Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sofrito Deli Melt Sandwich

If you like Stromboli sandwiches, you'll definitely like this sandwich.
I make stromboli sandwiches once in awhile and had a hankering for one today. It occurred to me to add a dab of my sofrito sauce I keep in the freezer in a sandwich bag, as a condiment. MAN, I’ve discovered a wonderful thing! That stuff is fantastic with deli meat and cheese! This sandwich is suitable for all phases of Atkins and other ketogenic diets. It is not suitable for Paleo-Primal dining.

VARIATION: Chopped black olives or black and pimento stuffed green both added would be tasty, making it more like a muffaletta sandwich.

Don’t be too quick to write this baby off as being a little too high carb before checking out the macros below. The carb price brings with it considerable nutrition. As with any processed meats, if you can afford the better quality, lower sodium stuff, like Boar’s Head, by all means, use that. As all deli meats and cheese carry a heavy sodium load, be sure to drink lots of water on days you indulge in them.

INGREDIENTS:

2 slices of my Gluten-Free Grain-Free Focaccia Bread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cia-bread.html
1 tsp. (I used less) my sofrito sauce (see this recipe): http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-sofrito.html
4 wafer thin (1/16″) slices quality hard
1 wafer this slice of quality deli ham
1½ oz. grated mozzarella cheese
2 slices tomato

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. On a sheet of foil, place 1 slice of the bread. There is no magical sequence of layering the ingredients here, but this is how I do it. First I spread half the sofrito sauce thinly over the 1st slice of bread. Next, lay on 2 slices of the hard salami. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese. Place the slice of deli ham on the stack next. Spread the rest of the sofrito sauce evenly on the ham. Lay on the last 2 slices of hard salami and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Finally, place the top slice of bread. Fold up the foil, folding tightly the top and ends. Pop wrapped sandwich into the preheated 350º oven for about 1o-12 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Remove from oven, open the foil package, add your tomato slices. Serve at once. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Each sandwich contains:

623 calories
45 g fat
11.2 g carbs, 3.6 g fiber, 7.6 g NET CARBS
46 g protein
1760 mg sodium
424 mg potassium
11% RDA Vitamin A, 18% B6, 133% B12, 44% calcium, 19% iron, 16% niacin, 41% phosphorous, 24% riboflavin, 47% selenium, 25% thiamin, 34% zinc

Last edited by buttoni; 07-19-2013 at 11:38 AM..
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Looks wonderful. Did you mean hard salami?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
That looks so good. Hard salami for sure.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I mean hard salami. It reads that way on my website, I just deleted too much when I took out my double spacing posting it here. LOL Thanks, Soobee.
The sofrito really is outstanding on this type of sandwich. I was just amazed how good, quite frankly. I'm going to try the black olives in it next time.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-19-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I misstated above in that this is not suitable for Inductions. You folks still on Induction will want to sub in a flax-based bread for this as the almond flour would make this unsuitable for Induction. The Low-Carb Flax Bread on my website or the Flax Bread recipe on About website would be OK for Induction.