Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Stevia just doesn't seem to sweeten... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808317-stevia-just-doesnt-seem-sweeten.html)

Seeking 07-19-2013 11:45 AM

Stevia just doesn't seem to sweeten...

I have used Sweetleaf Stevia powder extract in about 10 different baking projects now and it seems to have very limited ability to sweeten. Thankfully I'm not really detecting any bitterness or nasty overtones but just a lack of sweetness. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'll throw in a little of the E to it and that will do...

Jackie123 07-19-2013 12:12 PM

I never found stevia sweet enough until I started mixing it with Splenda. I found that to be a very good mix.

Seeking 07-19-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16522351)
I never found stevia sweet enough until I started mixing it with Splenda. I found that to be a very good mix.

I wonder if it becomes sweeter when mixed with erythritol?

buttoni 07-19-2013 12:21 PM

All sweeteners seem to pack a stronger punch of sweetness in combination with 1 or 2 sweeteners. Even Dr. Atkins said this in DANDR. I have always used at least 2 mixed, and sometimes 3 different sweeteners in chocolate desserts, which I find particularly hard get sweet enough to suit me.

Soobee 07-19-2013 03:15 PM

My favorite mix is Erythritol, sucralose, and stevia, but any 2 will do.

rosethorns 07-19-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16522614)
My favorite mix is Erythritol, sucralose, and stevia, but any 2 will do.

I 2nd Soobee's. My sister loves Truvia and liquid sucralose.

Mistizoom 07-19-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16522367)
I wonder if it becomes sweeter when mixed with erythritol?

Yes, it would. They act synergistically.

Soobee 07-20-2013 04:54 AM

Just remember that erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and compensate accordingly.

SkeeterN 07-20-2013 06:58 AM

The only way stevia is sweet is mixed with something. Otherwise it is just so bitter to me

Mistizoom 07-20-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16523209)
Just remember that erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and compensate accordingly.

Yea, I pretty much never use erythritol alone, I have it pre-mixed, 1 cup erythritol with 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract (no fillers). That seems to make it about equal to sugar in sweetness, cup for cup. I use NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract Powder, though it seems to be out of stock at Netrition and several other places right now.

MisticalMisty 07-21-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16522316)
I have used Sweetleaf Stevia powder extract in about 10 different baking projects now and it seems to have very limited ability to sweeten. Thankfully I'm not really detecting any bitterness or nasty overtones but just a lack of sweetness. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'll throw in a little of the E to it and that will do...

Are you following the equivalents listed on the packaging? I am completely off Splenda at home and use Sweet Leaf Stevia in muffins and in my sweet tea and it's always sweet enough to me. I don't combine it with any other sugars either.

I use 1/2 tbsp sweet leaf to 1/2 cup sugar. So, if my recipe calls for a cup of sugar I use 1 tbsp sweet leaf.

I also find that it will get sweeter the next day. This is particularly true in my coffee and tea. I will add sweet leaf to my coffee as I brew it in my keurig and put it in the fridge for iced coffee the next morning. It's definitely sweeter.

Seeking 07-22-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisticalMisty (Post 16525213)
Are you following the equivalents listed on the packaging? I am completely off Splenda at home and use Sweet Leaf Stevia in muffins and in my sweet tea and it's always sweet enough to me. I don't combine it with any other sugars either.

I use 1/2 tbsp sweet leaf to 1/2 cup sugar. So, if my recipe calls for a cup of sugar I use 1 tbsp sweet leaf.

I also find that it will get sweeter the next day. This is particularly true in my coffee and tea. I will add sweet leaf to my coffee as I brew it in my keurig and put it in the fridge for iced coffee the next morning. It's definitely sweeter.

I have the Sweetleaf powder extract and the conversion chart on their website says 1/3-1/2 tsp per 1 cup of sugar. So you are more than doubling their recommended amounts. I was scared to do that because I thought it would cause the bitter flavor to surface. But I guess I'll try it now that you mentioned you have, with success!

And if that doesn't work, I'm resorting to a combination of erythritol + stevia from now on, because I just tried that method today and it worked really well. I used mostly stevia and added a little bit of the E to it, and it achieved sufficient sweetness.

MisticalMisty 07-22-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16526827)
I have the Sweetleaf powder extract and the conversion chart on their website says 1/3-1/2 tsp per 1 cup of sugar. So you are more than doubling their recommended amounts. I was scared to do that because I thought it would cause the bitter flavor to surface. But I guess I'll try it now that you mentioned you have, with success!

And if that doesn't work, I'm resorting to a combination of erythritol + stevia from now on, because I just tried that method today and it worked really well. I used mostly stevia and added a little bit of the E to it, and it achieved sufficient sweetness.

That information must be for a different form or incorrect. Here's what I'm using. I took the picture in my pantry! It looks like I was even wrong..lol 1 TBSP is equal to 1/2 cup.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps4ce0240f.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps2918383b.jpg

I have never noticed an aftertaste with it. I buy them in a two pack from Amazon. I use it in my tea, coffee and baked goods and I can get a month out of each container.

Good luck!

E.W. 07-22-2013 10:52 PM

I have used several brands of stevia and was only disapointed with SweetLeaf.
It seemed it took 2 or 3 times as much as it should have well perhaps that's why
the store I bought it from had closed it out at 50% off.

Another sugar subsitute to look at is Just Like Sugar or another source of inulin fos.
This probiotic soluable fiber tast like suger and at the same time may have some health
benifits. It can however give you gas some people are bothered more by this than others. This probioitic fiber can have a positive inpact on your health. At least one
study said that people who took it daily as a supliment tended to lose a couple of pounds. Other studies indicate it may lower your blood sugar and at the same time lower LDL chlosterol, triglecerides and high blood pressure. But rember it can also give you
bas gas .....

LiRoGe88 08-02-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16523316)
The only way stevia is sweet is mixed with something. Otherwise it is just so bitter to me

I am with you. For me stevia just tastes bitter. It is funny how different people taste things.

watcher513 08-03-2013 01:50 AM

I use the NuNaturals Alcohol Free drops but usually with another sweetener. It's the only one that didn't have a bitter taste to me.