Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   LC Condensed Milk w/tagatose (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808492-lc-condensed-milk-w-tagatose.html)

mirinblue 07-22-2013 09:18 AM

LC Condensed Milk w/tagatose

I have seen references to condensed milk made with media crema and tagatose...but where is the recipe? I can find many, but not this one. Thanks

Pami 07-22-2013 10:33 AM

I don't have a link or anything, but it's 1/2 cup Tagatose to a can of the Crema.

Heat to a simmer, until it's appropriately thickened, and Tagatose is dissolved.

Cool before using.

Divabunny 07-22-2013 11:10 AM

It's in the "Got Tagatose" thread. Thanks for the reminder I'm so making some coconut paletas later.

Charski 07-22-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divabunny (Post 16526171)
It's in the "Got Tagatose" thread. Thanks for the reminder I'm so making some coconut paletas later.

Recipe Please! :D

dlk35 07-22-2013 05:33 PM

Here is the tagatose link http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-tagatose.html

Divabunny 07-22-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16526511)
Recipe Please! :D

This is the recipe I use, easy peasy.

1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 cup condensed milk
1 handful unsweetened coconut flakes

mix, pour in molds, freeze, yum!

These are very creamy, you can easily adjust this recipe if you want it lighter, but I like them rich :)

Charski 07-23-2013 11:14 AM

Wow, thank you, DB - sounds sooooo good!

Dottie 07-23-2013 01:52 PM

I was playing with the recipe for the condensed milk and ended up with a great salted caramel sauce, but at 187 cals per tablespoon, it's definitely something to think about.
*I say this makes 11 Tablespoons, but it's rough because it depends on how much you reduce it.

Sugar Free Salted Caramel

Ingredients

15 tbsp Media Crema- Table Cream (1 can)
1/2 cup presweet tagatose
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/4 tsp sea salt (or more)

Directions

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, crema and tagatose.
Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by about 1/3 and darkened to a caramel color (takes about 6-7 minutes).
Don't rush it, use a silicon spatula or wooden spoon to stir often.
Let cool slightly and pour into a small (6x6) buttered pan or a bowl.
Sprinkle coarse sea salt lightly on top and chill.

This doesn't set as hard as a caramel, it's more like a very dense sauce (you can cut it but not pick it up).

Amount per Serving (1 Tablespoon)
Calories 187
Calories from Fat 167.0
Total Fat 18.55g
Saturated Fat 13.73g
Cholesterol 46.36mg
Sodium 78.03mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.27g
Dietary Fiber 1.09g
Sugars 0g

Divabunny 07-23-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16528092)
I was playing with the recipe for the condensed milk and ended up with a great salted caramel sauce, but at 187 cals per tablespoon, it's definitely something to think about.
*I say this makes 11 Tablespoons, but it's rough because it depends on how much you reduce it.

Sugar Free Salted Caramel

Ingredients

15 tbsp Media Crema- Table Cream (1 can)
1/2 cup presweet tagatose
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/4 tsp sea salt (or more)

Directions

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, crema and tagatose.
Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by about 1/3 and darkened to a caramel color (takes about 6-7 minutes).
Don't rush it, use a silicon spatula or wooden spoon to stir often.
Let cool slightly and pour into a small (6x6) buttered pan or a bowl.
Sprinkle coarse sea salt lightly on top and chill.

This doesn't set as hard as a caramel, it's more like a very dense sauce (you can cut it but not pick it up).

Amount per Serving (1 Tablespoon)
Calories 187
Calories from Fat 167.0
Total Fat 18.55g
Saturated Fat 13.73g
Cholesterol 46.36mg
Sodium 78.03mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.27g
Dietary Fiber 1.09g
Sugars 0g

This sounds amazing, I will be making this. The caramel sauce I make with water, is good, but I want something nice and thick this sounds right up my alley :)

BTW how did you come up with the carb count - I get 1.36 per TB. The can I have is 15 for the entire can and everything else is 0 carbs?

Dottie 07-23-2013 02:44 PM

dailyplate didn't have the tagatose in the system, so I found the stevia blend that was closest in calories and carbs, but (of course) it includes all the calories and carbs from it in the totals.

If I could figure out how to harden this, slightly, it would make an excellent soft caramel.

Dottie 07-24-2013 02:09 PM

Sadly, tagatose is off the list for me.
I've eaten it twice (less than a tablespoon each time) and both times I've gotten severe indigestion, an upset stomach and a massive headache.
I also have this same reaction to xylitol.

mirinblue 07-25-2013 08:31 AM

Great! thanks...the 1/2 cup tagatose is the answer! perfect...:newbie:

alonewithyou 07-30-2013 06:53 AM

May I ask If unsweetened condensed milk from the store would work as a base? Then add tagatos and such. I realize we actually have unsweetened condensed milk in Norway! It's 10 carbs per 100 grams. Not too bad I guess??

Smiles 07-30-2013 07:22 PM

Kevinpa had a great recipe for sweetened condensed milk that I have personally used in my no bake pies and cheesecake. Turned out beautifully.

This is the recipe as Kevin wrote it:

"2 cans 7.6 oz Nestle Media Crema
1/4 cup powdered whole eggs
1 splenda quick pack

Whisk to combine."

When I made it, I used liquid sucralose in place of the Splenda quick pack. This amount makes enough to sub for a roughly 15 oz can of sweetened condensed milk. What I like about his recipe is that you could probably use pretty much any sweetener you want.

Tracy

alonewithyou 07-31-2013 03:27 AM

Cool. I don't know what table cream would be in Norway though. Thanks anyways!