Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Blee87
Please help!

I had planned on making a yummy chicken parm dish this weekend cause I"m looking for a low carb sauce and I can't find it anywhere. It's hunts no sugar added Italian baking sauce. I live in pa so I tried the local giant eagle and community market. Any ideas?
Blee87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
You might try this one

PARMESAN CHICKEN
3 large boneless chicken breasts
2 ounces parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup
2 ounces almond flour, 1/2 cup
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup oil, or as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons spaghetti sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Cut each chicken breast in half to make 2 servings from each; cover with plastic wrap and flatten. Mix 1/2 cup parmesan, almond flour, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish or pie plate. Put the beaten egg in a separate shallow dish or pie plate. Dip each chicken breast in egg to coat, then lightly coat them with parmesan-almond mixture. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken in hot oil until browned and the meat is almost done, but still slightly pink in the center.

Place the chicken breasts in a foil-lined and greased rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Top each with 1 tablespoon of spaghetti sauce, then 1/6 of the mozzarella. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese. Bake at 350║ about 20 minutes until chicken is done and cheese is melted and bubbly.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 400 Calories; 25g Fat; 39g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

PARMESAN CHICKEN - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes[/url]

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)

Last edited by lgpars; 07-20-2013 at 11:32 AM..
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Blee87
I have that recipe but can't find the sauce anywhere
Blee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Neither can I, any more. Use the lowest carb spaghetti sauce or marinara that you can find.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Are any of these brands available to you in your grocery store? These are all no sugar added Sauces that I've used

Ragu Light - Not fond of this. Used this when I was new to low carbing but I've found better sauces since that time. This one is cheap though.

Silver Plate - Used to only get this at a specialty market but my local Krogers now carries it. 4 grams of carbs per serving and its pretty good

Gia Russa - A bit on the pricy side. But pretty good stuff

Do you have a Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx or Home Goods? They sometimes have no sugar added sauces. I've found a few goodies there.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I live near Philly, and I know I have seen reduced sugar marinara sauce at more than 1 place. I make my own, though.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I'd use canned or boxed tomato puree and add garlic and onion powder, salt, and some oregano or Italian herb blend. That's all they do to make the sauce commercially, and you can control the added ingredients this way.

If you want to try that, try to find tomato puree that doesn't start with tomato paste and water as its first two ingredients though. You may as well start with tomato paste if that's all you can find.

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-21-2013 at 05:58 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
My favorite sauce is store bought spaghetti sauce Classico. It does not have added sugar
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
My favorite sauce is store bought spaghetti sauce Classico. It does not have added sugar
Which variety? I'm looking on their website and every one I have looked at has sugar as an ingredient.

I use Ragu Light No Sugar Added Tomato Basil when I need to use spaghetti sauce, but I use it sparingly and infrequently. It tastes fine to me, but I am open to trying other brands.

ETA: Ok, I see the Classico Tomato & Basil and Roasted Garlic do not have sugar on the ingredient list. It has fewer carbs than the Ragu Light No Sugar Added, too. Might try it, thanks.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-21-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Which variety? I'm looking on their website and every one I have looked at has sugar as an ingredient.

I use Ragu Light No Sugar Added Tomato Basil when I need to use spaghetti sauce, but I use it sparingly and infrequently. It tastes fine to me, but I am open to trying other brands.

ETA: Ok, I see the Classico Tomato & Basil does not have sugar on the ingredient list. Might try it, thanks.
Roasted Garlic is my favorite. Weird is that their pizza sauce does have sugar in it.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
When you have a chance, you may want to order a couple jars of Bella Vita Pasta Sauce from Netrition. I really like the Roasted Garlic one. A bit pricey - 3.99 a jar but 4 carbs per serving so worth it.

From Netrition site:

"Bella Vita Low Carb Pasta Sauces Bella Vita
Low Carb Pasta Sauces

Bella Vita (Italian for "Beautiful Life") is made from succulent, vine-ripened sweet plum tomatoes, and is simmered in extra virgin olive oil.

Bella Vita sauces have only 4g net carbs per serving, are cholesterol free and are OU Kosher Pareve. Now you can enjoy healthy, all natural, low carb pasta dishes with plenty of pleasure...and none of the guilt. Now that's a beautiful life."

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-21-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
I also live in PA. I purchase Giant's brand of Marinara sauce (ENJOY is in the title). I am at work so I can't check but I think it is SIMPLY ENJOY. Anyway, 2 carbs per 1/2 cup.
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote