Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
HAVING TO GIVE UP ALL WHEAT...HELP

NEED HELP....

RECIPES?...

A SHOULDER TO CRY ON?

I HAD SOME GOOD RECIPES FROM THIS GROUP OF FAB PEOPLE AND THOUGHT I COULD MAKE DO WITH THIS WOE BUT NOW I'M CONFUSED AGAIN, CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

WHEAT IS CAUSING ME LOTS OF PROBLEMS SO ITS GOTTA GO, BUT NOW WHAT DO I DO ABOUT WHEAT FOODS...ESPECIALLY LOW CARB FOODS?

CAN I STILL USE THE "BTF" RECIPES THAT I LOVE?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME,
RECIPES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
ELAINE
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I can suggest maybe checking out Paleo recipes and gluten free recipes.
There are several members here who do not eat wheat, so hopefully they will show up and lead the way for you.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-27-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trashbox
Yeah wheat (gluten) and casein in milk are bad news for some people even tiny amounts of the proteins cause chaos in some people. They blow up like balloons and get immune madness just all of a sudden.

I have got dodgy mast cells and for some odd reason they both mess me up. Most people do not react though if they keep it sensible. I don't have any definable disease from them but know they mess me up. I feel much better avoiding gluten and casein as much as I can.

The biggest prob is ingredients like soy sauce etc low carbers use has wheat in it and some dairy they use has casein. This is a tricky! I have found I can have small amounts so not an issue as I can tolerate many low carb receipts as they are VERY low in both of these often - but if you can't have any it is "only" Palaeolithic diet cook books to turn to. They are very bland which is why I prefer low carb. Being a caveman once you have experienced wheat is not easy.
trashbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Yes you can eat BTF mix. Unless you have other problems like me.

Ya can't eat any of Kevins recipes. But there are lots on here.

I'm allergic to all grains and others. There is lots of low carb you can do.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ClaireR
So my dad is on the same diet, avoiding all wheat. Oopsie rolls are a life saver. They are gluten and wheat free. Not to mention the texture is amazing! I love making some healthy turkey sloppy joe meat and using the oopsie rolls as buns. A true lifesaver!

~Claire
ClaireR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Hi,

I know what you're going through. I was recently told I had a wheat allergy and should mostly avoid it. When the doctor told me, I actually cried right there in his office. It has honestly turned into a blessing of sorts because I eat a lot cleaner now. Unless you have nut allergies, there are many recipes here you can eat and love that are wheat-free and delicious.

Peggy (buttoni on LCF), and LindaSue (her name here on the forum) are just two of many amazing cooks that have so many recipes you can eat. I have found so many blogs and recipes and am really enjoying this LC way of eating without the wheat Give it some time. When you see that you really can still eat basically anything you enjoyed before, with modifications, not eating wheat won't feel so bad. Since I've mostly stopped eating wheat, my skin has improved and I feel I have more energy. I'm also losing weight, though some of that, if not much, is aided by the fact that I workout.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
A good soy sauce sub is a product called coconut aminos. No wheat in it at all

Wheat Belly cookbook is a good one plus lots of good info of why wheat has become such a no-no.

I found dh a funny shirt that has the logo wheat is murder. It gets lots of attention when he wears it and has sent some peeps down the path of a no wheat diet.

In this day and age you can find all kinds of support and recipes for this way of life

Good Health to Ya
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
When I am baking I use almond flour. When converting a recipe from wheat to almond flour there is a rule of thumb that I follow......

If a recipe calls for 1 cup of flour sub 2 cups of almond flour
And reduce the fat in the recipe by 1/2....almonds have a lot of fat. Simple recipes work best.

For breading to fry with mix 1/2 crushed pork rinds and 1/2 almond flour...this is good for fish as well

For making gravy when you fry meat, pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of the grease you fried in then pour a couple of cups of heavy cream into the hot pan. Then cook the cream to reduce and thicken it. Season with salt and pepper and serve over the meat. Makes the best gravy you'll ever eat.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
When I am baking I use almond flour. When converting a recipe from wheat to almond flour there is a rule of thumb that I follow......

And reduce the fat in the recipe by 1/2....almonds have a lot of fat. Simple recipes work best.

For breading to fry with mix 1/2 crushed pork rinds and 1/2 almond flour...this is good for fish as well

For making gravy when you fry meat, pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of the grease you fried in then pour a couple of cups of heavy cream into the hot pan. Then cook the cream to reduce and thicken it. Season with salt and pepper and serve over the meat. Makes the best gravy you'll ever eat.
This is excellent information!

Tracy
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate it.
Elaine
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:

:

Chicken lady? Do you do any baking with coconut flour?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post

Chicken lady? Do you do any baking with coconut flour?
No, I'm not really that fond of coconut flour for baking but I do use it as a binder when making things like meatloaf or salmon patties. Like this recipe...

I follow low carb to control my diabetes so I don't have to be as strict as someone who is trying to lose weight....so instead of using cornmeal you would want to use the almond flour/pork rind mixture to fry your patties.

Salmon Patties

1 can – drained – Wild Alaskan Sockeye Red Salmon (my favorite)
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Seasoned Salt
Pinch of Old Bay

Mix the eggs and the coconut flour together until you have the consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes. Mix egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Form patties, coat with popcorn meal or some other whole grain cornmeal and fry.

Makes 4 large patties.

The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Howdy Chicken Lady

It is always so pleasant to see you on here.
I have made your salmon patties and they are delish.
Wonderful advice from everyone.

I ordered some sun flower seeds and ground them to a flour.
Also got some pecan meal and as soon as the garden starts
dying back, I'll probably try my hand at some baking.

No wheat or sugar for me and I'm getting along just fine.
Advice: Try Linda Sue's Pound Cake.......
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
if you like soy sauce, you can look at Tamari sauce, or La Choy soy sauce is gluten free (yay!!!)

but watch Teriyaki sauce you dont make yourself
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
It is always so pleasant to see you on here.
I have made your salmon patties and they are delish.
Wonderful advice from everyone.

I ordered some sun flower seeds and ground them to a flour.
Also got some pecan meal and as soon as the garden starts
dying back, I'll probably try my hand at some baking.

No wheat or sugar for me and I'm getting along just fine.
Advice: Try Linda Sue's Pound Cake.......
Hey, it's great to see you as well. My son is doing so much better...he's out of his wheelchair, doing his physical therapy and up actually helping with the chores around the house. You have no idea how happy we all are.

I also have two new grand-babies one girl and one boy. The girl was born March 1st and the boy was born May 28th. My hippy daughters both used mid-wives and had their babies at home. Thank God they were both quick easy births and we had two big healthy babies.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, I'm not really that fond of coconut flour for baking but I do use it as a binder when making things like meatloaf or salmon patties. Like this recipe...

I follow low carb to control my diabetes so I don't have to be as strict as someone who is trying to lose weight....so instead of using cornmeal you would want to use the almond flour/pork rind mixture to fry your patties.

Salmon Patties

1 can – drained – Wild Alaskan Sockeye Red Salmon (my favorite)
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Seasoned Salt
Pinch of Old Bay

Mix the eggs and the coconut flour together until you have the consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes. Mix egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Form patties, coat with popcorn meal or some other whole grain cornmeal and fry.

Makes 4 large patties.

OMG, those look super nommie How much oil do you use to fry them? I haven't done a lot of frying in oil to date. TIA.

Tracy
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
OMG, those look super nommie How much oil do you use to fry them? I haven't done a lot of frying in oil to date. TIA.

Tracy
Just enough in the bottom of the pan to come about half way up the side of the patties. It doesn't take much.

I used to try to stay away from frying my food back in my high carb days but now I fry a lot. Since your not trying to stay away from fat anymore fried food makes me feel very pampered and satisfied. I got a deep fryer for Christmas a couple of years ago and I just love it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Phancy
Yum!

Quote:
Just enough in the bottom of the pan to come about half way up the side of the patties. It doesn't take much.

I used to try to stay away from frying my food back in my high carb days but now I fry a lot. Since your not trying to stay away from fat anymore fried food makes me feel very pampered and satisfied. I got a deep fryer for Christmas a couple of years ago and I just love it.
Thank you!
Phancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
you could to the many Celiac sites for recipes and adjust some for low carb.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote