe for that?

Soobee 08-03-2013 09:14 AM

I have 2 recipes for chopped liver but none for pate.

Charski 08-03-2013 11:45 AM

Mmm, you girls are all talking my language here! I LOVE liver. I usually only get it when dining out since DH doesn't care for it.

My fave chicken livers - whip up an egg white til frothy, dip livers in that, then dredge in a mix of about half crushed pork rinds and half parm cheese - I also add some garlic powder to that. Really press them into the crumb mixture so there's lots.

Bake at 400* til done to your liking. Use a nonstick foil-lined baking sheet for the least mess!

I love braunschweiger too, liverwurst, that canned liverwurst with the devil on it, calves liver must have bacon and onions, rumaki is delicious too!

My fave sandwich - sourdough bread, mustard on one piece, chunky peanut butter on the other, spread the braunschweiger on the mustard side, put a slice of sweet onion on top of that, then close it off with the peanut butter side - it sounds disgusting to most but I am telling you it is DELICIOUS.

Soobee 08-03-2013 01:09 PM

LOL, Char. That is a combination I never would have thought of!

By the way, Paleo Parents Blog has a recipe for Liver Mousse posted.

dianafoot 08-03-2013 02:18 PM

Wow, Char, all of my favorite ingredients in one place! Will have to try that one.

rosethorns 08-03-2013 02:21 PM

Diana I will see if I have that chicken liver pate recipe. I use too.

rosethorns 08-03-2013 06:22 PM

I finally found it .

Chicken Liver Pate

1 lb. chicken livers
1 T. butter
2 T. olive oil

Cook these & set aside in fry pan.

1 med. onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 chicken boullion cubes( or powder chicken base )
1 T. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. white wine

Take the chicken livers out and set on plate. Add more oil if needed & sautee onions and garlic. Add everything in a food processor bowl and let it rip until everythibng is together. Chill and enjoy on LC crackers.

I thought I lost it. There is no way I would remember it. I found it on the back cover of one of my cookbooks. I use a powder base . It's to die for.

I hope you like it.
Put boiling water in bowl w/ boullion cubes let dissolve.

eagle eye 08-06-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

strawberryheart;14245824]I use a combination of flax meal and almond meal. Usually I'll use 1/4c of each which is 2 carbs and add my own seasonings which can be garlic onion and Parmesan. Dip in egg and coat. I use it for fried zuchinni and chicken strips. One of my favorites.
]

This is the best batter to fry in . Has anyone fried livers in it? I have used it for fried portabello mushrooms and OMG!!!!! :sing: :jumpjoy: :sing:

dianafoot 08-06-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16544242)
I finally found it .

Chicken Liver Pate

1 lb. chicken livers
1 T. butter
2 T. olive oil

Cook these & set aside in fry pan.

1 med. onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 chicken boullion cubes( or powder chicken base )
1 T. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. white wine

Take the chicken livers out and set on plate. Add more oil if needed & sautee onions and garlic. Add everything in a food processor bowl and let it rip until everythibng is together. Chill and enjoy on LC crackers.

I thought I lost it. There is no way I would remember it. I found it on the back cover of one of my cookbooks. I use a powder base . It's to die for.

I hope you like it.
Put boiling water in bowl w/ boullion cubes let dissolve.

thank you, Esther! I have a pound of fresh chicken livers in the fridge that I am going to do tomorrow, and I'll do this recipe! It looks great. :shake:

eagle eye 08-07-2013 08:19 AM

I fried chicken livers, eggplant, pickles and mushrooms in the batter listed ii post #23 of this thread and it was delicious. I prefer this batter to any pork rind or parmesan batter. My none low carb family think it is delicious!!!!!:sing::yummy: :yummy: :sing:

Dottie 08-07-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16543245)

:heart:
I have to have dill pickle slices on my braun (or liverwurst) and mustard though :)

Barbo 08-08-2013 07:33 PM

Liver Lovers Unite

I like all the ways Char likes lol

We have my Aunt Sadie's chopped liver but it's not pate I'm afraid.

New way to make fried calf's liver.
We are sprinkling with Montreal seasonings and then dipping in the
new "Better than Flour" mix. Fry the bacon take it out and then throw in
the red onions and let them get yummy. Remove and set aside.
Fry up the liver in the bacon fat. This is so delish. The BTF mix is so tasty,
we also friend fish and chicken tenders with it.

eagle eye 08-10-2013 08:57 PM

dianafoot...... thanks to you I have had chicken livers three time this week :D !!!!!!!!

buttoni 08-13-2013 05:03 PM

I love fried chicken livers, but hubby doesn't like it, so I only make them when he's not home for some reason, which is rare. These sound interesting, Diana and I'll try them some time when he's away. Your pic sure has them looking good!

dianafoot 08-13-2013 05:06 PM

just had them again today--I like them so much just seasoned and sauteed with onion, that I haven't gotten into doing them any other way yet.

I buy a 1 lb container, divide it into 4 servings and put each in a zip-loc and freeze them in a larger freezer zip-loc bag. They freeze really well that way and are easy to thaw. That way I can have them about twice a week. Yum!