Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Stevia just doesn't seem to sweeten...

I have used Sweetleaf Stevia powder extract in about 10 different baking projects now and it seems to have very limited ability to sweeten. Thankfully I'm not really detecting any bitterness or nasty overtones but just a lack of sweetness. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'll throw in a little of the E to it and that will do...
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/182/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
I never found stevia sweet enough until I started mixing it with Splenda. I found that to be a very good mix.
Jackie123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
I never found stevia sweet enough until I started mixing it with Splenda. I found that to be a very good mix.
I wonder if it becomes sweeter when mixed with erythritol?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
All sweeteners seem to pack a stronger punch of sweetness in combination with 1 or 2 sweeteners. Even Dr. Atkins said this in DANDR. I have always used at least 2 mixed, and sometimes 3 different sweeteners in chocolate desserts, which I find particularly hard get sweet enough to suit me.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
My favorite mix is Erythritol, sucralose, and stevia, but any 2 will do.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
My favorite mix is Erythritol, sucralose, and stevia, but any 2 will do.
I 2nd Soobee's. My sister loves Truvia and liquid sucralose.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I wonder if it becomes sweeter when mixed with erythritol?
Yes, it would. They act synergistically.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Just remember that erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and compensate accordingly.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
The only way stevia is sweet is mixed with something. Otherwise it is just so bitter to me
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Just remember that erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and compensate accordingly.
Yea, I pretty much never use erythritol alone, I have it pre-mixed, 1 cup erythritol with 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract (no fillers). That seems to make it about equal to sugar in sweetness, cup for cup. I use NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract Powder, though it seems to be out of stock at Netrition and several other places right now.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
I have used Sweetleaf Stevia powder extract in about 10 different baking projects now and it seems to have very limited ability to sweeten. Thankfully I'm not really detecting any bitterness or nasty overtones but just a lack of sweetness. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'll throw in a little of the E to it and that will do...
Are you following the equivalents listed on the packaging? I am completely off Splenda at home and use Sweet Leaf Stevia in muffins and in my sweet tea and it's always sweet enough to me. I don't combine it with any other sugars either.

I use 1/2 tbsp sweet leaf to 1/2 cup sugar. So, if my recipe calls for a cup of sugar I use 1 tbsp sweet leaf.

I also find that it will get sweeter the next day. This is particularly true in my coffee and tea. I will add sweet leaf to my coffee as I brew it in my keurig and put it in the fridge for iced coffee the next morning. It's definitely sweeter.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Are you following the equivalents listed on the packaging? I am completely off Splenda at home and use Sweet Leaf Stevia in muffins and in my sweet tea and it's always sweet enough to me. I don't combine it with any other sugars either.

I use 1/2 tbsp sweet leaf to 1/2 cup sugar. So, if my recipe calls for a cup of sugar I use 1 tbsp sweet leaf.

I also find that it will get sweeter the next day. This is particularly true in my coffee and tea. I will add sweet leaf to my coffee as I brew it in my keurig and put it in the fridge for iced coffee the next morning. It's definitely sweeter.
I have the Sweetleaf powder extract and the conversion chart on their website says 1/3-1/2 tsp per 1 cup of sugar. So you are more than doubling their recommended amounts. I was scared to do that because I thought it would cause the bitter flavor to surface. But I guess I'll try it now that you mentioned you have, with success!

And if that doesn't work, I'm resorting to a combination of erythritol + stevia from now on, because I just tried that method today and it worked really well. I used mostly stevia and added a little bit of the E to it, and it achieved sufficient sweetness.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
I have the Sweetleaf powder extract and the conversion chart on their website says 1/3-1/2 tsp per 1 cup of sugar. So you are more than doubling their recommended amounts. I was scared to do that because I thought it would cause the bitter flavor to surface. But I guess I'll try it now that you mentioned you have, with success!

And if that doesn't work, I'm resorting to a combination of erythritol + stevia from now on, because I just tried that method today and it worked really well. I used mostly stevia and added a little bit of the E to it, and it achieved sufficient sweetness.
That information must be for a different form or incorrect. Here's what I'm using. I took the picture in my pantry! It looks like I was even wrong..lol 1 TBSP is equal to 1/2 cup.

I have never noticed an aftertaste with it. I buy them in a two pack from Amazon. I use it in my tea, coffee and baked goods and I can get a month out of each container.

Good luck!

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 07-22-2013 at 08:26 PM..
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have used several brands of stevia and was only disapointed with SweetLeaf.
It seemed it took 2 or 3 times as much as it should have well perhaps that's why
the store I bought it from had closed it out at 50% off.

Another sugar subsitute to look at is Just Like Sugar or another source of inulin fos.
This probiotic soluable fiber tast like suger and at the same time may have some health
benifits. It can however give you gas some people are bothered more by this than others. This probioitic fiber can have a positive inpact on your health. At least one
study said that people who took it daily as a supliment tended to lose a couple of pounds. Other studies indicate it may lower your blood sugar and at the same time lower LDL chlosterol, triglecerides and high blood pressure. But rember it can also give you
bas gas .....
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
The only way stevia is sweet is mixed with something. Otherwise it is just so bitter to me
I am with you. For me stevia just tastes bitter. It is funny how different people taste things.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I use the NuNaturals Alcohol Free drops but usually with another sweetener. It's the only one that didn't have a bitter taste to me.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote