Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Please help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808377-please-help.html)

Blee87 07-20-2013 09:47 AM

Please help!

I had planned on making a yummy chicken parm dish this weekend cause I"m looking for a low carb sauce and I can't find it anywhere. It's hunts no sugar added Italian baking sauce. I live in pa so I tried the local giant eagle and community market. Any ideas?

lgpars 07-20-2013 10:28 AM

You might try this one

PARMESAN CHICKEN
3 large boneless chicken breasts
2 ounces parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup
2 ounces almond flour, 1/2 cup
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup oil, or as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons spaghetti sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Cut each chicken breast in half to make 2 servings from each; cover with plastic wrap and flatten. Mix 1/2 cup parmesan, almond flour, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish or pie plate. Put the beaten egg in a separate shallow dish or pie plate. Dip each chicken breast in egg to coat, then lightly coat them with parmesan-almond mixture. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken in hot oil until browned and the meat is almost done, but still slightly pink in the center.

Place the chicken breasts in a foil-lined and greased rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Top each with 1 tablespoon of spaghetti sauce, then 1/6 of the mozzarella. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes until chicken is done and cheese is melted and bubbly.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 400 Calories; 25g Fat; 39g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

PARMESAN CHICKEN - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes[/url]

Blee87 07-20-2013 10:31 AM

I have that recipe but can't find the sauce anywhere

Soobee 07-20-2013 12:01 PM

Neither can I, any more. Use the lowest carb spaghetti sauce or marinara that you can find.

tulipsandroses 07-20-2013 07:02 PM

Are any of these brands available to you in your grocery store? These are all no sugar added Sauces that I've used

Ragu Light - Not fond of this. Used this when I was new to low carbing but I've found better sauces since that time. This one is cheap though.

Silver Plate - Used to only get this at a specialty market but my local Krogers now carries it. 4 grams of carbs per serving and its pretty good

Gia Russa - A bit on the pricy side. But pretty good stuff

Do you have a Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx or Home Goods? They sometimes have no sugar added sauces. I've found a few goodies there.

Garlic 07-20-2013 07:19 PM

I live near Philly, and I know I have seen reduced sugar marinara sauce at more than 1 place. I make my own, though.

dianafoot 07-21-2013 04:57 AM

I'd use canned or boxed tomato puree and add garlic and onion powder, salt, and some oregano or Italian herb blend. That's all they do to make the sauce commercially, and you can control the added ingredients this way.

If you want to try that, try to find tomato puree that doesn't start with tomato paste and water as its first two ingredients though. You may as well start with tomato paste if that's all you can find.

SkeeterN 07-21-2013 06:42 AM

My favorite sauce is store bought spaghetti sauce Classico. It does not have added sugar

Mistizoom 07-21-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16524588)
My favorite sauce is store bought spaghetti sauce Classico. It does not have added sugar

Which variety? I'm looking on their website and every one I have looked at has sugar as an ingredient.

I use Ragu Light No Sugar Added Tomato Basil when I need to use spaghetti sauce, but I use it sparingly and infrequently. It tastes fine to me, but I am open to trying other brands.

ETA: Ok, I see the Classico Tomato & Basil and Roasted Garlic do not have sugar on the ingredient list. It has fewer carbs than the Ragu Light No Sugar Added, too. Might try it, thanks.

SkeeterN 07-21-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16524651)
Which variety? I'm looking on their website and every one I have looked at has sugar as an ingredient.

I use Ragu Light No Sugar Added Tomato Basil when I need to use spaghetti sauce, but I use it sparingly and infrequently. It tastes fine to me, but I am open to trying other brands.

ETA: Ok, I see the Classico Tomato & Basil does not have sugar on the ingredient list. Might try it, thanks.

Roasted Garlic is my favorite. Weird is that their pizza sauce does have sugar in it.

Tweaker Geek 07-21-2013 06:27 PM

When you have a chance, you may want to order a couple jars of Bella Vita Pasta Sauce from Netrition. I really like the Roasted Garlic one. A bit pricey - 3.99 a jar but 4 carbs per serving so worth it.

From Netrition site:

"Bella Vita Low Carb Pasta Sauces Bella Vita
Low Carb Pasta Sauces

Bella Vita (Italian for "Beautiful Life") is made from succulent, vine-ripened sweet plum tomatoes, and is simmered in extra virgin olive oil.

Bella Vita sauces have only 4g net carbs per serving, are cholesterol free and are OU Kosher Pareve. Now you can enjoy healthy, all natural, low carb pasta dishes with plenty of pleasure...and none of the guilt. Now that's a beautiful life."

tandt 07-22-2013 10:29 AM

I also live in PA. I purchase Giant's brand of Marinara sauce (ENJOY is in the title). I am at work so I can't check but I think it is SIMPLY ENJOY. Anyway, 2 carbs per 1/2 cup.