Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pumpkin Cookies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808200-pumpkin-cookies.html)

buttoni 07-17-2013 11:22 AM

Pumpkin Cookies

I'm finally happy enough with a pumpkin cookie attempt to post the recipe on my website. Frankly, all that have gone before in MY kitchen were dry, not sweet enough, or both! The base dough here is my Almond Butter Cookie recipe I'm so pleased with. These came out very moist and tasty. I just had to bag them up after two and put them in the freezer. The texture is soft, but not quite chewy like my Almond Butter cookies. These should freeze very nicely for you. These are not suitable until the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins carb ladder.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1 tsp. glucomannan powder
1/8 tsp. salt
tsp. baking soda
c. granular Splenda
1 T. erythritol
1 tsp. cinnamon
tsp. nutmeg
tsp. ground cloves
c. melted butter or coconut oil
2 T. almond butter
1 T. vanilla extract
c. canned pumpkin
1 egg, beaten
c. sugar-free honey

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl stir the almond butter, pumpkin and oil together until smooth. Beat in the egg, vanilla and imitation honey. Measure in all dry ingredients on top and stir well to form a smooth dough. Dough is wet, but you can slightly roll it in your palms. If your dough seems too dry or stiff and won’t hold together (coconut flours vary a lot), add 1 T. more pumpkin. Roll dough into 1″ balls and place them onto parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Press balls down slightly flat with your fingers, leaving 1″ between cookies (they don't spread much at all). Pop pan into preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes. You will think they are not quite done, as they are soft to the touch when hot. But remove from oven and do not try to lift them while hot or they will tear up. Cool completely and they will “firm up” nicely. Store leftovers in an airtight container.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 37 cookies that are about 1” in diameter, each contains:

77.6 calories
6.95 g fat
3.18 g carbs, 1.4 g fiber, 1.78 g NET CARBS
1.83 g protein
34.7 mg sodium
14.7 mg potassium

Divabunny 07-17-2013 11:43 AM

Mmmmm sound so yummy!

What kind of Sugar free Honey do you use? I've only been able to find the kind with maltitol :(

pocahontas 07-17-2013 11:49 AM

You had me at pumpkin! :D

I scanned the ingredients and thought I had everything but alas no sf honey. :cry:

buttoni 07-17-2013 02:32 PM

I love anything pumpkin, too. Diva, if I'm lazy, I just use Honey Tree I buy at Walmart, which has maltitol. When I'm being a good girl, I make it from scratch with this recipe:

Sugar-Free Honey (my tweak of Birgit Kerr's recipe)

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 c. erythritol
1 tsp. real raw honey
2 T. Honey Tree sugar-free honey (or other brand available to you)
1 packet stevia or Splenda

DIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Let it melt and keep stirring with a wooden spoon. It will bubble up quite vigorously. Let is bubble hard for about 2 minutes (it doesn’t thicken until it cools) and then remove from the heat. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and pour into a clean jelly jar. If it crystallizes over time (mine usually does), no problem. Just warm it up by letting hot warm water run over the jar a few minutes, or you can nuke it a few seconds in the microwave on DEFROST to soften it up. This honey will keep a long time on the pantry shelf.

Tweaker Geek 07-17-2013 06:56 PM

Peggy - those cookies look soooo good - I love pumpkin! In the picture they look like they'd be chewy but you say soft, not chewy. What do you think we (you:laugh:) could do differently to make them chewy? I'm copying the recipe to try later, trying not to have many sweets around right now.

buttoni 07-18-2013 08:40 AM

Tweaker, I'm thinking using only 1/4 c. pumpkin might allow the chewiness this dough usually has to make itself noticeable once again in these. At any rate, I'm going to try that next time and see what less pumpkin does to the final product. Hubby sure does like these! He's really going through them.

Smiles 07-27-2013 07:56 PM

Oh, I love pumpkin! :clap: These would be especially awesome around Thanksgiving.

Thanks, Peggy :)

Tracy

buttoni 07-28-2013 10:20 AM

We found we like to store in the freezer and eat them right out of the freezer. They're real chewy that way! :)

Smiles 07-28-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16534298)
We found we like to store in the freezer and eat them right out of the freezer. They're real chewy that way! :)

Really! That's good to know. Thanks :)

Have you ever tried putting some cream cheese frosting or drizzle over top of these? I imagine it would be yummy as a twist. :)

Tracy

buttoni 07-28-2013 11:48 AM

Well, I find them pretty sweet as is, so that might be overkill on sweetness. Bake a batch and see what YOU think on sweetness. You might like them iced.

Smiles 07-28-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16534402)
Well, I find them pretty sweet as is, so that might be overkill on sweetness. Bake a batch and see what YOU think on sweetness. You might like them iced.

That makes sense. I don't go for overly sweet things. I find that when I went low carb and started avoiding sugar, on the rare occasion that I had more sugar, it just seemed too much. If I ever did decide to ice them, to cut back on any potential overly sweet factor, I might reduce the sweetner some.

I'm sure your cookies are excellent as-is. I will definitely be giving these a try. :)

Tracy

kalatraza 07-28-2013 08:49 PM

I just tried a brownie recipe that was disastrous in flavor but the texture was chewy. It was almond flour, coconut flour, and ground psyllium husk. The only thing I've ever used the husks in are tortillas (win!) and maria's bread (gave up on that one). It might be interesting to try it in a cookie recipe like this one that you want chewier.

Has anyone used psyllium this way before?

rosethorns 07-29-2013 07:01 AM

No but that sounds interesting. Please let us know if you try it.

buttoni 07-29-2013 10:40 AM

I've done next to NO baking with psyllium husks. I know a lot of people do use it in breads and baked goods. I wouldn't know where to begin with amounts or anything, without trying a recipe someone had already cooked successfully with it.

Smiles 07-29-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16535008)
I just tried a brownie recipe that was disastrous in flavor but the texture was chewy. It was almond flour, coconut flour, and ground psyllium husk. The only thing I've ever used the husks in are tortillas (win!) and maria's bread (gave up on that one). It might be interesting to try it in a cookie recipe like this one that you want chewier.

Has anyone used psyllium this way before?

That does sound interesting. I agree with Esther and Peggy. I'd love to hear more as you experiment.

What was the brownie recipe you tried?

Tracy

buttoni 07-29-2013 06:12 PM

Is the forum in the Twilight Zone tonight? I've refreshed my screen repeatedly and the pic of these cookies is just flat GONE from post #1. I KNOW it was there! It just vanished! So here's the pic again:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/003-54.jpg

Smiles 07-29-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16536298)
Is the forum in the Twilight Zone tonight? I've refreshed my screen repeatedly and the pic of these cookies is just flat GONE from post #1. I KNOW it was there! It just vanished! So here's the pic again:

You're right! Lol! I remember seeing it there too and now it's gone. You're not crazy.

Tracy

kalatraza 07-29-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16536139)
That does sound interesting. I agree with Esther and Peggy. I'd love to hear more as you experiment.

What was the brownie recipe you tried?

Tracy

Will do! Trying to limit my treats these days so I'm not baking much, but when I do, I'll report in!

I tried the "chewy brownie" recipe from a new-to-me blog called lowcarb ella. It's sort of a "standard" lc recipe but with only one egg and ricotta cheese. It was the 3 T of ground psyllium husks that got my attention.

(I think the recipe could be fiddled with and made to work if anyone gives it a go. Typically I like a deep chocolate flavor and the ricotta was fighting that somehow. . . if you can spare the carbs, I'd add more cocoa and a little more liquid to compensate. Could also use a chocolate protein powder instead of vanilla. And powder the E and add a little stevia if that's what you use for sweetener. And sub greek yogurt or cream cheese for the ricotta, because it's soooo much cheaper. Or maybe just stick with a brownie recipe that you already know and love. LOL.)

kalatraza 07-29-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16535621)
I've done next to NO baking with psyllium husks. I know a lot of people do use it in breads and baked goods. I wouldn't know where to begin with amounts or anything, without trying a recipe someone had already cooked successfully with it.

I'm right there with you!!

rosethorns 07-29-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16536298)

Peggy that look so darn good, with cup of tea.

buttoni 07-30-2013 11:54 AM

I only ate 2 of them! hubby finished off all the rest! I figure that's a pretty reliable measure of whether a recipe's "good" or not. :)