Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars recipe, and advice needed

Hello everyone. I found this recipe on Facebook, and wanted to try to substitute the flour and brown sugar in the best way, while keeping best taste possible. I'm not worried about the apples or the oats.

I thought I'd ask the opinion of you more experienced bakers on the forum. I know there are some very good cooks on here. Between the streusel, and the crust, there are 3 cups of flour, 1.5 cups of brown sugar, and 3/4 cup regular sugar to deal with. My questions are:

1.) Should I substitute artificial sweetener with the asked for brown sugar cup for cup? I have the following 3 sweeteners in the house:

1.5 lb. bag of "Truvia baking blend"
9.7 oz. bag of "Stevia in The Raw"
about 2 cups of granulaued Splenda

That's a pretty good mix. The Truvia Baking Blend lists ingredients as: erythritol, sugar, and stevia leaf extract (in that order). It claims 75% less calories than sugar, but the 1/2 tsp. serving size only says less than 1 gm. sugar, and less than 1 gm. erythritol...so hard for me to really figure if I'm saving anything?? Maybe half and half Stevia and Splenda??

2.) I really have no clue what to use for the regular flour. I have "Bobs Red Mill" Golden Flaxseed Meal and Almond Meal / Flour. I can go purchase something better if anyone has a recommendation. I appreciate anyone's input. Hope someone likes the recipe too.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

Ingredients

Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Apples:

3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
Drizzle:

1/2 cup caramel topping for drizzling after baked

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or 2 forks) until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 9x13 baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
4. In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.
5. For the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. I like to really combine it by using my clean hands to thoroughly combine the butter into the mixture.
6. Sprinkle Streusel topping over apples. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping and let cool. Serve cold and enjoy! Make 16 servings.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
That recipe sounds good. I use a combination of sweeteners mixed together so the amount used varies depending on the sweetness of the mixture. I would start with about half as much and then sweeten to taste. There are recipe on the forums for making brown sugar sub using a small amount of molasses mixed with splenda so you could mix that up and sub for the brown sugar, again, I would start with less and then add to taste.
The flour is a bit trickier to sub. I am sure that someone on here will help you with that, but you could sub some almond meal I just don't know how much.
I use oat bran instead of oatmeal to increase fiber (I think carbs are about the same though)
Check out Jennifer Eloff's recipes for her baking mixes, which should sub for the flour.
Hope that helps. Good luck!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Thank you jlp. I will check some of the other cheesecake recipes, and see if there is a common mix of sweeteners most prefer. After I posted this question yesterday, I went out and bought some coconut flour, and some garbanzo bean flour. Now I will read up on the different flours and start experimenting I guess? I have read that you may need to add or subtract liquid from certain recipes depending on the flour sub you are using. It seems like every recipe I find, I'm missing something from the original.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Hi,

I am going to give you some feedback as best I can here:

Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour (sub almond flour/meal. If you'd like a graham cracker tasting crust, mix half almond flour with half flax meal
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (sub either Splenda brown sugar baking mix or something like DiabetiSweet brown sugar sub. See the box for the amount you'd need to equal 1/2 cup of the real thing.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided (sub Truvia, or liquid sucralose. Liquid sucralose is zero carb
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Apples:

3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (sub either Splenda brown sugar baking mix or something like DiabetiSweet brown sugar sub
1 cup all-purpose flour (sub almond flour/meal
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
Drizzle:

1/2 cup caramel topping for drizzling after baked (sub sf caramel syrup or topping

Now, there are other ways to do this. You could use a mix of almond flour and coconut flour. I believe that would reduce the carb count. You could also sub a small amount of oat fiber for part of the flour. Just don't go too crazy with the oat fiber as it could lead to a bathroom issue in larger quantities for some. If you use coconut flour, you will need to increase the amount of butter as that's a thirsty flour. How much you'd need to increase the liquid would depend upon the flour mix you decide upon.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and I and some of the other members will be happy to help

The recipe sounds delicious. I may try it myself.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Just want to mention that Splenda Brown Sugar is 1/2 real sugar.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Just want to mention that Splenda Brown Sugar is 1/2 real sugar.
Yeah, I know. I used it before I didn't know of a better alternative. I know about Diabetisweet. Which do you use, Soobee?

Tracy
Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I was looking at this yesterday and there is a lot stuff to change.

I would use the BTF mix or Jen's gluten free mix for the flour. Both would work .

Tracy you did a good job. The best we have come for a brown sugar sub is black strap mollasses ( 1 tsp. ) and Erythitol , or Xylitol, or Truvia.

Please don't use the Splenda blend or Truvia blend . They have sugar!!!!!!!
You can make a strusel with cinnamon , butter , 1 tsp. molasses and Eyrthitol and almond flour. I've done this.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-28-2013 at 01:47 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I was looking at this yesterday and there is a lot stuff to change.

I would use the BTF mix or Jen's gluten free mix for the flour. Both would work .

Tracy you did a good job. The best we have come for a brown sugar sub is black strap mollasses ( 1 tsp. ) and Erythitol , or Xylitol, or Truvia.

Please don't use the Splenda blend or Truvia blend . They have sugar!!!!!!!
You can make a strusel with cinnamon , butter , 1 tsp. molasses and Eyrthitol and almond flour. I've done this.
Hi Esther

Could you elaborate on the black strap molasses blend for brown sugar? 1 tsp of molasses with how much of one of the other alternative sweetners? How much sugar does it sub for?

As for the Splenda blend, I have used it. I use other things too like erythritol, xylitol, liquid sucralose. It depends upon what I am making.

I haven't used the Truvia blend. I have the regular Truvia though I haven't used it yet. Can I use the regular Truvia in baking?

I'd also like to know how you make that streusal. It sounds good.

Tracy
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
Hi Esther

Could you elaborate on the black strap molasses blend for brown sugar? 1 tsp of molasses with how much of one of the other alternative sweetners? How much sugar does it sub for?

As for the Splenda blend, I have used it. I use other things too like erythritol, xylitol, liquid sucralose. It depends upon what I am making.

I haven't used the Truvia blend. I have the regular Truvia though I haven't used it yet. Can I use the regular Truvia in baking?

I'd also like to know how you make that streusal. It sounds good.

Tracy
Hi Tracy

We have many recipes that use brown sugar and what has worked for many of us is Blackstrap molasses added to your recipe. 1 tsp but not more than 1 Tablespoon of Blackstrap molasses, that usally in enough.

Truvia is great in baking.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote