Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Searching for LC recipes can be funny or disheartening.

Ok, I guess what we here at LCF think of as LC is much different than what most people think LC is..... I was just looking for a good LC Caribbean recipe for tonight and other than jerk chicken or something like jerk chicken it was rather sparse so I was rather sad....... But then you do find a recipe and it looks good, and then it finishes up with "serve with white rice"!

Granted, nobody has to have the rice, but why list a recipe as LC, and then say "serve over white rice"?

I must say though, that I really miss eating Caribbean food. I like jerk chicken, but Caribbean food is so much more than that.

Not looking for anybody to post recipes in this thread, though. Just lamenting the lack of options and the irony.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Or they say it's 'low carb' but the carbs end up being 30 or more 'per serving'.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Oh yea, most people's definition of low carb is completely different than what people here tend to think of as low carb.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I went to the local Asian/International grocery store yesterday to buy some miso, and came out with goat meat, too! I'm planning jerk goat for Saturday.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Oh yea, most people's definition of low carb is completely different than what people here tend to think of as low carb.

Yeah, and so many Caribbean "Low Carb" recipes are loaded up with pineapples and mangos..... So, I decided to make ceviche..... not sure my kids will love it, but I don't think they will hate it.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
Mmmmmmmmm ceviche!

Thanks for the reminder! Putting that on this weeks menu.
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I went to the local Asian/International grocery store yesterday to buy some miso, and came out with goat meat, too! I'm planning jerk goat for Saturday.
OMG GOAT MEAT!!! I grew up with that though I always refused to eat chivo as a child! Where I am from, people from the mountains ate goat LOL. Goat meat is making a HUGE comeback all over South America and the United States. I just saw a show on Goat Meat!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Sadly even the Atkins company doesn't understand low carb. Their newest frozen entree is pasta for heavens sake.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Exactly Skeeter. Most of the Atkins meals have more carbs than I eat in an entire day!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Sadly even the Atkins company doesn't understand low carb. Their newest frozen entree is pasta for heavens sake.
The Italian-Style Pasta Bake has 10 g carbs - 3 grams fiber = 7 net carbs. Not bad for a meal. It has like 5 pieces of pasta in it, literally. It's mostly sauce. Now, whether you should be eating the wheat the 5 pieces of pasta contain is another question. According to the Atkins website, it is acceptable for all phases of Atkins, which doesn't really fit their food lists. But if you're someone who cares more about macronutrients than the specific foods it can be an acceptable LC meal.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I get goat meat at my local Asian market as well.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Ok, I guess what we here at LCF think of as LC is much different than what most people think LC is..... I was just looking for a good LC Caribbean recipe for tonight and other than jerk chicken or something like jerk chicken it was rather sparse so I was rather sad....... But then you do find a recipe and it looks good, and then it finishes up with "serve with white rice"!

Granted, nobody has to have the rice, but why list a recipe as LC, and then say "serve over white rice"?

I must say though, that I really miss eating Caribbean food. I like jerk chicken, but Caribbean food is so much more than that.

Not looking for anybody to post recipes in this thread, though. Just lamenting the lack of options and the irony.
It was even worse in 1972 . Thats when I remember the first one. It wasn't any better in 1997 I think that when I found it.

Todays low carber really has it good. When you learn how to change a recipe ( and you will ) from HC that you loved and change it to low carb . Please share with us.

If there is some that you really want to put up and we will change it for you.

Some you can LC some you can't but we will try.I think our food it a lot better now than years ago.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 08-01-2013 at 05:53 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Agreed, Esther!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post

I do know what you mean. I have to tell you thought that this forum, and the wonderful cooks here, have been a Godsend to me. I've learned so much. I can't think of anything I can't eat on this WOE with some modifications. Like Esther said, if there's something you want to modify and aren't sure, post here and we'll help you.

As for the dishes that say to serve over rice, I'd serve it over either Miracle Rice or cauliflower rice. I also recently made a rice from jicama that was tasty. I know it isn't quite the same as HC rice, but they are tasty nonetheless.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'm an island girl, born in Jamaica so rice is the one thing I truly miss on low carb. Anyhoo, I eat a lot of Jamaican dishes on low carb. I know you said you weren't looking for recipes but here are a few ideas for you for eating Jamaican food low carb style.

Escoveitch Fish and Festival - Popular dish on the beaches in Jamaica
See my low carb fried dumplings post - Festival is a sweet version of the traditional fried dumpling

[IMG][/IMG]
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...nny-cakes.html

Escoveitch can be added to chicken as well. Its a spicy vinegar based sauce. I like short cuts so I buy the bottled version. You can find it in Caribbean grocery stores or grocery stores that carry Caribbean foods. I've seen it in Publix and Walmart.

I've also done a post on Jamaican Chocolate Tea - The best hot chocolate drink in the world in my opinion.

I've made low carb Jamaican beef patties using Mama Lupe's Tortillas as the crust. I've also made my own crust using LC biscuit flour.

Most Jamaican foods are naturally low carb, except for the rice and plantains so its super simple for me to stay on plan. Don't know about other Caribbean dishes though.

Rundown - Usually mackerel cooked in coconut milk but you can use another type of fish but its best with salted mackerel in my opinion. Usually eaten with boiled dumplings, boiled bananas, plantains and avocado. I eat it with avocado or occasionally eggplant that I slice very thinly and bake and sprinkle a little sugar sub on top. Reminds me of plantains.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 08-02-2013 at 07:13 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote