Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Apple Blueberry Skillet Cobbler (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808580-apple-blueberry-skillet-cobbler.html)

lgpars 07-23-2013 04:43 PM

Apple Blueberry Skillet Cobbler

I found this recipe online and low-carbed it using Carbquik and artificial sweeteners and it turned out very good. I would have liked it to have more juice in the finished product but it was good. Even my non low-carbing hubby liked it.

Apple Blueberry Skillet Cobbler

Preparation Time:10 min

Cooking Time:40 min

Ingredients
3 apples, peeled and diced
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 tablespoon butter, diced

FOR THE SWEET BISCUIT TOPPING:
1 1/4 cups Bisquick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed (I used brown Whey-Low)
4 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon sugar, mixed with a pinch of cinnamon (to sprinkle on top)

Instructions

1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (or 205 degrees C) and spray a 9 1/2-inch cast iron skillet with nonstick spray then place the skillet onto a foil lined baking sheet just encase anything spills over during the baking process.
2.In a small bowl stir together the granulated sugar, water, cornstarch and apple pie spice until well mixed and lump free. Place the apples into the skillet then pour this mixture over the apples and dot the top with 1 tablespoon of diced butter and bake for 20 minutes.
3.In the meantime, to make the biscuit topping, in a medium bowl combine the chilled diced butter with the Bisquick and begin to pinch the butter and Bisquick between your fingers until you've got a crumbly mixture. You could use a pastry blender or two knives instead of your fingers if you want. Add the brown sugar and continue pinching until you have a coarse sandy texture with butter pieces about the size of lentils.
4.Using a rubber spatula, stir the milk and beaten eggs into the dry ingredients until just combined but don’t over-mix.
5.Once the 20 minutes has elapsed on the apples, remove them from the oven. They’ll have a dry appearance on top until you stir the syrupy juice up from the bottom. Add the berries and stir gently to evenly distribute.
6.Spoon the batter over the apple blueberry mixture covering the top almost completely leaving only a few small holes. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top and bake for an additional 16 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool the skillet until it’s just warm before serving.

That Girl 07-24-2013 08:05 PM

I wonder how much lower the carb count would be if I used Chyote (sp?) in place of the apples? Sounds delish, will try tomorrow! Thanks

tyler43836 07-25-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 16530070)
I wonder how much lower the carb count would be if I used Chyote (sp?) in place of the apples? Sounds delish, will try tomorrow! Thanks

I'd love to know how this turned out using chayote.

lgpars 07-25-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 16530070)

I'm just trying to eat as low-carb as I can without counting carbs so I did not think what little apple I get with each piece would be too bad. Let me know how the squash turned out. I was very surprised that the Carbquik did not have that funky taste it has sometimes like with bisquits. It must have been the brown sugar substitute that cut out that taste. Anyway, I thought it was very good.

That Girl 07-26-2013 09:13 AM

I forgot to get the squash when I went shopping.....on my bucket list for this sometime!