Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   "Rotel" tomatoes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808660-rotel-tomatoes.html)

islegirl 07-25-2013 05:55 AM

"Rotel" tomatoes?

I found a few recipes on this wonderful site which call for "Rotel" canned tomatoes and I don't know what they are. What would be the equivalent here in Canada? Are they simply canned stewed tomatoes, or plain or tomatoes with something added i.e. peppers and onions? I want to make a recipe I found for baby back ribs which sounds just awesome along with a BBQ sauce listed in the same thread. Thanks.:)

Patience 07-25-2013 06:02 AM

It's a brand, with several variations. My favorite is a spicey version and one with green chiles. I haven't bought for a number of years, but that is my recollection and that they were tasty.

Snickygirl 07-25-2013 06:12 AM

Classic Rotel is diced tomatoes and diced green chilis.

Aleina 07-25-2013 06:21 AM

There are two kinds of Rotel, just crushed tomatoes and some have jalapeņo peppers mixed in . If you like spicy food you can use a mix of normal canned diced or crushed tomatoes and add cayenne pepper or jalapeņos if you have them. I treid the brand and found them to be no different than other toms in cans.

islegirl 07-25-2013 08:19 AM

Thanks ladies. Now I know what to look for. I also found some recipes for "homemade" rotel tomatoes which I might try since we are going to have a big crop of them from the garden.

Dottie 07-25-2013 08:22 AM

Found a recipe:

1 1/2 quarts peeled chopped seeded tomatoes (about 4lbs)
12 jalapenos or 12 hot chili peppers, diced
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Place in 4 quart saucepan, and simmer until reduced to 1 quart.
(Measure 1 quart water into saucepan in advance, and mark on outside of pan, to help you judge).
The cans at the grocers are 10oz in size, so freeze in 1 cup portions.
This way you can adjust the hot peppers to suit yourself, and making small batches is so easy!
Remember, freezing makes the peppers hotter.

JHoberer 07-25-2013 08:32 AM

Just buy a can of diced tomatoes and a can of diced green chilies. Coming from Texas- jalapenos just aren't the same. Good, but not Ro-tel.

Dottie 07-25-2013 09:02 AM

True. The original ro*tel has green chilis, but they have habanero and jalapeno versions, too.
I guess you could use any chili you like, if you're making your own:)
I would probably add some cilantro or cumin as well, since that's my personal preference ;)

tyler43836 07-25-2013 12:00 PM

I make my own with chipotle instead of green chili or jalapenos. Nice smoky spicy flavor!

rosethorns 07-25-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler43836 (Post 16530911)
I make my own with chipotle instead of green chili or jalapenos. Nice smoky spicy flavor!

I make them like this when I can my tomatos. I can't wait. I also make homemade BBQ sauce, and ketchup.

islegirl 07-26-2013 04:27 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I'm making my shopping list. Today we're making (in the slow cooker) the chicken recipe with cream cheese, salsa and pepperoncini peppers. Husband (not a low carber) loves this and it's easy!