Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   cauliflower rice (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808153-cauliflower-rice.html)

sherrymyra 07-16-2013 05:14 PM

cauliflower rice

I tried this for the first time tonight with a kind of meat and soup mixture I cooked up in the crock pot and put it on the "rice". It was so good. Honestly it is better than rice. Not sticky and goopy.

I have been yearning for beef stroganoff for years. I am definitely going to make it soon. :jumpjoy:

I bet the possibilities are endless if a person puts their mind to it.

rosethorns 07-16-2013 07:18 PM

I love it.:up: Now try the tator tots using the riced cauliflower.

sherrymyra 07-16-2013 08:48 PM

I sure will then.

Dottie 07-18-2013 05:44 PM

My favorite way is to do a chicken or shrimp fried rice.
Saute chicken or shrimp, toss in some finely chopped green onion, celery and broccoli (or peas and carrots if your carbs allow), chicken broth(just a touch), soy sauce, garlic and ginger, then stir fry the "rice" in for about 30 seconds. Move to the side and scramble in an egg, mix and yum!

sherrymyra 07-18-2013 06:10 PM

Dottie that sounds really good. Stir fry. Haven't had that for ages either.

Smiles 07-27-2013 07:48 PM

What is the best way to rice cauliflower in all of your experience?

Tracy

Patience 07-28-2013 05:41 AM

I cut into chunks and toss into food processor, using the sharp blade. I really don't remember how long . . . follow procedure recommended by Dana Carpender in one of her cookbooks, or maybe Fran McCullough, however that name is spelled.

rosethorns 07-28-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16533743)
What is the best way to rice cauliflower in all of your experience?

Tracy

I love Dottie's idea using water and a blender to rice it. I'll see if I can find it.

Dottie 07-28-2013 06:46 AM

I use the blender every time now, so easy.
Put a bag of thawed frozen cauliflower (or fresh, cut into flowerettes) in a blender, cover with water, hold down the lid and pulse a few times.
Pour through a fine mesh strainer and let drain a few minutes.
Perfect "rice" every time :)

IndieKim 07-28-2013 06:54 AM

Hi!

I eat a lot of Indian food, which previously meant a LOT of rice. I was thrilled to find a cauliflower rice recipe. Tried hand grating a head of cauli...what a pain. Tried in the food processor with water and got puree LOL...which was fine for mashed cauli :) Then tried dry cauli in another food processor (we have 5 of the things!) and got perfect riced cauli. It's been a lifesaver as I can continue to enjoy curry :)

Dottie 07-28-2013 07:07 AM

I never tried the food processor and water, but the blender works perfectly :)

rosethorns 07-28-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16533998)
Put a bag of thawed frozen cauliflower (or fresh, cut into flowerettes) in a blender, cover with water, hold down the lid and pulse a few times.

Great!! I knew it was Dottie. Thanks.

I use this way every time now.

tstarre 07-28-2013 08:42 AM

This sounds like a good trick to use my new Vitamix. I've been wanting to try cauliflower rice but to lazy to grate

Smiles 07-28-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16533998)

Thank you, Dottie! :hugs: This is the method I'll try. :)

Tracy

Olive 08-28-2013 09:10 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I tried cauliflower rice for the first time tonight. What was I thinking?!?! Why did I wait so long?!?! It is sooo good!

My favorite non-LC food is eating white rice with a protein in some sort of gravy (the creamier the better). This totally is satisfying that craving and sooo LC.

Freakin' life changing :)

froggyx6 08-29-2013 05:31 AM

Just marking my spot. :D

sherrymyra 08-29-2013 05:46 AM

I thought the same thing the first time I tried it.

IndieKim 08-29-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

My favorite non-LC food is eating white rice with a protein in some sort of gravy (the creamier the better). This totally is satisfying that craving and sooo LC
Olive! Please tell me how you make LC gravy!!! :help:

Olive 08-29-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndieKim (Post 16579830)
Olive! Please tell me how you make LC gravy!!! :help:

LOL, um let me think. I usually start out cooking diced onion and garlic in lots of butter until it gets transparent (pretty much, as soon as you can smell it). Then I add my protein, and cook over medium heat until just done, then take it out of the pan. Then I add 1 c of HWC to the protein drippings, stirring constantly. Maybe some black pepper and nutmeg at this point. I use an extra pat of butter or cream cheese to thicken as opposed to any kind of flour or starch.

Hope that helps. It's incredibly rich but that's the way I like it :yummy:

IndieKim 08-29-2013 10:36 AM

Oh man that sounds delish! Thanks so much Olive! Am doing roasted skin-on chicken breast tonight and was just thinking about how much I miss a good rich gravy *salivates*

Gabby1 08-29-2013 01:59 PM

I have tried a bunch of different ways to "rice" the cauliflower- including hand grater (what a mess!), blender and water technique (I think I just didnt do it right but I did not have great luck with this) and small food processor. My best results by far have been using the full size Cuisinart with the S blade: chop up the fresh cauli into uniform 1 inch pieces or so, add to the bowl, pulse maybe 10 times and PRESTO! :up:

I will usually rice one or two heads of cauli on the weekends and use it as a starch replacement all week- it keeps really well. Can easily be used as rice, mashed into fauxtatos, incorporated into a cauli-cheese pizza crust. I have even started making tortillas out of it by microwaving it, squeezing as much excess water as possible, adding an egg and a cup of cheese to the mix, then spreading it on a bake sheet and cooking for 20 min or so. These tortillas are very durable- even hold up to carnitas- with all the fixins!

Patience 08-29-2013 02:47 PM

Mine does fine the food processor without adding water. Like what Gabby is describing. Those tortillas sound worth a try.

Olive 08-29-2013 05:08 PM

I get perfect "rice" by chopping it into small-medium chunks (remove all stalk), boiling for 7 minutes and then pulsing through food processor ("chop" setting) about 10 seconds. I like my rice on the softer side though.

sherrymyra 08-29-2013 08:35 PM

Can frozen cauliflower be used to make rice? Sometimes a person just doesn't have a head of cauliflower on hand.

Dottie 08-30-2013 07:07 AM

Yes, I use frozen instead of fresh all the time:) Just thaw it first of you're going to do the water/blender method or it won't chop properly.

sligh 08-30-2013 07:23 AM

I just discovered using cauliflower rice to make "risotto". Dana Carpender has several variations of this in her 15 Minute Low Carb Recipes. The one I tried first was Mushroom Risotto, but now I plan to try all of them.

Jennifer Eloff 08-30-2013 01:30 PM

Dottie, I came in here especially to remark on your photo. I have never seen a pic of you until now. You are so lovely - very pretty! Thanks for sharing. :)

Dottie 08-30-2013 02:16 PM

Thank you, Jennifer :)

froggyx6 08-30-2013 03:21 PM

Either there is a shortage of cauliflower or there are a lot of low carbers here. I had to go to four different stores to find fresh and frozen cauliflower. I am well stocked now. :D

IndieKim 08-30-2013 04:51 PM

Same problem here froggy! I always can find fresh (which I prefer) but for convenience I like frozen, and frozen cauli is SO hard to find around here! :dunno: